Tutorial  Updated

Quick NAND Backup Management Guide, reduce the size of your backups and make them fail-safe

EDIT: DO NOT UPDATE TO 6.2.0.
6.2.0 currently breaks all CFW.
If you did by accident I hope you have backups to restore to! Last safe version is 6.1.0, I recommend staying on 5.1.0 if possible, you should be able to all or most current titles if you install with tinfoil using the ignore minimum required firmware option.
Use 90DNS to block connections to Nintendo so you don't get asked to update, even banned consoles will be prompted to update.
If you did accidentally update without a backup, backup your 6.2.0 console then try to downgrade with Choidujour.
I highly recommend backing up your NAND in case you mess up your switch, it's much easier than most would think.
I hope to make it even more simple with this guide. Backing your switch up doesn't need to be hard or resource heavy with the right know how.
Yes some of this might be common knowledge to some, but we all have to learn these things from somewhere and maybe there will be one or two things to pick up from here even if you are an expert.
This is supposed to be an easy and simple guide for those who haven't yet to help encourage more people to make backups so they don't make expensive paperweights out of their consoles.

NAND BACKUP
https://guide.sdsetup.com/#/configuringhekate
lXxT5rs.png

You can also use the ReiNX Toolkit to dump your NAND (same as backing up your "eMMC RAW GPP" with Hekate), Boot0, and Boot1 (same as backing up your "eMMC BOOT0/1" with Hekate).
These are the files that your backup should consist of and will be all you need to restore your switch in most cases.
Just keep in mind you can't restore with the toolkit and will still need to use something like Hekate to restore your NAND, Boot0, and Boot1.
BACKUP INTEGRITY
After you've copied your backups somewhere I recommend you make a "Simple File Verification" (*.SFV) file, which does as you would think.
We basically want to make a *.SFV file using a tool like QuickSFV so we can use the *.SFV file we made to validate whether or not our backup files are corrupt.
Files can go corrupt from things like drive failure, transfer errors, network issues during download/upload, etc.
It's important that we can make sure our backup files aren't corrupt when we need them.

BACKUP COMPRESSION
Last step (which suggest doing to save a lot of storage space) is compressing the files you backed up AND the SFV file you made earlier to a zip (quickest), rar (safest, moderately fast, good compression) or 7zip archive (highest compression/smallest archive size, but slowest compression/decompression speed).
- I suggest compressing to a zip file (use 7zip or your system's built in file manager) if your computer is slow or you just don't want to spend much time.
- 7zip (LZMA2) is the best making the absolute smallest size archives, but the difference isn't that large, and the performance costs for compressing/decompressing is much larger. I only recommend this if you have a high end computer with a good amount of RAM and a decent CPU or if you have a lot of time to spare.
https://www.7-zip.org/
- I like RAR (use WinRAR for this) best for making "safe" backups because you can add a recovery record which is useful for recovering/repairing your data in the event something bad happens (e.a. corrupt data from transfer), I suggest using at least a 3% record which should only take up to around 10-15mb of extra storage space.
https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

If you don't know what to pick I suggest just compressing with WinRAR to a RAR (fast setting) with a recovery record between 2% to 5%.
I was able to easily compress my 32gb backup to just over 400mb WITH a 3% recovery record using the fast compression setting (solid, 1gb dictionary, use a smaller dictionary if you don't have much ram).
x9okiGK.png
EXTRA STEPS/CONCLUSION
Extract the archive you made somewhere to test and verify the files with the extracted *.SFV file if you want to be extra careful and see if the archive is good.
Once that's done you can deleted everything but the archive you've made, you only need the archive you've made now and just need to extract the archive if you ever do need your NAND backup files.
You can also create a *.SFV file for the archive you've made to validate the archive itself before extracting since the archive can also get corrupted when downloading/uploading/transferring data.

Keep and copy your archive to multiple places for safe keeping, it will relatively be a much smaller file now and can easily be stored to a USB drive, or uploaded online to somewhere like Dropbox, Google Drive, pCloud, Mediafire, MEGA, OneDrive, Zippyshare, Box etc.

Hopefully by now you have something like this (Google Drive)
iAQwZhZ.png

or this (OneDrive)
DLTr03V.png
All these steps took a little over half hour all together for me, and will be a lot less for you if you've already dumped your NAND from Hekate.
If you followed all these steps, you'll have your NAND backed up safely and easily to a lot of places with a lot of methods to verify integrity while taking up minimal storage space.

Too hard or too many steps for you?
WINDOWS
1. Right-click the folder containing your backup files.
2. Mouse over "Send to" then click "Compressed (zipped) folder"
3. I lied, it was just 2 steps. That's it, your backup files are now stored to a zipped folder and will take up much less space.

Last edited by lemon07r,

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tbh if you put something like "Nand storage size reduction" I would have clicked much faster :) still useful as I haven't messed with file compression before, cheers

lemon07r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tbh if you put something like "Nand storage size reduction" I would have clicked much faster :) still useful as I haven't messed with file compression before, cheers

Yeah, I really could have named this post better. Not sure how to change the title @Joe88 @Depravo @Chary
I think it would have been titled better as something like "Quick NAND Backup Management Guide, reduce the size of your backups and make them fail-safe"

EDIT: Thank you whichever gbatemp god or goddess that helped me.

Last edited by lemon07r,
Reactions: Chary

palantine

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you want to back up your nand, use reinx toolkit. Its safer and much much faster even on low quality SD cards.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it matter that mine looks different? I have BOOT0 BOOT1 (4,096 KB each) and rawnand.bin (30,535,680 KB).

What the OP shows is eMMC BOOT0_1 eMMC RAW.GCC (folders) and eMMC Hash.sfv. Can I just make the folders? I didn't do the sfv yet is that why?

I'd be afraid to restore these if I had to because they're different.

Last edited by ,

palantine

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
all you need is boot0 boot1 and rawnand.bin

Along with the SBK and TSEC keys that is everything you need to safely restore from ANY brick. I can't speak for the format used there but the point is there are many different ways to do it so you need not worry. It is possible to convert the data to another format later as long as you have it all.

lemon07r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does it matter that mine looks different? I have BOOT0 BOOT1 (4,096 KB each) and rawnand.bin (30,535,680 KB).

What the OP shows is eMMC BOOT0_1 eMMC RAW.GCC (folders) and eMMC Hash.sfv. Can I just make the folders? I didn't do the sfv yet is that why?

I'd be afraid to restore these if I had to because they're different.

Yours looks how it should, I just separated my BOOT1 and BOOT0 backups to a folder called eMMC BOOT0_1 and my rawnand.bin to a folder called eMMC RAW GPP on my own so I could remember which is which, but that's entirely unneeded.

TL;DR we have the exact same files, I just have them saved in different folder that I made myself.

Reactions: EmulateLife

phillyrider807

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if I did anything wrong but I used 7zip to zip up my back up and it only saved me 4gb (zipped up archive is 24 while unzipped is 29)

Is this all I can save ??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.