Hacking Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - English Translation

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
About marketing, a point that made me try MonHun was a weapon showcase. The diversity of moves on every weapon was very cool, but it sadly it didn't translate quickly enough to draw me. Such a showcase on PS(X) would be great; think of how many playstyles are possible. Add some clever video-fu and done.

Online pass right through me since I'm a single player guy, but you didn't say any lie.

---

MH and PS are both considered ""Hunting" games". Odd since PS precedes MH, but that's what you get by becoming popular. Blame Sega. They don't share much more than concept, and that's what people use to compare Pokémon and Shin Megami Tensei.

What do you consider intense action, Hargrun? To me MH is more about patterns since attacks look slower and whiffing can be lethal, while Universe-like games, 2 and 2i even more, can be very fast-paced and aggressive.

meinhard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How curious. I didn't have the opportunity to play PSO, and only started playing PSU months before the official server shutdown.

Ironically, I also didn't know Monster Hunter and just started to play cuz GameSpot implying that MH was a PSO rip-off. (I liked PSU, so I decided to give a chance to MH.)

Today I still don't understand the comparisons... In my opinion both games flow very different.

For example, in MH you may face high level bosses wearing no armor at all (some quests require it), since moves like dodges grants you invincibility and just like guarding these merely depends on reflexes.

Now, Phantasy Star always had numbers above everything else. You can see your character hitting the enemy, but missing at the same time due to the low accuracy (and beasts are blind, a recurring joke).

I would say that MH is more intense in the action department, but in the end is a game about boss battles. Memorize their movements and hitboxes (some are laughable), defeat them without suffering a scratch and what is left? Nothing.
I agree with your analysis, if someone have good reflexes, MH becomes relatively easy. They boost up the difficulty making bosses running away...why should a boss just change room? Maybe they should just have reduced the mission timer (if you can't kill the boss in time it permanently flee, shitting in its pants, not just change room lol). In PSO (since Dreamcast version) there some parts of the game that will always be difficult (insta-death or massive damage dealing monsters). Someone doesn't like this, but is a classic way of making a game more 'hardcore'. In PSO ep. 2 almost every strong enemy (also the best dropping) could kill you with 1 or 2 hits, and you can't really dodge but just running away really slowly.
And yeah, beasts are fucking blind lol, seeing your gigantic sword slashing trough the enemy and missing is laughable for many players (but i tend to consider these games in a D&D-ish point of view, you don'hit cause you don't surpass the enemy's Armor Class)

Reactions: Hargrun

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What do you consider intense action, Hargrun? To me MH is more about patterns since attacks look slower and whiffing can be lethal, while Universe-like games, 2 and 2i even more, can be very fast-paced and aggressive.
It's hard to explain... But MH is one of the few games (if not the only) that make me shout things like "SON OF A $@$%!" sometimes.

It isn't exactly about patterns, and not all lethal attacks are slow (THOSE BLACK DIABLOS SHORYUKENS). It's just the way I play, kamikaze-oriented. Oh, and the multiplayer sessions... Many, maaany jokes. (No one plays it anymore, though.)

Such thing will never happen in Phantasy Star cuz I'm a cold and calculating CAST. B-)

Reactions: meinhard

Fefo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, your new descriptiion puts MH on a better light than before. After all, down to the barest of basics every game is a rhythm game: play some buttons at the right time and that's it.

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once again, great job guys. What would you say is your current project completion percentage?

As always the translation team has been working really hard and expending a lot of time and effort.
Again there's still a lot to do so don't expect it to be soon.

No completion percentage for the same reason there's no release date,
"it's very hard to estimate how long it will take as new issues always seem to arise,
at this stage I really have no idea when it will be ready".
For example I spent the weekend fixes some newly discovered issues.

meinhard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As always the translation team has been working really hard and expending a lot of time and effort.
Again there's still a lot to do so don't expect it to be soon.

No completion percentage for the same reason there's no release date,
"it's very hard to estimate how long it will take as new issues always seem to arise,
at this stage I really have no idea when it will be ready".
For example I spent the weekend fixes some newly discovered issues.
Just one question: i read somewhere in the thread of a issue about playing online with psp1000. Does it prevent only online play (no problems, since official server is down) or local ad-hoc too?
And again, thank you for your time and effort :)

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just one question: i read somewhere in the thread of a issue about playing online with psp1000. Does it prevent only online play (no problems, since official server is down) or local ad-hoc too?
And again, thank you for your time and effort :)

Currently there are still some issues on the 1000 because it has less RAM available, however the patch is of course work in progress. The adhoc does (mostly) work though

Last edited by JamRules,

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My translations of the story content is almost done.
The entire big beach scene (mostly a fan service event) and all main story text is done, including all three endings.
For the story part, only some post-game content still needs to be done (some voiced dialogues between characters, 2-3 side missions and the non-voiced short comments people in town give you when you talk to them).

I'm waiting for Jam to build the new big patch (as there were some issues with our current one), and then I'll check in game for typesetting for the remainder of the text.
I might publish a let's play-esque run of some of this content.

The aforementioned content itself is already done, proofread and revised multiple times though, as I've taken a lot of time and care to make sure the end game story parts came out exactly as I wanted them to.
Often I've gone over the same part of the script 4-7 times to reword various sentences, in order to capture the essence of the personality of the characters better.
In other words, none of this was rushed or sloppily done with machine translations or anything of the like.

It may sound excessive perhaps, but this is a labor of love to me. That was the original reason why I joined up with this project, as I really liked the story in this game. In fact, it probably ranks among the top when it comes to JRPGs, for me.
Which is also the reason why I like writing walls of text about it.

The actual story itself isn't particularly groundbreaking or anything of the like, but the way many scenes were developed and played out, and the characterization, was very well done, in my opinion at least.
I really feel that whoever wrote the script is a (potentially hidden) talent, perhaps I'll find out sometime and check some of the author's other works.

Another neat part is that certain characters are constantly alluding to future or potential events. If you pay attention to the story, or play through it a second time in Hard Mode, that becomes apparent.
For example, a character will be hinting to you what's going on, and urges you to go on the Normal/True route. Some other characters are also doing and saying things that have hidden meanings once you've come to understand the story.
If you get on the Bad route, that character will veiledly tell you to do better. And when you're on the Normal route, they'll hint to you how to get on the True route, etc.
And all of this is done without breaking the fourth wall, the original script truly is quite well constructed.

So when the actual patch is released, I recommend that people actually read through it properly, since there's actually good stuff to be found in it, especially considering it's "just a portable videogame story." Or in spite of that?
But of course, whatever you do with it is up to you, I know that some people don't care for stories and just play games for the sake of playing.

...Anyway, with that said, the end is not nearly in sight yet. A lot of stuff (menus, in mission text, movie subtitles, EP1 content, technical issues, other stuff) still has to be done, and even more stuff still needs to be checked in game.

TL;DR: Game is good, there's progress, and a lot of it, but still more needs to be done. No ETA.

D

Deleted-371971

My translations of the story content is almost done.
The entire big beach scene (mostly a fan service event) and all main story text is done, including all three endings.
For the story part, only some post-game content still needs to be done (some voiced dialogues between characters, 2-3 side missions and the non-voiced short comments people in town give you when you talk to them).

I'm waiting for Jam to build the new big patch (as there were some issues with our current one), and then I'll check in game for typesetting for the remainder of the text.
I might publish a let's play-esque run of some of this content.

The aforementioned content itself is already done, proofread and revised multiple times though, as I've taken a lot of time and care to make sure the end game story parts came out exactly as I wanted them to.
Often I've gone over the same part of the script 4-7 times to reword various sentences, in order to capture the essence of the personality of the characters better.
In other words, none of this was rushed or sloppily done with machine translations or anything of the like.

It may sound excessive perhaps, but this is a labor of love to me. That was the original reason why I joined up with this project, as I really liked the story in this game. In fact, it probably ranks among the top when it comes to JRPGs, for me.
Which is also the reason why I like writing walls of text about it.

The actual story itself isn't particularly groundbreaking or anything of the like, but the way many scenes were developed and played out, and the characterization, was very well done, in my opinion at least.
I really feel that whoever wrote the script is a (potentially hidden) talent, perhaps I'll find out sometime and check some of the author's other works.

Another neat part is that certain characters are constantly alluding to future or potential events. If you pay attention to the story, or play through it a second time in Hard Mode, that becomes apparent.
For example, a character will be hinting to you what's going on, and urges you to go on the Normal/True route. Some other characters are also doing and saying things that have hidden meanings once you've come to understand the story.
If you get on the Bad route, that character will veiledly tell you to do better. And when you're on the Normal route, they'll hint to you how to get on the True route, etc.
And all of this is done without breaking the fourth wall, the original script truly is quite well constructed.

So when the actual patch is released, I recommend that people actually read through it properly, since there's actually good stuff to be found in it, especially considering it's "just a portable videogame story." Or in spite of that?
But of course, whatever you do with it is up to you, I know that some people don't care for stories and just play games for the sake of playing.

...Anyway, with that said, the end is not nearly in sight yet. A lot of stuff (menus, in mission text, movie subtitles, EP1 content, technical issues, other stuff) still has to be done, and even more stuff still needs to be checked in game.

TL;DR: Game is good, there's progress, and a lot of it, but still more needs to be done. No ETA.
Give me some time gonna play 10 times story mod brb

Reactions: Weyu

ineedPSP2i

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow Weyu, that's a surprising amount of love and dedication you've put into translating the story, thanks for all the attention to detail and care. I know most people don't really care about the story for it, but I've always enjoyed the story, characters, and events in the Universe series. Episode 1, 2, AOTI Episode 3, and the Portable games. In fact when doing the bonus Neudaiz mission where you race to Yaoroz, I got a little teary eyed when seeing Ethan, Karen, and Hyuga all get together for one last picture because I feel nostalgia for seeing those characters all the way back in 2006 and seeing them develop throughout the years in the online and PSP stories. Its to bad the Universe series has ended with 2 Infinity. PSO2s story I couldn't care less for.

Reactions: Weyu

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you liked PSP2 original, you'll probably like Infinity too.
I liked the story of both, but the latter probably a bit more.
The difference is that Infinity's story is more personal and about the main character's journey and her growth, while PSP2 was about stopping the big bad.

Jacob Dale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't tell you how much this translation means to me. Phantasy star made up my growing years, and I recently found out what Phantasy Star Portable 2 was. Now that I know that somewhere out there, there's a group working on it... I get a little excited.

Reactions: IilliI
D

Deleted-371971

If you liked PSP2 original, you'll probably like Infinity too.
I liked the story of both, but the latter probably a bit more.
The difference is that Infinity's story is more personal and about the main character's journey and her growth, while PSP2 was about stopping the big bad.
Cant wait for the translation

retrohead

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
Progress on this is looking great guys, this translation is all I need now to be happy that I basically bought a Vita just for this game.

In the meantime, I just updated my save editor and gave it a decent post on it's website to announce the infinity mission editor a bit better.

11s.jpg

11.jpg

http://files-ds-scene.net/retrohead/pspo2se/

This is quite useful while we are waiting for the translation as it translates "most" of the items for you (my databases still need some work).

Can anyone send me any interesting decrypted tables from the game which I may find useful? I'm specifically looking for weapon extend information and a full list of items with their hex values.

Last edited by retrohead,

retrohead

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
We had someone hack the domain a few years back so its probably something to do with that. Google blocked it a few times for malicious jscript.

It's been clean of that for about 3 years though and there's certainly nothing there now. (I just checked)

Last edited by retrohead,
Reactions: Hargrun

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.