Hacking Phantom Kingdom Portable: English Translation

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So finished fixing all the bugs that XpanD has reported. The only one I cannot seem to figure is the thief one since the text will not fit. I could rename it to something different bur I prefer it to overhang.

I will wait a bit to release a patch if more is found.

-ChepChep

Reactions: XpanD and Linka

XpanD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sounds good! I don't think I'll be finding much else of note any time soon, as I've just been doing dungeon runs for the last while and those appear to be pretty uneventful.

Honestly, I'd say the main campaign is pretty much sorted at this point. I'd imagine there's still a few small item typos remaining, but that's not exactly the end of the world. The bits of the story that I inspected looked good, too.

Now, as for Petta Mode... there's probably going to be a few things left there still. Ideally, I'd want to check that out AFTER the patch so the earlier issues are off the radar and I can just jot down any new ones real quick. Would my saves and saved states be able to carry over to the new patch?

EDIT: Compiled a few last issues I found into a spoiler'd list.
Typos and stuff:
Fight with Babylon, scene before battle: "Looks like you went soft a lot earlier than I though...", though > thought
Fight with Babylon, scene after battle: My power it's... > My power, it's...

Suggestions/bugs
Babylon's description in your party is empty. In case you need one: "Once one of the most powerful Overlords in existence."

Text on # invites remaining when in a handicapped Random Dungeon level: The "Units Left #" text is a bit out of place, since that counter also applies to facilities and vehicles. Maybe change it to "Invites Left #"? Alternatively, maybe use "Invts Left #" or "Remaining: #" if you're stuck with a character limit.

Text when eliminating unnecessary units/vehicles/buildings: The text on eliminating something/somebody says "1 got mana", instead of something a bit more sensible like "I got mana" or "Got some mana". Could potentially be a PPSSPP graphics setting messing up; don't worry about it if you can't find it.

XpanD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sweet! I'll go check it out, will report back in an edit if I find anything wonky. Thanks for taking the time and effort to fix this stuff.

EDIT:
Here goes!
Typos and stuff:
Random battle region unlock event: "Making Prinnt the Hero" > "Making Prinny the Hero"
Main choice text when using Diver: "Exit the dungeon?" > "Advance 30 levels?" (I see what went wrong here, I suppose I should have been a bit more specific)
Subtext/info box when using Diver: "Advance 30 levels?" > "Moves you up further into the dungeon, if possible."
Tin Doll family, Machine Man description: Needs a period at the end.
Female Ronin family: "live for Bushido." > "lives for Bushido."

Oddities and suggestions:
Babylon still doesn't have a description. See earlier posts for a suggested one if need be.
Rogue/Berserker family: Second class (Brigand) does not have its description. See Rogue or Bushwacker class for it.

XpanD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fair enough! Just had another run through the stuff I could easily check from my earlier lists, 99% of it looks good to go. :)

Here are the few things I did find:
Typos and stuff:
Professor talk text: Wanna' > Wanna/Want to
Fairy Cape description: Faries > Fairies
Text when asking Zetta to change leader: wanna' > wanna/want to
Description on the new facility wish: bit > but
Text on activating Makai Gate: gate been activated. > gate has been activated.
Text after beating Baal'd Zetta: eh he just finds another body > he just finds another body

EDIT: Added some very spoilery high-level stuff specific to the stuff added in this remake:
Typos and stuff:
Text after Petta battle: because of you father > because of you, father
Class text for Petta: "Overlord's Daughter" goes out of bounds, change to "Zetta's Daughter"?

Suggestions and oddities:
More text after Petta battle: http://www.ugstunt.com/wtext6.png
Shorter rewrite which should fit, in case it's needed: "Surely, you didn't travel to this era just so you could meet your father's younger self, right?"

The above text box spaz-out also seems to affect the story a bit further in: http://www.ugstunt.com/wtext7.png

And here, too: http://www.ugstunt.com/wtext8.png

And here: http://www.ugstunt.com/wtext9.png

You get the idea, this happens like ten times (not even joking) during the after-battle conversation. I'm hoping that shortening the original text bit fixes it, but I have no idea how this stuff is handled internally.
(edit: see below, outside of spoiler)

There's also a bit of odd text spread out across two text boxes, which goes like this:
"If the Netherworld disappears and something bad happens to father,"
"of course, my existance would also be at risk."
Rewrite idea (with a small spelling fix, too) to make it a bit less jarring:
"If the Netherworld disappears and something bad happens to father..."
"...of course, my existence would also be at risk."

Another two-box oddity:
"(... Hm. I see, if Petta really is my daughter, then the state of the"
"Netherworld and my safety are tied to her own existance.)"
Rewrite idea with the same spelling fix as above:
"(Hm, I see. If Petta really is my daughter...)"
"(...I suppose the state of the Netherworld and my safety are tied to her own existence.)"
An interesting tidbit on the whole fourth-line repeating text issue outlined in the spoiler above: Upon starting a new game (it prompted for a new game+ after the battle, I'm now on Petta Mode again) this kept happening. The exact same line that was showing up on a lot of other text boxes before was now showing up in the new game. I imagine this is something that gets loaded into memory and then conflicts with stuff, as reloading the game fixed things. You're probably already aware of this, but I figured it might be relevant anyways.

EDIT #2: Onto Petta Mode-specific stuff, again! Gonna rifle through the entire story now, so this list might grow pretty big. Should be able to scoop up most of the issues in one go, though.
Typos and stuff:
Text after 1-1: Well it's ok. > Well, it's alright. (ok/OK/O.K. looked weird to me, so spelling fix + minor rewrite)
More text after 1-1: Then there's, Alex. > And then... there's Alex.
Text after 1-6: What's that Alex? > What's that, Alex?
More text after 1-6: Hey watch it you bastard! > Hey, watch it, you bastard!
More text after 1-6: How about that, Petta. You can do that... > How about that, Petta? Can you do that?
Text right after Chapter 2 starts: What did you come here to do? > what did you come here to do?
More Chapter 2 text: dissapear > disappear
More Chapter 2 text: dissappear > disappear
More Chapter 2 text: existance > existence
More Chapter 2 text: If my daughter, Petta disappears. > If my daughter, Petta, disappears...
Text at the start of 2-4: Long time, no see Salome. > Long time no see, Salome.
More 2-4 start text: Oh... that is. > Oh... that one.
More 2-4 start text: a thousand years has already passed. > a thousand years have already passed.
Text right after Chapter 3 starts: ... Yes that's right. > ... Yes, that's right.
Text at the start of 3-4: What are you saying you bastard? > What are you saying, you bastard?
More 3-4 start text: and make him cry! > and made him cry!
More 3-4 start text: What is it Petta? > What is it, Petta?
Text after 3-6: This mana power it's... > This mana power, it's...
Text before 4-8: Although I did forgot to tell you... > Although I did forget to tell you...
Text after 4-8: ...Hey, Alex, what's the deal. > ...Hey, Alex, what's the deal?
More text after 4-8: That's correct, isn't it? Alex. > That's correct, isn't it, Alex?
More text after 4-8: When you realised, > When you realized, (so far I've seen mostly American spelling, so I went with that here)
More text after 4-8: But, that's the the truth, Zetta. > But... that's the truth, Zetta.
More text after 4-8: But... this is probably ok. > But... this will probably do. (see 1-1 text changes)
Random NPC chatter about Lord Zetta having woken up: worken > woken
Random NPC chatter about having to fight every day: everyday > every day
Random NPC chatter about Zetta being forgetful: forgetful?" > forgetful?
Random NPC chatter about changing a lot: For thousand years... > For a thousand years...
Random NPC chatter about girl with axe: an > the (I'm not entirely sure who this is referring to, though)
Random NPC chatter about Alex really being the Great Overlord: Ovelord > Overlord
Random NPC chatter about returning Zetta to old body: I wonder if how can we > I wonder if we can
Random NPC chatter about vehicle mastery: it also cost you a lot > it also costs you a lot
Random NPC chatter about writing on Zetta's pages: verry > very
Random NPC chatter about momentary peace: Lacks a period at the end.
Random NPC chatter about the Yoshitsuna-is-coming dream: It that a dream? > Was that a dream?
Random NPC chatter about what Lady Petta thinks about you: if what does > what
Stage 1-6: Out of bounds, rename to "The Demon's Army Attacks!"?
Stage 2-3: Out of bounds, rename to "Underwater Chem Lab"?
Stage 2-4: Out of bounds, rename to "Gourmet Club"? (couldn't think of anything better :E)
Stage 3-1: Out of bounds, rename to "Devil's Sky Land"?
Stage 4 main title: Out of bounds, rename to "Overlord's Castle"? (now correct, glad my wrong previous fix didn't get patched in)
Stage 4-5: Out of bounds, rename to "Overlord's Bodyguards"?

Suggestions and oddities:
Text after 1-6: "(Her current mana. It is not strong, yet it's the same as mine...!?)"
Less confusing and more proper rewrite: "(Her current mana power... It's not that strong yet, and yet it's unmistakably similar to mine...?)"

Another 1-6 one: "(Don't tell me that this girl is, really my daughter...?)"
Small fix: "(Don't tell me... This girl, is she really my daughter?"

Text at the start of 2-4: "Your mana power has became very weak since I saw you last... Hehehe."
Small fix: "Your mana power has diminished since I last saw you... Hehehe." (ties everything in with the line right after)

More 2-4 start text: "Not only that... I did not known where you had gone. after your Netherworld became Alex's."
Small fix: "Not only that... I wondered where you went, after your Netherworld became Alex's." (technically, " Alex's " is probably incorrect and " Alex' " correct -- the rules on this seem to be fairly ambiguous however, and as such I went for the option that seemed least likely to cause confusion)

Text after 2-6:
"(For now her power is not that high a level. But I can feel that her"
"power is increasing little by little each time I meet her.)"
Two text boxes that cross over a bit oddly. Let's fix that!
"(For now, her power is not all that strong just yet.)"
"(However, I can feel that this is changing little by little every time we meet.)"

Text after 4-7:
"This time... What happened during the last thousand years!"
"As well as how you became Great Overlord! I will make you answer all of these things!"
These aren't split like the above one, but there's a really good voice clip playing during the first one while the text's zinger only comes in at the second bit. Rewrite for dramatic effect, also matches up a bit better to the original Japanese from what I can understand of it:
"Alex! This time, you'll answer for everything that happened the last thousand years! Everything! EVERYTHING!!"
"You're going to pay!!"

Text after 4-8:
"That's simple, Zetta. Alex could never allow another"
"man to defeat you while you were weakened."
Another story split across two text boxes. Let's patch that up.
"That's simple, Zetta."
"Alex could never allow another man to defeat you while you were weakened."

More text after 4-8:
"That's not all. After you disappeared from the"
"Netherworld, the balance of power collapsed immediately."
Yep. See below.
"That's not all."
"After you disappeared from the Netherworld, the balance of power collapsed immediately."

More text after 4-8: "He'll need a long time to recover. So we must heal him patiently."
Let's replace that with the better-flowing (though slightly less detailed)... "He'll need a long time to recover. We'll have to be patient."

NPC chatter:"Where did Lady Pram go? As the 13th Fan Club member this is going to be a problem···"
Replace the floating periods (Japanese interpuncts?) with normal periods.

NPC chatter: "You must not forget about your building's formation, Leader."
Probably missed this one. My previous suggestion wasn't too thorough either way, so here's a fancy rewrite instead: "Don't forget to garrison your buildings if you're gonna summon them into battle."

NPC chatter: "Assuming that Lord Zetta disappears, What will then happen to us?"
Similar to the above, might as well rewrite it properly! "If Lord Zetta was to disappear, what would then happen to us?"

NPC chatter: "Now that Lord Zetta cannot move, the only thing that we can do is to lift him. Ahhh~that's very troublesome."
Small fix: "With Lord Zetta not being able to move all too well, we'll have to move him around everywhere. Ahh, how very troublesome..."

NPC chatter: "Did Alexander became the Great Overlord? ...if not then it was all a misunderstanding."
Small fix: "Did Alexander really become the Great Overlord? It'd be one hell of a misunderstanding if he did not..."

NPC chatter: "If Lord Zetta has given up on current current appearance, then Lord Salome will surely scold him."
Not entirely sure on what this one was meant to say, but... "If Lord Zetta gives up on restoring his old form, Lady Salome will surely scold him."

NPC chatter: "I wonder if what would Lord Zetta do if his back becomes itchy? I can't even sleep at night thinking about that."
Small fix: I wonder what Lord Zetta would do if his back started itching? I can't even sleep at night thinking about that..."

NPC chatter: "If you are thrown out of the battle area you cannot appear again during the battle. Take a note of that Leader."
Rewrite: "Be careful not to get pushed or thrown out of the battle area. If you do, you won't be able to appear again until the battle is over."

NPC chatter: "A vehicles capability changes depending on the one who drives it. So use them wisely."
Small fix: "A vehicle's capabilities change depending on the driver. Be sure to match the right driver with the right vehicle."

NPC chatter: "There seems to be a Dungeon where you cannot invite any buildings. If you don't manage your units properly it would be useless."
Rewrite: "There are some Dungeon levels where buildings or vehicles cannot be invited. Always have some non-garrisoned troops handy!"

NPC chatter: "If Lady Petta would continuosly fight would she get stronger? Or is that only my imagination?"
Not sure where this one is going. Potential rewrite: "Lady Petta already seems pretty powerful, I wonder where she could go over time..."

NPC chatter: "There is a possibility that you could even die from a weak attack when your in a critical condition. That's scary!"
Rewrite: "If you are in critical condition, even a weak attack could have the potential to take you down. That's scary!"

NPC chatter: "If you need of more mana or money, you can always redo a previously played"
Not sure what happened here. See: "If you find yourself needing more mana or money, just redo a previously played stage or dive into a random dungeon."
EDIT #3: All done with Petta Mode! Now to take a nice long nap. :)

Reactions: Shinon and Linka

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the issue with the four line. It just means a line break is missing in one place. Once it is missed once it will propagate throughout the game until a reset.

I will try to get to make these fixes in the next week.

Part 1 and 2 of the errors are all fixed. Just the last and longest to go...

Reactions: XpanD

XpanD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Whoop, almost got the game crushed entirely now. I'm pretty far along with unlocking all the weapon skills, and I only have 3 unlocks left to go on special characters/vehicles (Yoshitsuna, Asagi and Pram). All the normal ones are unlocked already! Not sure why this game has had me so hooked for the last two weeks, but it's eating my life.

As for typos, today's a pretty slow day. Just a few so far!
Master Axe description: aggresive > aggressive
After stage 8-6, beating both Alex and Salome: I tuly loved you > I truly loved you
Stage 1-4 outro: Youngin's > Youngins
Stage 4-1 intro: fould > foul
Stage 4-6 outro: The, who the hell set me up? > Then, who the hell set me up?
Start of chapter 7: finally lost it > finally lost it.
Start of chapter 7: and everyone know it. > and everyone knew it.
Start of chapter 7: Thing again! > Think again!
Stage 7-1 intro: Hey, You're here > Hey, you're here

Reactions: Linka

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's how SRPGs get you. They're addictive once you sink your teeth in. So many potential characters and uses. So many weapons. SO MANY SKILLLLLLS

Seriously though it's great that you've been going through this as well as you have been. Thank you so much.

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news all the typos you have reported have been fixed. I just took the last few hours and plowed through fixing them.

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I plowed through and made a patch. XpanD has helped so much that I just couldn't not release a patch as soon as I was done.

(PKP_English_Patch_v0.9.3)

Enjoy.

If you find more typos I will probably roll it into a new patch with the same name.
-Chep

XpanD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's how SRPGs get you. They're addictive once you sink your teeth in. So many potential characters and uses. So many weapons. SO MANY SKILLLLLLS

Seriously though it's great that you've been going through this as well as you have been. Thank you so much.

Glad it's still appreciated!

As for the whole addictiveness thing... Yeah, no doubt. Disgaea 1 (the PSP version) did the same thing to me, and I ended up sinking 500+ hours into that over time. Never got that hooked on 2 or 3 though, I should definitely revisit those some time soon.

Speaking of PSP games and the like... Does anybody know a fix for PPSSPP intermittently having really scratchy sound? It's hard to explain, but it kinda sounds like a bad speedup. Settings don't seem to matter much; there's little to no difference between everything maxed (got a good PC) and everything turned down. I'd love to play Disgaea 2 on an emulator with all the graphical tweaks available there, but this sound issue is gonna make that difficult.

Good news all the typos you have reported have been fixed. I just took the last few hours and plowed through fixing them.

Sweet! I've been starting to burn out on the game for a while now, though I feel I managed to get the majority of the issues jotted down while it lasted. Hoping all of these changes make the game just that little bit more special for those who play it in the future. :)

EDIT: Found one issue, but it's a weird one. When you get Petta to use her Petta Beam, the earthquake-y sound from the attack keeps going even after it concludes. This keeps going even if you go to a new level or mess around with savestates, and the sound sliders also don't affect it whatsoever. Dunno if this is something with my PC, something with PPSSPP or somehow something with the patch, but I figured I'd report it.

EDIT #2: Just had a quick random dungeon go, and I'm still seeing a lot of old issues still in the game. I have a feeling you might've missed a few posts; see below. :P
Stuff I could check:
Professor talk text: Wanna' > Wanna/Want to
Fairy Cape description: Faries > Fairies
Text when asking Zetta to change leader: wanna' > wanna/want to
Description on the new facility wish: bit > but
Text on activating Makai Gate: gate been activated. > gate has been activated.
Main choice text when using Diver: "Exit the dungeon?" > "Advance 30 levels?" (I see what went wrong here, I suppose I should have been a bit more specific)
Subtext/info box when using Diver: "Advance 30 levels?" > "Moves you up further into the dungeon, if possible."
Tin Doll family, Machine Man description: Needs a period at the end.
Female Ronin family: "live for Bushido." > "lives for Bushido." (this applies to the higher end male Ronins too, it turns out)
Babylon still doesn't have a description. See earlier posts for a suggested one if need be.
Rogue/Berserker family: Second class (Brigand) does not have its description. See Rogue or Bushwacker class for it.

Stuff I couldn't check, but was in those same posts:
Text when eliminating unnecessary units/vehicles/buildings: The text on eliminating something/somebody says "1 got mana", instead of something a bit more sensible like "I got mana" or "Got some mana". Could potentially be a PPSSPP graphics setting messing up; don't worry about it if you can't find it.
Random battle region unlock event: "Making Prinnt the Hero" > "Making Prinny the Hero" (not sure if this one got fixed, but it was the only one I couldn't check)
Fight with Babylon, scene before battle: "Looks like you went soft a lot earlier than I though...", though > thought
Fight with Babylon, scene after battle: My power it's... > My power, it's...

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many of those bugs will not go away unless you start a new game. I know its dumb but once some stuff is encountered it is written into the save file. I have checked my files and all of these are fixed...

XpanD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
...yeah, that sounds pretty screwy. Kinda weird how the typos and stuff didn't show up as fixed in my game either, though -- the ones that got fixed before did. Anyways, thanks for checking!

XpanD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Happy holidays, people! Hope you all have a great few days and an equally great new year. :)

I know I said I'd probably be quitting the game pretty soon, but... I'm still going at the Random Dungeons trying to get all the weapon skills. As such, here are a few more things:
Volcanic Blast does not have a description. The original text should be: "A meteor is drawn forth from space."
Heart Breaker skill description: rap... > Rap...
Blasphe Tree description: There's an unneeded space in front of "This".
Blasphe Tree description: good,but... > good, but... (might be PPSSPP graphics options, again)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021