Pokémon Rutile Ruby and Star Sapphire: OR/AS Challenge Mode ROMhack!

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Dio Vento, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Project Pokémon OP
    GBATemp OP
    Reddit /r/3dshacks OP
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Romhack of: Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (3DS)

Pokémon Rutile Ruby and Star Sapphire are romhacks of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Their main purpose is to provide a more challenging game experience while not artificially limiting the player. The premier feature of Rutile Ruby and Star Sapphire is the ground-up redesign of Pokémon Trainers in the world to increase the game's challenge. Every trainer in the game has been edited, and the level curve expects use of the Experience Share, which means that you level up very quickly. You should be hitting Level 100 by the time you get to the Elite Four.

The secondary focus of RR/SS is to function as a sort of "20XX Hack Pack" where everything obtainable is 100% legal for real online battles, and some features are designed to make preparing competitive teams much less of a hassle.

Pokémon Rutile Ruby and Star Sapphire now feature an official Strategy Guide! Download at the bottom of this thread.

As of Version 2.0, there are three builds available of RR/SS! They only differ in Wild Pokémon availability:
    • Legit Build: All Wild Pokémon are 100% legit for trade and will not appear as "hacked" by any legitimacy testers. Post-game foreign Pokémon are unlocked from the start, and rarities and Hordes are adjusted.
    • Leveled Build: Wild Pokémon are the same as in the Legit Build, but are leveled up to keep pace with RR/SS's harsh level curve. A quick adjustment in PKHeX (editing Met Level) will make them 100% legit.
    • 679 Build: Wild Pokémon are altered so that every non-Legendary non-Starter species is available, at the same level as the Leveled Build. Legendary encounters are not changed in this or any Build. Click here for the list of altered encounter tables.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]Trainer Changes[​IMG]

view spoiler for detailed changes
    • Harsher Level Curve: Balanced to the EXP Share!
    • All-New Trainer teams, many featuring six Pokémon! Even the rematches have been edited!
    • All Gym Leaders have six Pokémon!
    • Trainers throughout the game have access to Mega Evolution!
    • Alternate Battle Types are more common in the world!
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]Wild Pokémon Changes[​IMG]

• Post-game Foreign Pokémon are available from the beginning of the game!
    • Rarity within areas adjusted
    • Hordes optimized for painless and early EV training!
    • Lots more Wild Hold Items!
    • Everything caught in the Legit Build is 100% legit for trade!
    • Pokémon caught in the Leveled Build just need a Met Level adjustment to become 100% legit!
    • Almost every Pokémon is available in the 679 Build! The only ones missing are the Kanto and Kalos starters and any legendaries not available in OR/AS.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]Item Changes[​IMG]
    • Less useless junk in Poké Marts!
    • Sacred Ash available in addition to Revive. Revives cost much more, to discourage their use in battle (Sacred Ash is unusable during battle).
    • Competitive consumables are available in standard Poké Marts!
    • Slateport Market is now the go-to place to purchase competitive items like Leftovers and Life Orbs.
    • The Pickup table has been drastically buffed!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]Evolution Changes[​IMG]
    view spoiler for evolution methods
    • Trade Evolutions now have alternate methods. You can still evolve them through their normal trade methods.

[​IMG]Other Changes[​IMG]

• Eggs now hatch incredibly quickly. Every species now has a 1-cycle hatch rate. Note this doesn't apply to Event eggs or Traded eggs.
    • Switch Mode no longer reveals the incoming Pokémon.
    • Level 3 of the Hatching, Experience Gain, Friendship, and Money Gain O-Powers now last much longer.
    • Brendan and May have new outfits/designs.
    • Custom Title Screen!
    • Custom Banner and Icon for .cia installs!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]Installation Instructions[​IMG]

CFW + Luma3DS 7.0+ Installation (Recommended!)
    Requirements: N3DS/3DS/2DS with Luma3DS 7.0+ installed, Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (Cartridge, eShop, or CIA)
    • You must be on Luma3DS 7.0+. Any 3DS on a firmware version 11.3 or lower can install this by following the guide at http://3ds.guide.
    • Download and unzip the 7z file for your version and Build from the bottom of this thread.
    • Hold SELECT while booting your 3DS to open the Luma Configuration menu.
    • Enable "Enable Game Patching" and press START to save the setting.
    • Copy the luma folder to the root of your 3DS SD Card.
    • Launch OR/AS normally, it will be modified into RR/SS. You can tell based on the Title Screen and Brendan/May's outfit.

CFW + .CIA Installation
    Requirements: N3DS/3DS/2DS with Luma3DS CFW (8.0+), Godmode9 and FBI installed, Pokémon Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire (Cartridge or eShop/CIA)
    • You need a 3DS running Luma3DS CFW. All 3DS models on firmware versions 11.3 or lower can install CFW using this guide with no additional purchases/hardware/games necessary.
    • Installed Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire updates will cause conflicts with the Rutile Ruby or Star Sapphire mod when installed as a CIA or 3DS file. Uninstall any Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire updates before using a CIA or .3DS build of Rutile Ruby or Star Sapphire.

HANS installation (Homebrew Launcher, no CFW)
    Requirements: N3DS/3DS/2DS/N2DS with a way to launch the Homebrew Launcher, OR/AS (Cartridge or eShop)

[​IMG]Notes[​IMG]

• Any retail cartridges in the "Requirements" area can be replaced by a Sky3DS cartridge, but a Sky3DS cartridge cannot run Rutile Ruby or Star Sapphire directly.
    • If you're running this with HANS, it will use your regular OR/AS save file. To back up your original save file on a homebrew setup, use svdt (included!). Do not delete your save with a save manager! Delete it from within the game itself otherwise it will become corrupted and not boot!
    • It's pronounced "Ru-teel".
    • This ROM hack is capable of trading locally.
    • If using Hans to load the game, you can just run the game normally (from the 3DS System Menu) to play with updates active and online play enabled.
    • Since this hack makes no changes to save file structure, it works perfectly fine with Pokémon Bank.
    • If you're using a .3ds or .cia build of the game, uninstall all updates to OR/AS before playing and don't let the game update. If you update, you'll lose features.
    • Text has been edited for the English language only.
    • This is NOT designed for Nuzlocke play. It's meant to be challenging by itself without the players imposing their own rules on themselves, and a Nuzlocke will most likely lead to early failure. Grinding can only get you so far: the Elite Four are all Lv100 and packing six Pokémon. Boss battles play out like competitive matches, with them often revenge killing you, setting up, or pulling out surprise moves. This almost guarantees that a player will have at least one or two of their Pokémon faint, which is fun in regular play.
    • If you insist on the Nuzlocke Challenge, I recommend you use the Leveled or 679 Build of the game.

[​IMG]Special Thanks[​IMG]

• Kaphotics: for creating the stellar PK3DS.
    • SciresM: For making everything possible and coding the tools that form the base of PK3DS.
    • Asia81: For your excellent tutorial on decrypting, unpacking, and repacking 3DS roms and your Hacking Toolkit.
    • Reisyukaku: For Ohana3DS, which allowed me to edit the costumes for Brendan and May.
    • Pokefreak2112: For teaching me where the title logo files are.
    • smealum: For HANS, making piracy and specialized hardware unnecessary to run ROMhacks.
    • neobrain: For Braindump.
    • meladroit: For svdt.

[​IMG]Let's Plays[​IMG]
    Message me if you're doing a YouTube playthrough of these ROMs! I'll feature you in this section!

[​IMG]Change Log[​IMG]
    Current Version: v2.2
    • Fixed the Slowpoke ability bug
    • Added Drag and Drop support for Luma3DS 7.0+
    Version 2.1
    Version 2.0
    Version 1.3
    Version 1.2
    Version 1.1
    Version 1.0

[​IMG]Known Bugs[​IMG]
    • Horde, Triple, Rotation, and some Double trainers have empty text bubbles when spoken to - Currently unfixable, but only a cosmetic bug
    • In the 679 Build, some Pokémon don't show up in the DexNav.

[​IMG]Downloads[​IMG]
    Rutile Ruby: Legit, Leveled, 679
    Star Sapphire: Legit, Leveled, 679
    Official Strategy Guide v0.63 (Mirror)​

[​IMG]
    Donate with Bitcoin: 33Li7isUuJh4AfCjkS5ixqbzzCrEfDnvjb​

Last edited by Dio Vento, Sep 8, 2017
    Hol_Horse, mvciej, neonoafs and 23 others like this.

2. eldavo2090

eldavo2090 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2014
    Mexico
    Dinosaur Land, Donut Plains
    Time to spice up a little this game, hope now winning a badge feels like an accomplishment, because pokemon always is dreadfully easy...

3. DeathChaos25

DeathChaos25 Unmei wo kaeru!

Oct 21, 2015
    Nice!

Can confirm that Star Sapphire is fully working on 9.9.0.26U using HANS to load the romfs.

I decided to make a backup of my save, and delete it to start fresh with the hack.

Word of caution though, delete the save from within the game itself, do not attempt to delete the save with svdt or any other save managers, as this will simply tell you that the data is corrupted and the game will not be usable unless you copy your old save back in!

Ammako and eldavo2090 like this.
  4. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Edited your word of caution into the OP and the OP on Project Pokémon.

5. Yamanoko

Yamanoko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2015
    Italy
    Wait ... i'm on a 10.2 firmware console, i have OR Cartridge and no gateway ... should i rip my retail cartridge for apply the custom rom or what?
    Btw, i don't see any "rom" folder ...

Last edited by Yamanoko, Oct 27, 2015
  6. DeathChaos25

Oct 21, 2015
  7. Yamanoko

Yamanoko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2015
    Italy
    Ok searching trough google i found another Dio Vento's post which says: Fixed a minor issue: the folder containing the garc files in the distribution packs was named "rom" when it should be named "romfs". If you downloaded before this change, just rename the folder yourself.
    So what i actually did is:
    Run romfs builder.exe and selected romfs folder, then i saved as romfs.bin.
    Edited with HxD and then renamed to rruby.romfs -> copied into hans folder (not the 3ds one), but when i select Pokèmon Rutile Ruby on the Homebrew Channel that's what i got: [​IMG]

Last edited by Yamanoko, Oct 27, 2015
  8. DeathChaos25

Oct 21, 2015
    How big is your Rutile Ruby romfs file?

It should be 1.75GB

9. Yamanoko

Yamanoko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2015
    Italy
    Problem solved, sorry. I copied the wrong romfs file that's why it didn't work :P

10. Procyon

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    How do you get any pokemon, you can't get them all?

11. dannyboy941

dannyboy941 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2012
    I Have answer why does not work for me what you mean " delete up to line FF0"
    Should i Delete from 00000000 to 00000FF0? But that not working it freezes only i use the romfs from the rar file Witch Pokemon Ruby or Sapphire is this anyway is this EU or US? I had try with Pokemon Aqua Sapphire EU

12. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    If I'm reading this right, you're not extracting an existing ROM to get the main rom contents folder. You need to do that, then copy the romhack files over that, THEN recompress as a bin. Then after that, you open it in a hex editor and delete lines 00000000 to 00000FF0, save it as ssapphire.romfs (NOT .bin) and put it on your 3DS SD card. This works with any region Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby.

13. Yamanoko

Yamanoko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2015
    Italy
    Btw why it's called Blood Ruby and not Rutile Ruby?

14. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    I guess that's a bug, I used that name for some of the development process. You'll probably only see it if you're using Gateway to load it. Fix incoming.

15. Yamanoko

Yamanoko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2015
    Italy
    I do not have Gateway. I've the original cartridge + Ironhax/Hans.

16. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Where are you seeing "Blood Ruby" then?

17. Yamanoko

Yamanoko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2015
    Italy
    At the main screen, when you have to press Start.

18. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    Oh damn, I need to fix that. What language are you playing on?

19. Yamanoko

Yamanoko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2015
    Italy
    Italian. Maybe if i select English it will display Rutile Ruby?
    Btw, is not a big problem, i only want the difficulty increased xD

20. Dio Vento
    OP

Dio Vento GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    That'll do it, I probably left some of the non-English language title files with Blood Ruby. I'll fix when PK3DS stops being an ass when I try to edit them.

Last edited by Dio Vento, Dec 27, 2015