• Total voters

antnj81

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Siren has unkillable enemies that's why I don't like that game.
But Silent hill DO have jump scares, but not many. (and yeah, the first four are the best ones).

Besides, zombie dogs jumping in from windows (or lickers jumping down from a roof, or through a window etc.) aren't considered jump scares?

I agree about Siren, although i still like the minimalist approach they were going for.

I'm curious to know, but what in Silent Hill would you consider a jump scare?

I don't think because something suddenly happens and it was scary, that it constitutes a as a jump scare. To me, jump scare are less scary and more of a cheap startle used to compensations for an otherwise scary set up; I also hate jump scares!
Here's an example of what I see as a jump scare: a scene shows a woman slowly walking through a haunted house and when she looks in a closet, a cat jumps out with a fast loud sound is edited in for the jump effect. Basically I think a jump scare is defined as an quick otherwise innocuous happening accompanied by a loud sound effect. I don't think that every scary think that happens to surprise us in a movie or game deserves to be lumped in with lazy attempts to make people jump, such as the example I mentioned with the cat, but when a game or movie relies solely on them, then I think they just suck.

To be fair, none of these game rely on any sorta jump moments, for even a quarter of the scares, which is why I'm going on the defense for them. If you wanna see a prime example of a game that overuses the cheap jump scare effects like it was going out of style, watch this

nodnyl10

Trophies
XP
Country
Resident Evil games = Gave me a scare when I was a kid, until it became less scary to the point it became action-oriented game. But the Resident Evil Revelations (especially on the 3DS) put the scare back to me. Those creepy hallways the first time playing RE:Rev is just... eerie (especially when Rachel is laughing and about to attack you anytime).

Fatal Frame games = I really didn't have the chance to play these games (and I probably don't have any will to try) but youtube videos and reviews as well as some gaming magazines proved more than enough that this series is going to give me one of the greatest scare of my life in horror video games.

Siren games = Shame I don't know about this. :(

Silent Hill games = Played the first Silent Hill on the PS1 and it's scary (I always play it with someone by my side, may it be my mom, big sister, or a friend). Same routine when I played the PS2 games (Silent Hill 2 and 3 most notably) and when the series got to the PSP, I only play this game when I'm with a friend, 9AM until 7PM only and if I'm sleepy, I will not play this or will play some Mario or whatever games to make me forget (don't wanna have dreams about Silent Hill now).

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I agree about Siren, although i still like the minimalist approach they were going for.

I'm curious to know, but what in Silent Hill would you consider a jump scare?

I don't think because something suddenly happens and it was scary, that it constitutes a as a jump scare. To me, jump scare are less scary and more of a cheap startle used to compensations for an otherwise scary set up; I also hate jump scares!
Here's an example of what I see as a jump scare: a scene shows a woman slowly walking through a haunted house and when she looks in a closet, a cat jumps out with a fast loud sound is edited in for the jump effect.

Well, in the first Silent Hill game, in the school, in the locker room you walk around and hear some noise from a locker... when you get close to it and investigates it... a cat jumps out! And in the same place when it has transformed when there isn't a cat jumping out from that locker... you expect something to happen, but nothing does... and you wait, and you take a few steps... and nothing does happen... so you walk away and BAM! a corpse falls out from another locker. That's just one example that is pretty much exactly like the one you gave me.

Besides, the definition of a jump scare: "The technique, typically used in horror films and video games, of having something occur suddenly and without warning to frighten the audience. "

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that really scared me in a game is a jump scare like the dogs in RE1. Even when I know it's coming it still gets me every time, somehow.

Silent Hill I find creepy, not scary.

Fatal Frame, only played part of a demo of one, didn't care for it, but wasn't scared by it.

Not sure what Siren is. GOOGLE HO!

antnj81

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Resident Evil games = Gave me a scare when I was a kid, until it became less scary to the point it became action-oriented game. But the Resident Evil Revelations (especially on the 3DS) put the scare back to me. Those creepy hallways the first time playing RE:Rev is just... eerie (especially when Rachel is laughing and about to attack you anytime).

Fatal Frame games = I really didn't have the chance to play these games (and I probably don't have any will to try) but youtube videos and reviews as well as some gaming magazines proved more than enough that this series is going to give me one of the greatest scare of my life in horror video games.

Siren games = Shame I don't know about this. :(

Silent Hill games = Played the first Silent Hill on the PS1 and it's scary (I always play it with someone by my side, may it be my mom, big sister, or a friend). Same routine when I played the PS2 games (Silent Hill 2 and 3 most notably) and when the series got to the PSP, I only play this game when I'm with a friend, 9AM until 7PM only and if I'm sleepy, I will not play this or will play some Mario or whatever games to make me forget (don't wanna have dreams about Silent Hill now).

don't know if you have a PS3, but Siren is in the PSN store for 10 bucks. Some of the guys who made the original Silent Hill, worked in that too

Well, in the first Silent Hill game, in the school, in the locker room you walk around and hear some noise from a locker... when you get close to it and investigates it... a cat jumps out! And in the same place when it has transformed when there isn't a cat jumping out from that locker... you expect something to happen, but nothing does... and you wait, and you take a few steps... and nothing does happen... so you walk away and BAM! a corpse falls out from another locker. That's just one example that is pretty much exactly like the one you gave me.

Besides, the definition of a jump scare: "The technique, typically used in horror films and video games, of having something occur suddenly and without warning to frighten the audience. "

I totally forgot about that one scene... I guess it does have a little of that. But the point is is that it doesn't rely on it, not like when Michael Bay remakes a horror movie and everything, that one may consider scary, is a cheap jump scare.

I'm not against jump scares, just the extreme overuse of it... imo

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Definitely Silent Hill (except SH1...see reason below) for me too...and an honorable mention for Dead Space (even though most of you probably won't agree since it's in the jump-scare territory).

Not a fan of tank-movement RE either, which is why I'm tempted to try out RE HD Remaster this November.

I tried a couple of the Fatal Frame games back in my PS2 days, but the camera-capture-ghost mechanism just felt too clumsy for me.

P.S. On an unrelated note, has anybody tried out the newly released Alien Isolation yet? Interested in hearing what people think of it.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely Silent Hill (except SH1...see reason below) for me too...and an honorable mention for Dead Space (even though most of you probably won't agree since it's in the jump-scare territory).

Not a fan of tank-movement RE either, which is why I'm tempted to try out RE HD Remaster this November.
Isn't that game just gonna be an HD port of the Gamecube remake which also featured tank controls?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I totally forgot about that one scene... I guess it does have a little of that. But the point is is that it doesn't rely on it, not like when Michael Bay remakes a horror movie and everything, that one may consider scary, is a cheap jump scare.

I'm not against jump scares, just the extreme overuse of it... imo

Yes, and I never said it relied on it either. I just said that they did have a small amount of jump scares. There are several examples like this throughout the series, but they are few and far between, and often it's even audio only. ;)
I'm not a fan of jump scares at all, but there are few enough in Silent Hill for me not to be bothered by it. (And I fucking LOVE Silent Hill (the first four))

antnj81

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, and I never said it relied on it either. I just said that they did have a small amount of jump scares. There are several examples like this throughout the series, but they are few and far between, and often it's even audio only. ;)
I'm not a fan of jump scares at all, but there are few enough in Silent Hill for me not to be bothered by it. (And I fucking LOVE Silent Hill (the first four))

you consider a sound a jump scare?

the first four are definitely the best! I wish Konami would wise up and bring back Team Silent

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
hmmmmmmmm I'm not so sure that anyone else would think that a sound, by itself, with no visual, is considered a jump scare... but we're all entitled to our views, so it's cool! B-)

If no one else thinks that, I'd be surprised... anyway, this is going nowhere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*