Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

jacobtc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm struggling getting the DAT0 adaptor to seat where it should. It seems to only get a 0.7V diode reading when shifted slightly right, but that seems to be a ball width, so the reading I'm getting is probably from a neighbouring ball under the EMMC. Is this normal? I tried with two adaptors, and both can only slide under when in this position.
IMG_3038.jpg

Switxh

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm struggling getting the DAT0 adaptor to seat where it should. It seems to only get a 0.7V diode reading when shifted slightly right, but that seems to be a ball width, so the reading I'm getting is probably from a neighbouring ball under the EMMC. Is this normal? I tried with two adaptors, and both can only slide under when in this position. View attachment 385835
That's the worst kind of adapter. Probably doesn't feel like it fits nicely because the contact is too big on that one.

Reactions: QuiTim

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What adaptor would you recommend?
I think there's no good answer to that, because there's no way of knowing which adapter you'll receive when ordering from AliExpress. However, you should be able to modify your adapter to make it fit. There's instructions somewhere in this thread which will tell you how to do that. Let me search that up for you

Reactions: Razorbacktrack

jacobtc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks! The thread has become quite long, so it is difficult to find whether someone has done modifications etc.

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not against any of these of these methods but you people ignore risks involved in every technique. Using an adapter would not have the same outcome of drilling a freaking hole in a PCB rendering it useless if something goes wrong.
Post automatically merged:

I bought a brand new oled logic board for $135 on ebay not too long ago. There's no way a damaged logic board would sell for that much unless you're getting scammed.
But isn't it true that the adaptor could touch dat1 and kill the emmc as well? I myself push it as furthest to the right to avoid something I can't even see. That's why I'm intrigued to reball to see what I'm doing.

I bought a couple of x96 Android boxes since they use the same Emmc chip as Switches, I'll keep practicing till I'm comfortable enough to do the mod the right way.

To those interested, follow the art of repair on YouTube. The guy is an excellent teacher.

FreeLander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kamikaze mod/drilling is not meant to be used for beginner at first place, and I see more hassles with dat0 adapter back from clone SX chip to picofly, compared to reball eMMC. Massive new money vaccummer starts modchip installation service yet lack of skill leaving countable of 2nd hand dead/half-life mainboard listed on marketplace.
We all have different scale of learning path, adapter may be your first attempt, but you wont stick with it when you stand behind your work.

Respect. Your boy is doing it!
Post automatically merged:

I'm struggling getting the DAT0 adaptor to seat where it should. It seems to only get a 0.7V diode reading when shifted slightly right, but that seems to be a ball width, so the reading I'm getting is probably from a neighbouring ball under the EMMC. Is this normal? I tried with two adaptors, and both can only slide under when in this position. View attachment 385835
Any adaptor that has 3.3v on it is a no-go.

Last edited by FreeLander,

Deleted member 666880

Trophies
XP
I don't get why people are so obsessed with reballing in the modding scene, but I see the reball mafia is alive and well in this thread. If you buy a quality DAT0 adapter from an official source and not Shop1234567890 or GameGirl store, then you're unlikely to have issues in the first place. I don't doubt the skill of the guys in this thread at all, but I think it's unnecessary to recommend removing the chip from the board as the default approach.

If you just don't trust a friction fit, then I'm sure it's a hassle having to solder and desolder USB devices, HDMI cables, etc. from the port every time you plug something in. Not a perfect analogy, but you get my point. :)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't get why people are so obsessed with reballing in the modding scene, but I see the reball mafia is alive and well in this thread. If you buy a quality DAT0 adapter from an official source and not Shop1234567890 or GameGirl store, then you're unlikely to have issues in the first place. I don't doubt the skill of the guys in this thread at all, but I think it's unnecessary to recommend removing the chip from the board as the default approach.

If you just don't trust a friction fit, then I'm sure it's a hassle having to solder and desolder USB devices, HDMI cables, etc. from the port every time you plug something in. Not a perfect analogy, but you get my point. :)
Because a solid connection is always better than a "leaning on the ball" adapter. It's simple science.

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Found the HWFLY fanboy...

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Reball Mafia here yes

i only recommend it for installing since they should be knowing what they are doing if the offe modchip installs.

there is a hugh difference beetween a usb device hdmi device the a Dat0 adapter that can corrupt ur emmc.
plus usb devices and hdmi devices have a more reliable connection then the dat0 adaptor if u get my point....

if u offer something u should be able to take ur time and do it properly ;-) and a dat0 adapter is not properly if u get my point ;-)

• Love
Reactions: LogicalMadness

danwellby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP

Don't forget the emmc is not explicitly designed to be interfaced physically with that way, unlike the examples you have given.
The man in the middle pcbs are the best way as then you don't have to scratch/cut the board to access the clk/cmd lines (in the case of a oled switch) and have a solid connection

Reactions: LogicalMadness

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
More than 90% of people in this discussion don't even have a proper hotair station to reball all of them use this DAT0 adapter
There aren't also 90% of people in this discussion that offer modchip installs, but everyone who makes money on installs should do it the proper way and install a permanent dat0 point

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 50% closer to getting my teeth fixed