OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Trouble is I don't know too much about it myself... From what I've gathered, you need a program to capture WLAN traffic such as http://www.ethereal.com/ . You go to the download station, get your laptop ready to capture all traffic and then start downloading the demo on your DS. You should download the demo a few times to make sure you get all the data and don't miss a few packages. Then you bring all the data you capured to the gbadev.org forums and someone over there will probably know how to reassemble the demo from it. If you are seriously willing to try this you should probably ask for help on this thread: http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=58...der=asc&start=0

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry, no time for registration and digging stuff on the other forums.

So, 2 questions:
1. I need only to run the catching traffic program and download the demo a few times, right?
2. Is it legal? Won't I get fined?

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1. If you are close to the download station, a few times will probably be enough but to be honest, I've got no idea.
2. Who knows what's legal these days? I can't imagine anything being wrong with capturing the traffic. Distributing the captured traffic or the completed demo on the net could probably cause copyright issues.

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, I got the program, Ethereal 0.99. I'll try it later.

About legality of this. When I think about it now, I guess they just won't figure out what am I doing. And even if they ask, I'll say I'm just making notes of new games in the shop and stuff, shop clerks aren't that smart really. It'll be okay, I think.

jeffkong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It would be wonderful is someone could capture this

but there are also other transmitted DS demos in Japan that come out occasionally, it would be nice if those were captured as well from now on.

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
I`ll attempt it. Or at the very least have my husband attempt it - we are pretty well known customers at our local shop so they might allow us to get away with it. Especially since they were once selling used flashcarts.
Then again, carrying a laptop into the little shop would be about at suspicious as you can get. Hopefully their walls are thin enough that I can do it from outside. I know all the demos are lined against the inner wall, so there is a chance.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I`ll attempt it. Or at the very least have my husband attempt it - we are pretty well known customers at our local shop so they might allow us to get away with it. Especially since they were once selling used flashcarts.
Then again, carrying a laptop into the little shop would be about at suspicious as you can get. Hopefully their walls are thin enough that I can do it from outside. I know all the demos are lined against the inner wall, so there is a chance.

Good luck
smile.gif

Remember it's just a demo, there shouldn't be anything 'bad' about making a copy of it. This way more people get to try out the game. Maybe the shop will let you make a copy.

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country

Good luck
smile.gif

Remember it's just a demo, there shouldn't be anything 'bad' about making a copy of it. This way more people get to try out the game. Maybe the shop will let you make a copy.

Ahh indeed, good luck dude.

Regarding legalness I think you're right in that it is okay to make copies of the demo. But, as far as I know, it is illegal to "listen to", and especially store, wireless computer traffic without permission.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Actually, there's only one man who knows really well the procedure. If you have IRC, connect to irc.blitzed.org, go to either #dswifi or #dsdev and contact FireFly.
wink.gif

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
I attempted to connect from outside the shop, couldn`t even manage it with my DS.
Quite frankly, the shop is too small to carry a laptop into and not have people staring at you, so it`s basically a no go. There have been tons of people in there recently trying to reserve stuff to do with the Wii, so it`s really NOT a good time.
tongue.gif

Plus, our laptop is freaking huge and obvious. If it were a little thing it might be possible, but I`m not going to buy a new laptop just for this.

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
I`ll ask them when we pick up our Wii... But I really seriously highly doubt it.

Then again, I wouldn`t be surprised if they were denizens of 2ch and laughed it off and let us.

The big thing is, it`s our local gaming store. The best in our area. If we get in trouble there it will majorly SUCK. If it were somewhere on the other side of town that we never went to, sure, okay. But they have our address on file and know who we are.

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
I don`t plan to. I was going to ask if there was any way to get the demo on my laptop because "my DS is broken, and being repaired, but I`m afraid the demo will be gone when I get it back".

If they say no, then no. I`m not going to be stupid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill