Hacking PAL Issue with USB Loader GX

gooddegenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so for some reason I can't get a few of my PAL games to work ever since I installed d2x cios.
Pretty sure installing DIOS MIOS didn't affect it. Anyway, somehow I managed to get A Shadow's Tale
to work in cfg loader by setting it to force ntsc, load video patch, turning off block ios reload,
and changing the game IOS to 223-mload.

However when I do this in usb loader GX, I only get sound and no image. Strangely, I can open the
wii menu and feel the controller vibrations to find my way back to the wii menu, without seeing
anything on screen lol. But when I do, just before it loads the wii menu I get a brief flash of the
game. So its there, but gx loader for some reason doesn't let me get a visual unless I set it to
PAL60. PAL 50 works but its whacky, scrolling constantly on the screen. But all in black and white
of course cause my devices are NTSC.

Anyway I was wondering how to resolve this issue so I can play A shadow's tale in GX instead of cfg
loader, because GX has all my wiiware and what not and overall I prefer it.

Perhaps it has something to do with "mload" or whatever. I notice cfg loader lets you pick
between 223 mload or 223 yal. But GX just makes you type in a number. So perhaps its doing yal
but I want it to do mload. Because that works in cfg loader with this game perfectly.

ALSO I just figured out I have this same issue with Pikmin 2 and DBZ Budakai Tenkaichi 3 but they
work fine when I set them up in cfg loader with 223 mload.

And Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - The Crystal Bearers doesn't seem to work on any loader I have
tried. (I can get sound but no visual)

Is there some kind of region patching I can put on them before I move them to my WBFS drive? I have
Priiloader installed and its set to region free everything.

Also, it might be worth knowing that some of my PAL games seem to work perfectly fine. And none of
my NTSC games have this issue at all.

I have installed d2x cios on ios 249 base 56 and ios 250 base 57. I'll do a checklist of my IOS's
for you to look at and help me get an idea of what is wrong.

System Check:
sysCheck v2.1.0b18 by Double_A and R2-D2199

...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 2008.12.18
Homebrew Channel 1.1.0 running on IOS58
Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 148285641
Boot2 v4
Found 114 titles.
Found 52 IOS on this console. 6 of them are stub.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 523): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS21 (rev 782): ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3349): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS36 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS37 (rev 3869): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS38 (rev 3867): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5406): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS55 (rev 5406): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS80 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS90 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v4.0): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223[38] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v4.0): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS247 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS248 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS249[56] (rev 21009, Info: d2x-v9beta(r49)): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21009, Info: d2x-v9beta(r49)): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10

Report generated on 2012/09/22.

My USB Loader GX is r1202.

Any help with this issue is appreciated! Thanks!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Your slot 222 and 223 have the same cIOS.
Did you try each of them in the game's setting?

Could you try with version 3.0?
Before I changed the video setup.
I couldn't test PAL game on NTSC console, and nobody tried when I asked :P

You don't need to touch "BlockIOS Reload", and you can keep slot249 instead of Hermes' 222/223.
Just try forcing PAL60, PAL50, or NTSC.
You don't have a component cable, right? that's why it's in black and white, so I won't ask you to test progressive mode).

If v3.0 doesn't solve your problem, could you try this:
Video Mode: Disc default and/or Console default.
Sneek Video Patch : Enabled

nobody use the sneek patch, but maybe it's useful to you. It's patching the region differently.

There's no required patches to put on the iso. It's all done in the loaders.

gooddegenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I tried everything you suggested in r1202 as well as v3.0 and I'm still getting the same issues.
Well I tried r1180, not sure if that's v3.0 but r1180 is the original version I had, and it worked
fine with these games before.
Sneek video patch when forcing NTSC allows me to hear the game but not see it still unfortunately.
Same with sneek patch + console default video mode.

I guess it can't be D2x Cios though can it? Cause I tried 222 and 223 on cfg loader and the games
work fine. Well actually, I have a question...

What's the different between 223-yal and 223-mload in cfg loader? Because the games only work with
223-mload. If I set them to 223-yal in cfg loader I get the same issues. But once I change it to mload
the games work perfectly fine.

Is there not a way to implement this option into USB Loader GX instead of just typing in 223? Cause
that mload configuration works, whatever it is.

On a side note:

If I get component cables instead of the red/yellow/white ones (composite?) will I be able to
play those PAL games in color? If so, I guess if nothing else works, I can just buy a component
cable. Cause PAL60 looks perfectly fine with these games, just the black and white is bothersome.
But I'd rather just fix the issue, because I don't wanna hook my wii up to my HDTV.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
component will fix the wrong color.

I don't know what's different in Hermes' cIOS mload/yal (I even never heard yal before you mentioned it).
I was pretty sure that GX already used mload when set to Hermes cIOS.

If it works in r1180 (it's v3.0), then it's related to the video mode changes I did in the latest beta.
I can set it back for Wii games, but I will need someone to test it, that would be great if you can to the tests for me with composite cable.

gooddegenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, r1180 doesn't work now.. It worked before I had d2xcios on it. I just tried it and I know it doesn't work anymore. But when I use cfg loader instead and set the game ios to 223 mload along with the proper block IOS options, the games load fine.

So I dunno the different between what is happening in CFG loader than what is happening in USB loader, except that I can use wiiware and play gc games in GX.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You said you had sound but no video.
so I thought it was a video mode problem I introduced in recent changes.

Could you try this one : http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zqti68h02uyyzie

I reverted the video modes for wii games back to what it was before adding DIOS MIOS.
It's now not forcing PAL signal if you are using a PAL game on a NTSC console (like it did before).
Keeping TVNtsc480Prog instead of TVEurgb60Hz480Prog. Though, if you don't have a component I guess progressive mode will not affect you at all.

Be sure to reset your settings, or set the video mode to "Disc default" in the global settings and "Use global" in the individual game setting.
Do not use Sneek patch at first, try with all default settings from both the loader and the game.
Use d2x slot 249.
But, best choice is to fully delete config files located on your SD or USB (delete all .cfg files in usbloader_gx folder).

Did you try reinstalling the cIOS?
use v8 (stable) if v9 beta doesn't work fine.

Reactions: cvskid

gooddegenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I think we've made a bit of progress lol. I tried default settings and whatnot, and it showed up as black/white pal. It did this before, but only when I used to use ios 223. Now it works using 249. Problem is, when I change it to console default or force NTSC it simply shows a black screen. But when I turn back on sneek video patch, it does that thing with the sound but no video. Cool thing is now it does that on 249. Before, it only did that in 223, so its somewhat progressed lol. So you fixed something to do with the ios, but something else entirely is causing the no video issue apparently.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you have now picture in black & white, it means I fixed the video mode. (nothing to do with the selected cIOS).
so I'll keep this patch for future revisions. thanks for testing.

Now, if you want color, it's another problem. you should buy a component cable it's the easiest solution ;)

gooddegenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I could always get the picture in black & white so long as I select a PAL video mode. The issue was getting those pal games to work using an NTSC mode, which they still don't. They remain no video and only sound.

But you're saying all I needed to do is set it to PAL video mode or default (which is PAL for those games anyway), then get a component cable and it'll fix the black and white?

I was confused cause earlier on you had said it would fix the wrong colors.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never said it would fix the wrong color.
I said (twice) that you need a component cable (and/or a HDTV) to fix the color issue.

Now you says you always got a black and white picture?
You told me "Game Default" had no picture, you needed to use mload, and after the changes I did you told me "now it's working with 249, with game default I can see the picture once again" (of course in black and white, because you are using an old/incompatible TV, just use your HDTV!). So it was not "always".
And you should always use the "game region" not your console region. If a game is PAL and you use your console region (NTSC), then it's normal you don't have a picture. the TV expect a NTSC signal and receive a PAL game, so nothing is displayed at all.

Set "game default" (the default setting when using GX for the first time), and it will tell your TV that it's a PAL signal, then the game will send PAL data, the TV will see it (but can't render it, as it's not supporting it, that's why it's in black and white).

In Europe, there are two different PAL: 50Hz (576i) and 60Hz (480i)
Your TV is ONLY 60hz, because it's too old and didn't expect you to import games from another country.
So, your TV which always decode the picture expecting 480 lines will display it correctly when you set GX to PAL60 (480lines), but the incoming signal is not Hue/Color/Saturation (or Chrominance/Luminence for NTSC) but Red/Green/blue, that's why it's in black and white.

if you set GX to PAL50, then the TV will receive more lines per TVframe, it will display the first 480 lines on the first TVframe and the remaining lines on the start of second TVframe, then will display the start of the second picture which will not start at the top of the screen after the first picture.
That's why it's vibrating. Your TV is too old to read 576i, and too old to read the color in a PAL signal.

Some PAL games are working because they can broadcast data in NTSC mode too.
Some games can't. (the possible mode are coded in the boot.dol, which can be edited manually, but I don't know if it still work with newer games. Check VideoModeChanger or WiiGenericPatcher).

Reactions: cvskid

gooddegenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a component cable.. thats all I needed. And those PAL games that use to work on GX work fine in cfg loader.. so its GX.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol