Quick NAND Backup Management Guide, reduce the size of your backups and make them fail-safe

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by lemon07r, Nov 18, 2018.

1. lemon07r
    OP

lemon07r Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2015
    Canada
    EDIT: DO NOT UPDATE TO 6.2.0.
    More Info
    I highly recommend backing up your NAND in case you mess up your switch, it's much easier than most would think.
    I hope to make it even more simple with this guide. Backing your switch up doesn't need to be hard or resource heavy with the right know how.
    Yes some of this might be common knowledge to some, but we all have to learn these things from somewhere and maybe there will be one or two things to pick up from here even if you are an expert.
    This is supposed to be an easy and simple guide for those who haven't yet to help encourage more people to make backups so they don't make expensive paperweights out of their consoles.

NAND BACKUP
    Quick and simple guide for backing up with Hekate
    BACKUP INTEGRITY
    After you've copied your backups somewhere I recommend you make a "Simple File Verification" (*.SFV) file, which does as you would think.
    Quick guide on how to install QuickSFV and use it to do as such
    We basically want to make a *.SFV file using a tool like QuickSFV so we can use the *.SFV file we made to validate whether or not our backup files are corrupt.
    Files can go corrupt from things like drive failure, transfer errors, network issues during download/upload, etc.
    It's important that we can make sure our backup files aren't corrupt when we need them.

BACKUP COMPRESSION
    Last step (which suggest doing to save a lot of storage space) is compressing the files you backed up AND the SFV file you made earlier to a zip (quickest), rar (safest, moderately fast, good compression) or 7zip archive (highest compression/smallest archive size, but slowest compression/decompression speed).
    Choosing the compression method that's best for you
    EXTRA STEPS/CONCLUSION
    Testing, Validation, and Storage
    All these steps took a little over half hour all together for me, and will be a lot less for you if you've already dumped your NAND from Hekate.
    If you followed all these steps, you'll have your NAND backed up safely and easily to a lot of places with a lot of methods to verify integrity while taking up minimal storage space.

Too hard or too many steps for you?
    Do the bare minimum (3 easy steps) to save storage space

Last edited by lemon07r, Nov 23, 2018
    Regingz, memnon8711, tiliarou and 3 others like this.
  2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Thread was edited.

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Nov 19, 2018
    Itzumi likes this.
  3. lemon07r
    OP

lemon07r Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2015
    Canada
    Mainly posted it for the steps after. Made it for a friend who was complaining about how much space his backups was taking

4. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Then I have a suggestion. Create a tutorial and name it something like "How to shrink your NAND backup with 7z".

5. lemon07r
    OP

lemon07r Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah, probably could have been named better, like "Quick guide to managing your NAND backup".

6. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    Tbh if you put something like "Nand storage size reduction" I would have clicked much faster :) still useful as I haven't messed with file compression before, cheers

7. lemon07r
    OP

lemon07r Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah, I really could have named this post better. Not sure how to change the title @Joe88 @Depravo @Chary
    I think it would have been titled better as something like "Quick NAND Backup Management Guide, reduce the size of your backups and make them fail-safe"

EDIT: Thank you whichever gbatemp god or goddess that helped me.

Last edited by lemon07r, Nov 18, 2018
    Chary likes this.
  8. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    got your wish (:

lemon07r likes this.
  9. NoSoul81

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Hey at least he's trying to contribute. I'm new to Switch and it helped me.

10. benheisenberg

benheisenberg Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2018
    Germany
    this is super useful

lemon07r likes this.
  11. palantine

palantine GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2014
    Italy
    If you want to back up your nand, use reinx toolkit. Its safer and much much faster even on low quality SD cards.

12. NoSoul81

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Does it matter that mine looks different? I have BOOT0 BOOT1 (4,096 KB each) and rawnand.bin (30,535,680 KB).

What the OP shows is eMMC BOOT0_1 eMMC RAW.GCC (folders) and eMMC Hash.sfv. Can I just make the folders? I didn't do the sfv yet is that why?

I'd be afraid to restore these if I had to because they're different.

Last edited by NoSoul81, Nov 19, 2018
  13. palantine

palantine GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2014
    Italy
    all you need is boot0 boot1 and rawnand.bin

Along with the SBK and TSEC keys that is everything you need to safely restore from ANY brick. I can't speak for the format used there but the point is there are many different ways to do it so you need not worry. It is possible to convert the data to another format later as long as you have it all.

14. lemon07r
    OP

lemon07r Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2015
    Canada
    Yours looks how it should, I just separated my BOOT1 and BOOT0 backups to a folder called eMMC BOOT0_1 and my rawnand.bin to a folder called eMMC RAW GPP on my own so I could remember which is which, but that's entirely unneeded.

TL;DR we have the exact same files, I just have them saved in different folder that I made myself.

NoSoul81 likes this.
  15. NoSoul81

NoSoul81 GBAtemp Maniac

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Appreciate it.

Last edited by NoSoul81, Nov 19, 2018
  16. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Because he edited it while I wasn't here. It was different when I wrote it.

17. lemon07r
    OP

lemon07r Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2015
    Canada
    I hope nobody updated to 6.2.0 by accident or at least has backups saved somewhere.

Yes, many improvements and revisions were made. I don't mind feedback.

Last edited by lemon07r, Nov 23, 2018
  18. phillyrider807

phillyrider807 GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2009
    United States
    Not sure if I did anything wrong but I used 7zip to zip up my back up and it only saved me 4gb (zipped up archive is 24 while unzipped is 29)

Is this all I can save ??

19. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    You probably had only 4GB of free space because of the games you installed into the NAND (I guess)

20. phillyrider807

phillyrider807 GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2009
    United States

There’s no games installed. It’s a backup before I did anytype of homebrew