Play your Sega Genesis games in widescreen with the new experimental Genesis Plus GX Wide emulator

AkmGsl0.png

After working on bringing the decompiled versions of the classic Sonic mobile ports, to the Nintendo Switch @heyheyitsjoeway has a new project that's just released. It's a fork of the Genesis Plus GX emulator, with a rather cool experimental function: widescreen. The emulator takes Genesis/Mega Drive games and outputs them at a 16:9 ratio. The emulator is currently available on RetroArch and is on a handful of platforms, including the Nintendo Switch, Android, Windows, 3DS, and the PlayStation Vita among others. Certain games such as Gunstar Heroes and Ristar work nicely, but others will require custom patching in order to display correctly. Heyjoeway has an autopatcher that works with Sonic 1, with support for Sonic 2 on the way soon.

First, make sure you update the Core info files. To do this, go to Online Updater, and select ‘Update Core Info Files’.

There are two ways to install and/or update the Genesis Plus GX Wide core: a – If you have already installed the core before, you can go to Online Updater and select ‘Update Installed Cores’. b – If you haven’t installed the core yet, go to Online Updater, ‘Core Updater’, and select ‘Sega – MS/GG/MD/CD (Genesis Plus GX)’ from the list. It will then download and install this core.

:arrow: Source

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
You know how Sonic fans are. They aren't comfortable if Sonic 1 isn't ported and available in a variety of playable ways on every platform to ever exist since the dawn of mankind.
as a sonic fan myself i think i speak for everyone when i say we are tired of the genesis ports

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
as a sonic fan myself i think i speak for everyone when i say we are tired of the genesis ports
How many times can you replay the same game, right? But we're not yet in a year when we can expect the same for sonic adventure. Eventually it'll be the new game to be ported everywhere, i guess.
If only someone ported sonic R to ANYTHING. PSP, 3DS, Android. Whatever you want, just give me an excuse to play it once more

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does someone know how well the widescreen works with hacks like Sonic Classic Heroes and Sonic 3 Complete?
Well, if you're familiar with the widescreen on BSNES, it should seem familiar. Showing off the loading seem that looks more unappealing than a nes game. Is visually distracting most of the time. Haven't found a decent game that works well with it.

If that ONE SINGLE PATCH for sonic 1 is anything to go by.... we will need loads of patches for the rest of the games. Unless the creator maybe makes a auto patcher built into the emulator that detects the game and then fixes it. :ninja:

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember using the widescreen patch when I played Persona 3. I can't wait to see all of the stuff the devs hid on the edges of the screen that we weren't meant to see during normal gameplay. It's gonna be glitch-tastic.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ