PAL SNES having a black screen of death (Sometimes flickers green)

kutteke

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
exactly what my rockman x did. really looks like a lockout chip that is refusing to give the okay signal. either game or snes. and looks can be deceiving. you should test something to be sure. no use trying to fix something you're not sure is broken. or you could disable the lockout chip on the snes side.

Niels Van Son

Unspecified Life Form
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
exactly what my rockman x did. really looks like a lockout chip that is refusing to give the okay signal. either game or snes. and looks can be deceiving. you should test something to be sure. no use trying to fix something you're not sure is broken. or you could disable the lockout chip on the snes side.
How could I disable the lockout chip on the snes ?
Could I harm my console by doing that ?

kutteke

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
any modification if done wrong can harm your console. its not rocketscience but it is possible.
you have 3 options:
region free mod with switches (best compatability): http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snes-5060hz-switch-with-lockout-switch/
switchless mod (a little harder a lot expensive)
or simply disable the chip: http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/sneslockout.htm

i recommend the first option. but i personally would still try to get another game to see what it does. even if its just borrowing one. or going to someone with your snes who has games to test. the more you know the less you fail.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you're ever in the neighbourhood of belgium I'd help you out.

Niels Van Son

Unspecified Life Form
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So I have to disable the chip by getting this : http://sneslab.free.fr/images/Rylefury/Switchs_Snes/dezonage1.jpg not having any contact between the motherboard and the little thing marked by the red arrow ?

any modification if done wrong can harm your console. its not rocketscience but it is possible.
you have 3 options:
region free mod with switches (best compatability): http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snes-5060hz-switch-with-lockout-switch/
switchless mod (a little harder a lot expensive)
or simply disable the chip: http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/sneslockout.htm

i recommend the first option. but i personally would still try to get another game to see what it does. even if its just borrowing one. or going to someone with your snes who has games to test. the more you know the less you fail.

If you're ever in the neighbourhood of belgium I'd help you out.

Wait ; Belgium ? Don't you speak french ?

Last edited by Niels Van Son,

kutteke

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm from the dutch-speaking part of Belgium. Mais oui je parle francais aussi :)
but its not my native language so it could be better ;).

Niels Van Son

Unspecified Life Form
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm from the dutch-speaking part of Belgium. Mais oui je parle francais aussi :)
but its not my native language so it could be better ;).

Well good to know ! Speaking about the console, I now figured out how to region-free the console, but these little metal thingies are quite hard to get removed

kutteke

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
if you do this mod i recommend soldering a switch between the pin and the board. that way you can re-enable the chip at any time

yes you need to be very careful. first cut and then bend it upwards a little bit. make sure not to wiggle the leg, it wil break off easily. if you are unsure about what you are doing. maybe consult a friend who has some soldering skills.

kutteke

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
in that case be safe and get another game to test before cutting the leg :). i'd keep it as a last resort option if the other game you test does the same thing.

Niels Van Son

Unspecified Life Form
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
in that case be safe and get another game to test before cutting the leg :). i'd keep it as a last resort option if the other game you test does the same thing.

The thing is, I have to find another game. The oldest console one of my friends have is an n64, and the only way for me to get some games would be to order them via ebay or something

kutteke

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
really? dont you have a secondhand sales webpage or something where you can search in your area?
maybe a retro game store, or post on your facebook asking if someone has one to test?
you could find some cheap games no one wants on ebay like sports titles.
snes games arent everywhere but you should be able to find at least one if you look for it :)

Niels Van Son

Unspecified Life Form
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
really? dont you have a secondhand sales webpage or something where you can search in your area?
maybe a retro game store, or post on your facebook asking if someone has one to test?
snes games arent everywhere but you should be able to find at least one if you look for it :)

We have leboncoin.fr in France which is an upgraded ebay espcially made for France but no games under 10 euros ans still, there are far away from me. I could still ask on Facebook though.

Thanks for helping me though

Reactions: kutteke

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
It's always best to place a switch when you mod a snes mod :)

I've done a few YEARS ago, it's not that hard, even with very a bit soldering knowledge.
1 switch for 50/60Hz and one switch to enable/disable the lockout chip and i modified the case to fit PAL/NTSC carts.

Niels Van Son

Unspecified Life Form
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's always best to place a switch when you mod a snes mod :)

I've done a few YEARS ago, it's not that hard, even with very a bit soldering knowledge.
1 switch for 50/60Hz and one switch to enable/disable the lockout chip and i modified the case to fit PAL/NTSC carts.

I mean, I would need to get a really tiny soldering iron, I will try the contact cleaner method first, if that doesn't work I will try with another cartridge, and that still doesn't work well let's begin to solder !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1