Hacking Play backup PS1/2 copies on BC ps3, how?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that Swap Magic can be used on a BC ps3 to play burned PS2 games, but can this practice also work for copied PS1 games too?

Been itching for a while to finally retire my aging, modchipped PS2, given that the games simply look much better on the same TV (even when using the same video cables). Currently running CFW if that helps any (though probably wouldn't matter at this point either). I understand also that through SwapMagic, I could even employ HDLoaderlike functionality... so if it is indeed the one thing I need so I can enjoy my backups again, it'll give me a reason to look into a separate external hard drive for it.
biggrin.gif

And if Swap Magic is indeed "all I need", where would be a good, reputable* place that I could buy from? Much obliged and grateful for any assistance.
nayps3.gif

* By reputable, I mean a place that will ship to the US (and may even be based in the states), that is listed with a positive history on ResellerRatings.com

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think there is a way to play ps1 games that are burned but what system do you have if it's the fat model's you may be able to... i found a youtube video of it. let me know if you want to see sadly i can't do it on mine cause it's slim.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok here's the video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yE5iLwgruw[/youtube]

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eech... and considering that my BD drive still works perfectly fine, as he suggested I'd probably rather not go that far. Not to mention just the sheer amount of heat and dust to contend with with that method.
frown.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There is a new Dongle (named Cobra USB) which allows the launch of Original PS2 and ISO of PS1/PS2/PS3 (iso format, not PS3 jailbreak dump)/DVD/BLURAY.
Playing PS2 game with Cobra USB is compatible with BC PS3 and with non BC PS3 (using the official PS2 software emulator included in every PS3. It's slow but said to work).

Unfortunately, it's still only for OFW 3.41 (the team said they will make one for 3.55).
It could become compatible with the future cfw from Jaicrab, as he released the Cobra Dongle keys (but we have no more informations on his cfw).

edit:
too bad, it seems the cobra is not compatible with .sub files (subchannel dump).
Protected games will need to be patched (like FF8, Valkyrie profile, etc.)
and out of region games are said not working properly.

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Cyan said:
There is a new Dongle (named Cobra USB) which allows the launch of Original PS2 and ISO of PS1/PS2/PS3 (iso format, not PS3 jailbreak dump)/DVD/BLURAY.
Playing PS2 game with Cobra USB is compatible with BC PS3 and with non BC PS3 (using the official PS2 software emulator included in every PS3. It's slow but said to work).

Unfortunately, it's still only for OFW 3.41 (the team said they will make one for 3.55).
It could become compatible with the future cfw from Jaicrab, as he released the Cobra Dongle keys (but we have no more informations on his cfw).

edit:
too bad, it seems the cobra is not compatible with .sub files (subchannel dump).
Protected games will need to be patched (like FF8, Valkyrie profile, etc.)
and out of region games are said not working properly.

I just read about the Cobra USB supporting PSX isos from the HDD and now even PS2! Was pretty shocked not to find any news of this on Gbatemp at all, loading PSX isos from the HDD
is something I always wanted to do and my only console that can't do it yet
biggrin.gif
. Subchannel data shouldn't matter so much, not a single USA game has Libcrypt protection on it and
in the case of the European protected games, you can just convert the Redump image + .sbi to bin/cue with sbi2sub.exe. This is wonderful news! Haven't found too much information on the PSX/PS2 compatibility or performance though.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be great... if I could have afforded an external hard disk to archive all those PS1 game ISOs back then. But unfortunately, all of those are basically already on disc.

k4sHmuNn1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your best bet would be to use QA flag to downgrade to 3.41. Then use the Cobra dongle to play ps2/ps1 isos from the HDD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...