Hacking Question Pikachu-bricked my Switch and want to learn nand backups

DonAlex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For my 1st switch its too late, but i got already a 2nd one.

I dont want to lose it again, so I got some questions.

I use sxos and want to use the latest switch version.

1. do i have to make a new nand backup every time i update my switch to a new version over the switch itself (nintendo servers)?
2. if i made a 4.0.1 nand backup full. And update over nintendo to 6.1.0, the 4.0.1 cant be restored to 4.0.1 because i burned fuses right?
3. Should i try to update without burning fuses? Or ist that something for the other users and not that much for the sxos users?

Would be nice if i get a bit of help, I f***** my first switch and now here to understand a bit more :)

andre1891

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1.Each Time you do an Software Update you need to make a new NAND Backup
2. Right, you need to setup a NAND again. Dont Backup with the 4.01 Software,otherwise your Switch would be bricked
3. When your wanna use Atmosphere later and the "full Emunand support" Than its better to keep on 4.1 but no one knows when its released

Best thing to do in my opinion is:
1.Restore a Clean NAND Backup (When your Switch isnt clean anymore, otherwise skip this step)
2. Install EMUNAND with SXOS
3. Update EMUNAND Offline with Choujurnx
4. You can keep you OFW on Sysnand on 4.1 when you dont want to play online with it (Otherwise when you wanna Play Online Update it to latest Firmware)
5: Making an full NAND Backup again with Hekate

Now you can use ur EMUNAND for all Homebrew or NSP or other things like that.
And playing your legit Games on Sysnand.

As I remembered right this is still the safest way to defence abaout that NSP Bricks and Online Playing (But nothing related to Online is 100% safe ;-D )

Last edited by andre1891,

BlackTSQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
1. do i have to make a new nand backup every time i update my switch to a new version over the switch itself (nintendo servers)?
2. if i made a 4.0.1 nand backup full. And update over nintendo to 6.1.0, the 4.0.1 cant be restored to 4.0.1 because i burned fuses right?

As far as i know you don't need to make a new backup after every update. But if your fuse count doesn't match your Backups fuse count you can't boot into OFW. You can still boot into CFW and update your OFW until the fuses match again.

If you update with choidujournx you can avoid burning fuses and go back to an older firmware with your backup at anytime.

Just be carefull, updates don't burn fuses, booting into OFW does. So if your fuse count doesn't match your OFWs you should only boot into CFW, otherwise your fuses will get burnt.
Choidujournx activates AutoRCM to avoid that.

lemon07r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For my 1st switch its too late, but i got already a 2nd one.

I dont want to lose it again, so I got some questions.

I use sxos and want to use the latest switch version.

3. Should i try to update without burning fuses? Or ist that something for the other users and not that much for the sxos users?

Would be nice if i get a bit of help, I f***** my first switch and now here to understand a bit more :)

1. No, but it can save time if you don't do updates again after restore, but I would rather just keep only the "clean" NAND backup of my switch in it's initial state. Unless you burn all your fuses, but I believe there is a way to ignore fuse count when restoring? Not sure, don't quote me on that.
2. Yeah, but you can update to 6.1.0 through ChoiDujourNX instead of over nintendo servers without burning fuses, look at steps 2 and 3 here:
https://guide.sdsetup.com/#/manualupdate
3. Yes, look at my answer for step 2, I suggest you update via that method to avoid burning fuses.

I also suggest using 90dns to avoid connecting to nintendo (step 3 here):
https://guide.sdsetup.com/#/safetyprecautions
Follow step 1 for the guide linked above ^ to backup your nand.

You can follow this guide here to safely manage your backup and save space on your hard drive too:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/quick-n...-your-backups-and-make-them-fail-safe.523678/

nachuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
1.Each Time you do an Software Update you need to make a new NAND Backup
2. Right, you need to setup a NAND again. Dont Backup with the 4.01 Software,otherwise your Switch would be bricked
3. When your wanna use Atmosphere later and the "full Emunand support" Than its better to keep on 4.1 but no one knows when its released

Best thing to do in my opinion is:
1.Restore a Clean NAND Backup (When your Switch isnt clean anymore, otherwise skip this step)
2. Install EMUNAND with SXOS
3. Update EMUNAND Offline with Choujurnx
4. You can keep you OFW on Sysnand on 4.1 when you dont want to play online with it (Otherwise when you wanna Play Online Update it to latest Firmware)
5: Making an full NAND Backup again with Hekate

Now you can use ur EMUNAND for all Homebrew or NSP or other things like that.
And playing your legit Games on Sysnand.

As I remembered right this is still the safest way to defence abaout that NSP Bricks and Online Playing (But nothing related to Online is 100% safe ;-D )
ONLY USE EMUNAND IF YOU USE FAT32, OTHERWISE YOU CAN LEAD TO A CORRUPTION

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh