Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
There aren't also 90% of people in this discussion that offer modchip installs, but everyone who makes money on installs should do it the proper way and install a permanent dat0 point
I do it if someone asks me, I do not do it voluntarily

Besides, most of you should be addressed as HWFLY fanboys too since the majojrity uses this adapter.

Deleted member 666880

Trophies
XP
Because a solid connection is always better than a "leaning on the ball" adapter. It's simple science.
That's fair enough, but simple science would've also dictated that reflowing the adapter with a different solder alloy than used under the chip would cause issues later down the line, but people did it anyway. I think that was the recommended approach by the manufacturer themselves at the time though.

Found the HWFLY fanboy...
Ouch...I thought I was offering a pretty balanced take on the issue, but I shouldn't be surprised in the Picofly thread.

Don't forget the emmc is not explicitly designed to be interfaced physically with that way, unlike the examples you have given.
The man in the middle pcbs are the best way as then you don't have to scratch/cut the board to access the clk/cmd lines (in the case of a oled switch) and have a solid connection
I actually agree with you completely, my point was rather that it shouldn't be considered the only proper for a reliable install. I don't do this "professionally" though, so I don't have any stake in the game either way.

snaker

Trophies
Website
biohazard-era.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I've soldered many OLED switches with a dat0 adapter, hwfly and picofly, and got zero problems even a year later.
It works well if you use a good adapter. One thing you shouldn't do is to add pressure to the adapter wile soldering it permanetly.
I also use high quality adapters and i have yet no returns after over 8 months. The difference with you is that i always use presure on the adapter when sordering it and i didnt have any problems so far.

Reactions: swutch

Takezo-San

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
That's fair enough, but simple science would've also dictated that reflowing the adapter with a different solder alloy than used under the chip would cause issues later down the line, but people did it anyway. I think that was the recommended approach by the manufacturer themselves at the time though.
Stop talking out of your ass. Simple science he says. Factory solder is not lead based. Solder that isn't lead based has a poorer electrical connection than lead based. So reballing, not reflowing, with lead based solder is literally...better than factory. If you want to give cheapo version oled mods to people, go ahead but don't come here with distorted facts to make yourself feel better about the sub par work you do.

Deleted member 666880

Trophies
XP
Stop talking out of your ass. Simple science he says. Factory solder is not lead based. Solder that isn't lead based has a poorer electrical connection than lead based. So reballing, not reflowing, with lead based solder is literally...better than factory. If you want to give cheapo version oled mods to people, go ahead but don't come here with distorted facts to make yourself feel better about the sub par work you do.

That's a pretty over the top response to that post, but by all means. I imagine leaded solder may in fact be more conductive, but I'd be surprised if the electrical characteristics affect the functionality of the eMMC in a meaningful way

And again, I never claimed to be a professional installer. I'm pretty happy with my work and it meets the needs of the people I know, so that's good enough for me.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Leaded solder have been used longer than unleaded have been. It probably will be a lot better for the emmc long term than the factory solder.

What people do that reball, they remove all the old balls, and exchange them for new. It's not just a reflow they do, at least they shouldn't do it.

Reactions: QuiTim

Deleted member 666880

Trophies
XP
Leaded solder have been used longer than unleaded have been. It probably will be a lot better for the emmc long term than the factory solder.

What people do that reball, they remove all the old balls, and exchange them for new. It's not just a reflow they do, at least they shouldn't do it.

You're right, I probably wasn't clear that I'm talking about two different things: reballing the eMMC vs. reflowing the DAT0 adapter in place as an example.

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I also use high quality adapters and i have yet no returns after over 8 months. The difference with you is that i always use presure on the adapter when sordering it and i didnt have any problems so far.
Whatever works, but it isn't necessary and can causes unnecessary stress on the solder joint if the pressure is to high.
Problems can also be caused by using too little heat to make a stable permanten connection.

Last edited by swutch,
Reactions: snaker

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Chill. The person was talking about REFLOWING, not once did he mention anything about reballing. So, what he said is actually true, if you mix your own solder with that available under the chip the bond will actually be weaker which is quite evident why some people have problems later on after reflowing. Every approach has its flaws.

Reactions: Razorbacktrack

Danook28

Trophies
XP
Country
Oman
The dat0 adapter that come with hwfly chip oled is very good first try and it conect under chip with no reflow chip.or use heat gun. I think the best type. And can buy it only nice price 10 adapter. And also mini dat0 adapter also good working perfectly. Very strong made i soldering and desolder 3 to 4 time it still same with heat tip..
Wating for the order and well mode 2 oled console.

Attachments

• IMG_20230717_024432.jpg
    IMG_20230717_024432.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: QuiTim

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: POC (Proof of Concept)

Modify the adapter little bit.
View attachment 373066

Shift it slightly to the right.
View attachment 373067

The diode value will not be different, when Dat1 Short Circuit (SC) with Dat0.
Its around 600.

When Dat1 SC with the Dat0 picofly will throws error:
=*== eMMC test failure - read failed

I've confirmed this and the picofly working until nosd shown (by shift the adapter a little bit to right).
Thanks for this, If dat1 is shorted with dat0, does that kill the chip?

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From that same post you just quoted:
When Dat1 SC (short circuits) with the Dat0 picofly will throws error:
=*== eMMC test failure - read failed
As to whether this "kills the chip" or not, it has a very high probability of corrupting the chip.

roxzii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Reball Mafia here yes

i only recommend it for installing since they should be knowing what they are doing if the offe modchip installs.

there is a hugh difference beetween a usb device hdmi device the a Dat0 adapter that can corrupt ur emmc.
plus usb devices and hdmi devices have a more reliable connection then the dat0 adaptor if u get my point....

if u offer something u should be able to take ur time and do it properly ;-) and a dat0 adapter is not properly if u get my point ;-)
Hey!

Do you mind if I ask what setup you use for reballing the eMMC? I was thinking of just ordering the stencil and solder paste.

Do you use one of those jigs with a proper measured stencil?

Do you use solder balls or solder paste?

Best regards!

abal1000x

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Might not kill the emmc, but possible to corrupt the data.
Post automatically merged:

Follows the recent post theres is heat discussion on reball and adapter :D

Reball always the best solution but not everyone have the tool, skill or heart to do it.

But in oled i don't think i will focus on adapter. Because there is green adapter, which pinout the clk/cmd/dat0. So reball not only fix the problematic dat0 adapter, but also avoid scratching the high risk clk pad.

Still waiting my green adapter to come. I create my own on jlcpcb, which might lesser the price. Its $2 for 5pcs. Not yet confirmed its working or not. Might report back when finish playing around with the adapter.
a.png

Last edited by abal1000x,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Might not kill the emmc, but possible to corrupt the data.
Post automatically merged:

Follows the recent post theres is heat discussion on reball and adapter :D

Reball always the best solution but not everyone have the tool, skill or heart to do it.

But in oled i don't think i will focus on adapter. Because there is green adapter, which pinout the clk/cmd/dat0. So reball not only fix the problematic dat0 adapter, but also avoid scratching the high risk clk pad.

Still waiting my green adapter to come. I create my own on jlcpcb, which might lesser the price. Its $2 for 5pcs. Not yet confirmed its working or not. Might report back when finish playing around with the adapter.
View attachment 385912
Don't you still need to ball that pcb and the underside of it to hook it to the switch?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: Idk