Playing GameCube discs on Black Wii with a backup loader.

Kazmar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's kinda a silly thing, and while I could just play a backup of Pikmin 2 or Metroid Prime 2 as an ISO, there's something about playing off the actual disc too. I understand that the Family Edition doesn't play GameCube discs natively and all to cut costs (no GC ports), but in the end they're just discs, so surely they can still be read and launched through a piece of homebrew, right? Or, did they change the disc drive in such a way that mini-discs are no longer supported? I'll probably buy an actual GameCube eventually, but I'm still curious about this. I guess in the end, is there any way to play GameCube discs on a Wii that doesn't natively support it?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
try wiiflow loader it can read disk to dump and I never has been able to test running the disk from it, the problem is the GC controllers ports, I don¿t know if NintendoNT will help.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I know it's kinda a silly thing, and while I could just play a backup of Pikmin 2 or Metroid Prime 2 as an ISO, there's something about playing off the actual disc too. I understand that the Family Edition doesn't play GameCube discs natively and all to cut costs (no GC ports), but in the end they're just discs, so surely they can still be read and launched through a piece of homebrew, right? Or, did they change the disc drive in such a way that mini-discs are no longer supported? I'll probably buy an actual GameCube eventually, but I'm still curious about this. I guess in the end, is there any way to play GameCube discs on a Wii that doesn't natively support it?
there is some clamps to grab the mini dvds and they arent present on the newer wiis so its an hardware issue before you could even make it be an homebrew issue.

Reactions: CoolMe

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see then! Thanks for your help.
The drive does work with those discs, though. The clamps are missing, but the ability to read them still exists - unlike the Wii U drive. If you get an adapter, you can boot them with Nintendont. (You can even use MIOS... if you solder GCN inputs to the motherboard. Use Nintendont.)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The drive does work with those discs, though. The clamps are missing, but the ability to read them still exists - unlike the Wii U drive. If you get an adapter, you can boot them with Nintendont. (You can even use MIOS... if you solder GCN inputs to the motherboard. Use Nintendont.)
just for that type of work to modify a disc drive is better to buy another wii lol they are dirt cheap.

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y