Hacking Phantom Kingdom Portable: English Translation

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fair! I think the fact that you managed to get as much as you could done, so far, is really great. I hope your newer project bears fruit for you, so you have a better idea on how this all works!

XpanD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just registered to post this; thanks a ton for your hard work on getting this version of Makai/Phantom Kingdom translated! I loved the PS2 game, and being able to play it on PSP now with a bunch of added content has been a ton of fun so far. I'd been holding off on playing the game (PS2, in this case) again ever since I saw the first signs of a translation, but the wait was definitely worth it.

With all that said, I did find a few slight misspellings and other funky things. I know you've put this project on the back burner for a bit, but if you do feel like maybe patching a few small things up I've been keeping a small list of things that looked out of place. See below, if interested. :P

Misspellings:
Etherial Armor > Ethereal Armor
Ronin flavor text: "Has high attack power and live for Bushido", live > lives
Random combat events: "Just y luck!!", y > my (could have seen this one wrong, went by FAST)
NPC remark about your friends being all merchants/thieves: "Merchants," > "Merchants",
Character creation text: "So, you wanna' make a character?", wanna' > wanna/want to

Possible bugs:
Item rarity explanation: see http://www.ugstunt.com/wtext1.png (everything after the first line takes a long time to come into view, some text running off the screen beforehand that we're waiting for?)
Vehicle explanation: see http://www.ugstunt.com/wtext2.png
Task explanation: see http://www.ugstunt.com/wtext3.png (same issue as #1, delay until next line right after "Do your best" - actually not entirely sure what's meant by tasks, but I may just be missing something there - also, "there" is misspelled as "three")
Score counts on garrisoned enemies: core > Score, not sure if it's cutting it off or if the S is just missing.
Random NPC message: see http://www.ugstunt.com/wtext4.png (somewhat similar to #1, but seems to lag out for longer and does not show other lines afterwards)
Random NPC Lv9k message: see http://www.ugstunt.com/wtext5.png (yep, another one of these - cuts off after "If I do,". Also, those 9s come in two different styles?)

Oddities:
NPC remark from earlier: Saw it happen even when I just had one thief and no merchants on my party. :P
Diver use text: "Exit the dungeon?", this happens even when the dungeon is long enough for you to go down by 30 levels. Maybe change to "Advance 30 levels?"?
(tagged as spoiler because some of it is from later bits of the game, nothing major though)

If you want me to, I don't mind posting more as I come across them. ;)

Reactions: Linka

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you see more, please post. Some things are just typos and can be quickly fixed. Others are issues with the content from the PS2. We inserted most of the text from the PS2 game into the PSP game.

I will fix anything that does not require major coding. I keep finding bugs in the original PSP game which is really annoying and not worth fixing. The PS2 and psp game were rushed out form NIS.

Thanks again for posting and enjoy the game.

Reactions: XpanD and Linka

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it gets sad when you realize the amount of bad programming NIS games will have, especially the PSP editions. But still the same, they are the best versions of those games...

I'm glad at least the company's not in danger. There was a thing going around that if Disgaea 5 didn't sell enough, they might not be operating by 2016. Thankfully, it turns out it was just self-depreciating humor on the president's end-- Japanese joking tones really are hard to convey in a purely text-based medium, huh?

Which by the way, Disgaea 5 looks really cool, and in fact seems to be taking a major cue from Makai/Phantom Kingdom in terms of how the multiple Netherworlds operate and are represented.

Reactions: Shinon

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wish they would make it portable... Still have not taken the plunge on a Vita or 3DS. Just really not enough games to make it worthwhile...

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of it very much depends on what you're interested in. The Vita has become one excellent spot if you want Japanese-developed games, for instance. It even got a Tales of game over here, recently! (Tales of Hearts R)

The 3DS has a lot of really good games too, but again, it depends on what you want. If you like RPGs it's a haven with things like Bravely Default, Tales of the Abyss, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Pokemon, ect. And just in general Nintendo's games. But again, it depends on what actually would scratch your itch.

Of course, I guess I should say it now: It's highly unlikely that Disgaea 5 will go portable in the current generation. The reason they're putting it onto the PS4 is because of the sprite count and new features that'll be involved in the game, and after how much Disgaea 4 Vita will lag in Item World... I'm not too shocked, really. I'd rather they be finally porting Soul Nomad to a current-gen console.

XpanD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Took a bit of time today to run through all of the items I could find in shops, and the ones I had in my inventory. Found a few more things:

Typos and stuff:
Steel Cutter description: hadicrafts > handicrafts
Mystic description: A > An
Pike Spear description: calvary > cavalry (calvary does have a meaning by itself, but I doubt Jesus' place of crucifixion was the idea here :P)
Flaming Tounge name: tounge > tongue
Vulcan Cannon description: you > your
Labor Shovel description: evergency > emergency
War Tactics description: Chineese > Chinese
Chineese Dress name: Chineese > Chinese (joke I'm not getting?)
Chineese Dress description: awat > away
Hybrid Armor description: coatin > coating
Winged Hat description: Lacks a period at the end.
Paper Armor description: Lacks a period at the end. Intended?
Professor chat: Wanna' > Wanna/Want to
Yamasaki ZX1, Hero Stunt move: possibly > Possibly
Random NPC text about traing, training and more training: Traing > Training
Evil Rock description: Devil's > Devils
Tutorial battle menu option description: Explaination > Explanation
Innocence description: boquet > bouquet
Hospital/Healer status on character being dead: Immposible > K.O. (saying it's "impossible" doesn't make much sense)
Hospital/Healer status on character being hurt: Rest > Hurt (or Damaged)
Wish for new facilities text: facilities > facility

Suggestions:
Titanium Armor description: "Light and rust resistant." had me confused for a bit, maybe replace with "Lightweight and rust-resistant."?
Pea Bullet description: these > this (minor, adds consistency with other ammo types)
Vehicle upgrade screen: "Mod do not level up" makes very little sense, replace with "Needs more EXP"?
Netherworld gate activation text: "The Netherworld's gate's been activated." reads quite awkwardly, change to "The Netherworld's gate has been activated."?
Character battle menu option description: "Character confirmation" seems unfitting considering the option just shows stats. Replace with "View deployed characters"?

Bugs:
Text on a Thief named Gesselschaft: http://www.ugstunt.com/wimg1.png (any other nearby thieves when this happened were unaffected - effect persisted even in all of the Status dialogs, cutting into other text when there)
Also, Petta Mode-specific stuff with a separate spoiler:

Typos and stuff:
Initial tutorial bit: passed > passes (see below for a more comprehensive rewrite of the entire intro)
Random NPC chatter about girl with axe: an > the
Random NPC chatter about building formations: formation > formations
Random NPC chatter about Lord Zetta having woken up: worken > woken
Random NPC chatter about having to fight every day: everyday > every day
Random NPC chatter about checking equipment: millennia > millennium (entire message is a bit quirky, but in a charming way - this fixes the only real issue I had with it)
Random NPC chatter about changing a lot: For thousand years... > For a thousand years...
Random NPC chatter about returning Zetta to old body: I wonder if how can we > I wonder if we can
Random NPC chatter about momentary peace: Lacks a period at the end.
Random NPC chatter about Zetta disappearing: What > what
Random NPC chatter about the Yoshitsuna-is-coming dream: It > Is
Random NPC chatter about dying to a weak attack when critical: your > you're (you + are, we don't need the possessive form!)
Random NPC chatter about what Lady Petta thinks about you: if what does > what
Random NPC chatter about fighting Great/Ultra Overlords: a Ultra Overlord > an Ultra Overlord
Conversation after first battle, after Petta warps out: there's, > there's
Stage 1-6: Out of bounds, rename to "The Demon's Army Attacks!"?
Stage 2-3: Out of bounds, rename to "Underwater Chem Lab"?
Stage 2-4: Out of bounds, rename to "Gourmet Club"? (couldn't think of anything better :E)
Stage 3-1: Out of bounds, rename to "Devil's Sky Land"?
Stage 4-1: Out of bounds, rename to "Overlord's Castle"?

Suggestions and oddities:
Tutorial: *insert 5 in-game pages/dialogs of text here*
The second page is a bit awkwardly worded, and I haven't really been able to figure out the third and fourth pages yet. I think a full-on rewrite may not necessarily be a bad thing here, especially since some of this stuff doesn't really tie in with the story either. I'll try my hand at something later.

NPC chatter: "That girl with an axe... It's like she's very attractive, isn't she?"
The "It's like" bit is redundant and makes the sentence awkward, cutting off that part sets things right.

NPC chatter: "First of all, you should begin on observing your unit's levels."
A bit vague (and not entirely correct either), maybe replace with "Keep a close eye on your enemy's levels. If your individual characters are too weak to kill an enemy, have them gang up!"? Two flies, one stone. :P

NPC chatter: "I can't really understand it very well but, when will we get out salary? Although, I didn't really receive anything yet..."
Can be condensed into something like "I don't really understand these things very well, but when are we getting our salary?", which would also fix the grammar.

NPC chatter: "To add more character units, approach an item and confine em'. Go, and multiply!"
Small fix: "To add more characters, approach an item and confine 'em! Go on and multiply!"

NPC chatter: "Summon more buildings to make it lively! To congratulate Lord Zetta's comback."
Small fix: "Summon more buildings to make things more lively! Why? To celebrate Lord Zetta's comeback, of course." (could do without the ", of course." bit, but I felt it would add some more personality)

NPC chatter: "For the first time in a 1000 years, doesn't he forget a lot of things? The question is, is it safe?"
I think I get what the idea was here, but it's grammatically incorrect. Potential replacement: "I know Zetta has been asleep for a thousand years, but... isn't he being a bit too forgetful?"

NPC chatter: "Then again, this is the beginning of an interesting battle. I can't wait to put my skill's into action."
Small fix: "This is the beginning of an interesting battle. I can't wait to put my skills into action."

NPC chatter: "Moreover, if you fight Lord Zetta alone no good will come out of it."
Small fix: "If you fight Lord Zetta alone, no good will come out of it." (Moreover would suggest continuing an existing conversation, not starting a new one)

NPC chatter: "I can't change my job unless I train harder!"
Grammatically correct, but this also shows up on characters that DO have enough mana to reincarnate. I'm not really sure about a good fix, though something like this could work: "You'll need mana to make wishes in the Tome. If somebody is lacking mana, have that somebody kill some more enemies."

NPC chatter: "You can have upto 1200 items in the inventory. Use it well."
Small fix: "You can have up to 1200 items in your inventory. Use them well!"

NPC chatter: "Where did Lord Pram go? As the 0013th Fan Club member this is going" *lags for a bit, next line* "inventory. Use it well."
Broken, so I can't tell what is supposed to happen. Lord Pram should probably become Lady Pram, though (and 0013th > 13th). :P

NPC chatter: "You can't really expect to see all of the Overlord's to appear. Is this some sort of conspiracy?"
Not sure what this one is supposed to be about. Potential replacement: "I want to see ALL of the Overlords, but I don't think it'll ever happen." (a bit weird, but it could work)

NPC chatter: "If your feeling weak about your units, go to the Training Dungeon"
Small fix: "If you feel your units aren't up to snuff, head on over to the Training Dungeon."

NPC chatter: "Which reminds me, isn't it that Lord Salome is the former apprentice of Lord Zetta? What did he teached her?"
Small fix: "Wasn't Lady Salome a former apprentice of Lord Zetta? What did he teach her?"

NPC chatter: "Hmm? Did that girl with a blue hair just walked by? I'm not familiar with that one, who is she?"
Small fix: "Hmm? Did a strange blue-haired girl just walk by? I haven't seen her around before, who is she?"
Just in case anybody is a bit discouraged by earlier reports of certain chapter book writers potentially causing issues with the story; I've played through the game with both Pram and Babylon, no issues there. Will keep trying different ones if I decide to do more main story playthroughs, the PSP-exclusive content is getting completed first though! :P

EDIT: Oof, the Petta Mode stuff has some really funky lines in it. I'll try to write something up to fix a bunch of those, hope that will help.

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again for all the typo reports. They are really easy for me to fix and the more the better. I am too close to the translation to catch many of them and also I hate to say it but there were many in the PS2 game. We did have to retype every letter from the PS2 version into the PSP game.

Hopefully in the next week or two I;ll get them all tracked down and inserted into the patch.

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linka,

My issues there is just so few games on either 3DS or Vita that I want to play. Vita its pretty much Disgaea 3 and 4 and a few others that would be nice. On NDS its just Bravely Default (I own it and borrowed 3DS from a friend to get through game). I mostly like turn based rpgs and then games like disgaea. I recently played through 7th Dragon (NDS) and loved it but I have lately been playing some of the dungeon explorer rpg. I am getting really tired of them since they feel "under developed" compared with 7th dragon or class of heroes 2 which I both really liked. Etrian Odyssey is just not scratching that itch like I hoped it would. Even thinking about replaying disgaea 2 again since I am running out of things to play. It pretty much has to be portable system since I have little time on the tv with a game system.

Citizen of Earth looks like I might like it for the 3DS... but it tough to rationalize buying a system for 1 or 2 games.

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since this is sorta extensively rambly and I decided to insert links so you're not doing constant googling of what all of these games are, I'll put this behind a spoiler, but here's my personal recommendations when it comes to portable gaming:

I do recommend Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Persona Q-- Persona Q is a little like Etrian Odyssey but it's more Persona-based in mechanics/team build-up and story, so it helps balance it out. I can admit that EO is a hard nut to crack when it comes to getting into it, but if you liked Class of Heroes 2 (which I actually own the physical edition of!), Q might help more. There's also Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers, which is also pretty good. Fire Emblem Awakening though is highly recommended for SRPGing-- with the casual mode, it avoids the most frustrating point of Fire Emblem games (perma-death), and the characters are actually really amusing in it. Also it has a lot of stat building and you can max out anyone if you try hard enough, and it's satisfying once your Avatar character starts destroying things with their skills triggering.

As for PSVita, 3/4, yes, of course. Though I do recommend Persona 4 Golden-- if you played the PS2 version, I recommend it even more. Golden is just such a satisfying upgrade to the PS2 game that I could never go back to the original, kinda like how LPR improved so much. It looks wonderful, plays wonderfully, has some really cool new Personas, and while contested, I actually like the new character, Marie. Of course, there's other games too, such as the entire Atelier Arland series available over the PSN (with Ayesha Plus coming in January), or Ys, or Mind=0 (a Persona-like game that isn't Persona), FFX/2... There's a lot of RPGs for both systems, it's mostly a point of looking. There's even a dungeon-explorer RPG called Demon Gaze.

Though at least on the subject of the Vita, they do now offer a much cheaper alternative to buying the portable system, but it hooks up to the TV instead - It's currently $79, and getting a 16GB card will set you back $30 at the moment (though really you're best off going 32GB or higher). Not all games will play on it, but there is a mostly complete list available of them, and games should be eventually updated for it.

Though as a note: sadly, Disgaea 3 is not compatible, but despite the lack of listing, Atelier Rorona Plus works just fine. If Disgaea 3 is a big thing for you though, and you outright prefer having a portable system, you're better off getting the portable system. Otherwise, you can pick up a 3DS fairly cheap, especially the 2DS, but I'd wait until the New 3DS comes out sometime in 2015.

In general though, a lot of it is up to you on what's worth it or not, but I find both systems to be very healthy in terms of the RPG market.

XpanD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks again for all the typo reports. They are really easy for me to fix and the more the better. I am too close to the translation to catch many of them and also I hate to say it but there were many in the PS2 game. We did have to retype every letter from the PS2 version into the PSP game.

Hopefully in the next week or two I;ll get them all tracked down and inserted into the patch.

Sweet, glad this stuff is easy to fix. And yeah, the original game had a few weird typos too. I think it's kinda amazing how that works, where a small-scale fan project can fix things that a proper team of translators and QA testers missed. Fun times. :P

Onto today's list! (contains actual spoilers)
Typos and stuff:
Hawkeye description: It's > Its
Text after Laharl fight: ...Teah, or a pillow... > ...Yeah, or a pillow...
Stage 2 title: Out of bounds, rename to "Devastated World"?
Stage 3 title: Out of bounds, maybe "Research Center" would work? (sucks to lose a word here, but it'd make everything fit at least)
Stage 5 title: Out of bounds, would "Dragon's Domain" be fitting? (skipped over the story the last time I passed this stage, so not sure about this)
Stage 6 title: Out of bounds, rename to "Dark Night's Dance"?

Alternatively, maybe rename the "Stage #" bit to "St#" if possible to give the other words some more space? I was trying to find fitting equivalents of the old text here, but space is really at a premium. Also doesn't help that I've skipped over the main story the last two playthroughs.
Petta Mode-specific stuff: (also contains some hefty spoilers)
Typos and stuff:
Random NPC chatter about when the fighting ends: Umm, no it's nothing. > Umm, no, it's nothing.
Stage 4-3: Out of bounds, rename to "Robo's Reprisal"? (this is a really difficult one, but the original falls out of the text box hardcore)

Suggestions and oddities:
NPC chatter: "As the battle grows more intense, it's pretty useless if you don't train properly."
Small fix: "As the battle grows more intense, things will really start to boil down to whether you've trained your team properly." (the original worked, but I feel this one flows a bit better)

NPC chatter: "Now that Alexander is ready to face us... We should get ready too so good luck to you Leader."
Small fix: "Now that Alexander is ready to face us, we should really be getting ready too. Good luck to you, Leader!"

NPC chatter: "Mana and Money are limited. So use it wisely."
This does not apply. May be best to rewrite it into something like: "If you find yourself in need of more mana or money, you can always redo a previously played stage or dive into a random dungeon."

Final battle epilogue: "*gasp*... With my current my mana power, this is all I can do. But... this is probably ok."
Very small fix: "*gasp*... With my current mana power, this is all I can do. But... this is probably ok."

Alright, so the above fix about wraps me up on Petta Mode for a while. Good stuff, glad to have played it! Back to the normal story we go. :P

Linka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quality assurance teams can miss a lot of things, and it doesn't help that Makai/Phantom Kingdom was a bit of a budget game in NIS terms-- and who knows what kinda budget NISA was working under for it.

But really, sometimes it's the people closet to the game that miss the most jarring points of it. You need a lot of people to fully go through a game, to catch everything.

Reactions: XpanD

ChepChep

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easter egg? Not sure why this would be an easter egg. I remember this level but did not think much except it was a creative level.

XpanD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just went through another 200 or so items from a recent 1-100 Free Dungeon run, only found one typo!

Millionaire name: Millionare > Millionaire
As for that Petta Mode mini-tutorial rewrite I was thinking about... Would the following work?

Original:
"Well then, let's check my battle units."
"When your body passed the 1000 year mark, it tends to get dull and weak so it is necessary that we should restore it."
"If the enemy is too strong and you can't win, and you also reincarnated to lower your level."
"accessible through the Makai Gate."
"And also, don't forget the Happy Dungeon, where you can obtain really useful items."

Replacement:
"Ahh, it's good to be back. Let's see whatever became of my servants..."
"They're still alive, I see. Good."
"Alright everybody, listen up! Zetta's back in town, and you're all getting back to work."
"Make sure you're ready for action! If you're feeling out of shape, you can visit the Happy Dungeons to train and get some good loot."
"Meet at the Makai Gate when you're ready, and we'll see what's changed."

(going partially by memory here, this should cover those 5 text boxes though -- hope it works)

EDIT: Just found a list of chapter titles from the PS2 game. I know that you're using different ones in this translation, but just in case the originals are useful:

1: Pages of Tragedy
2: Arch Nemesis (also listed as Arch Rivals on lparchive)
3: Mystery Girl (also listed as Mysterious Girl on lparchive)
4: Looting Question
5: Salome the Traitor
6: Prediction
7: The One
8: The Curse
9: Armageddon
From what I can see, these probably would just about fit the text boundaries, that's why I was thinking they may help. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up