Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow in eShop

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with the Wii U and 3DS eShop closing soon, I was wondering if I would still be able to use the online trade and battle features in the old Pokemon games (Red,Blue,Yellow versions)? Also, I would like to obtain Celebii, and have heard before that this can be done with the eShop versions somehow. Anyway, if anyone knows if I can buy, use the online features, and possibly get Celebii on these versions, any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

ShinyDarkrai47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Virtual console games have no online functionality, they only have local multiplayer. The closure of the eshop would not affect this.

2. Red, Blue and Yellow are Gen 1 games, Celebi is a Gen 2 Pokémon. You would have to play a Gen 2 game. Also, once again there are no online features (didn't even exist until DS/Gen 4), you would have to use some kind of cheats or save editing to enable any event.

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, my bad! I actually meant Gold, Silver, and Crystal. I heard something about getting Celebi in the 3DS version of Crystal is possible. Is that true?

ShinyDarkrai47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't play the VC gen 2 games extensively, so I took a look on Serebii to see if anthing was different.

https://www.serebii.net/crystal/celebi.shtml

Apparently the VC version of Crystal has an in-game event that gets you the item needed to obtain Celebi, so you can obtain it without any cheats or hacks, and it should be legal to transfer to future generations. This wouldn't normally be possible, but it looks like they went out of their way to make Celebi playable, I don't remembed them doing this for Mew. So I guess we both learned something!

VictorMoreno015

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea none of the VC games were ever online functional, just locally. The Virtual Console version of Crystal is modified to enable the Celebi event that would typically require a mobile service in Japan that was never released in the west. It is just postgame and takes 24 real world hours to enable the Celebi encounter. Unfortunately it won't be possible to obtain the R/B Event Mew but Celebi will be here to stay
Also this is the ONLY way to get a legitimate shiny Celebi if shiny hunted so take that as you will (aside from that one from Pokemon GO)

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to know. So.since I havw been out of the.Pokemon thing for.awhile, I am wondering what.shinies are. Especially, GSC. Are shinies in RBY as well? I would like to complete the Pokedex for Gen 1 and Gen 2 with the 3DS VC versions if possible.

ShinyDarkrai47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shiny Pokémon are rarer versions of mons that have a different color palette, and when they appear in the wild or pop out of a Pokéball they have a star effect. They exist from gen 2 onwards.

The difference is only aesthetic, but they're so rare that they're highly valued. In modern games the chance of a Pokémon being shiny is around 1/4000, and it's half of that in older games.

Reactions: neko_koneko

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea none of the VC games were ever online functional, just locally. The Virtual Console version of Crystal is modified to enable the Celebi event that would typically require a mobile service in Japan that was never released in the west. It is just postgame and takes 24 real world hours to enable the Celebi encounter. Unfortunately it won't be possible to obtain the R/B Event Mew but Celebi will be here to stay
Also this is the ONLY way to get a legitimate shiny Celebi if shiny hunted so take that as you will (aside from that one from Pokemon GO)
I see. Is there online battling or trading in the VC versions of GSC? Can you encounter Mew at all?

ShinyDarkrai47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there online battling or trading in the VC versions of GSC?
No, only local. You need to be in the same room as the other person.

Can you encounter Mew at all?
Not legitimately. You'd need to use a cheat code to change wild encounters, or if you somehow got one in a gen 1 game you might be able to trade one over from gen 1 (not sure if it can be done with VC, or if Bank would help).

If you have a modded 3DS you can just use PKSM (3DS) or PKHex (PC) to edit your save file and give yourself a Mew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1