Tutorial  Updated

OTP Guide

Full Guide Release!

https://plailect.github.io/OTP/

All regions now supported!

If you appreciate this guide and the work I put into maintaining it, I accept donations through both Bitcoin and PayPal.

If you felt like the guide helped you out then I'd really appreciate it! If I get enough I may buy a 2DS for testing hardware stuff so I don't break another N3DS.

If the guide didn't help you out then I'm really sorry about that :(

Last edited by Plailect,

DigitalJosee

Go your clever boy, and remember me!
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just a little question: Why we trying downgrade to lowest firmwares?
The only way to dump OTP is downgrading to 2.1 or lower, Nintendo patched the vunerability.

I'm stuck on the "Exploiting ARM9" (http://imgur.com/DDrpap3), that's sad, I already downgraded, dumped the OTP, upgraded to 9.2 but now I can't install it properly. Anyone have any idea of how I can get it to install correctly?

Last edited by DigitalJosee,
Reactions: TR_mahmutpek

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah... if you are on N3DS DO NOT FOLLOW THAT GUIDE, IT WILL BRICK YOUR SYSNAND, yes, i said WILL, not might/very probably.
as for the reason why ; it's because it asks to downgrade on emunand using sysupdater, which DOESN'T downgrade the firm partitions, so you will end up with a 2.1 sysnand and a 9.2 firm partition...not even sure that boots, for the guide to actually work, both firm partitions (dumped from a 2.1 O3DS) need to be injected back into the emunand backup before flashing it to sysnand.
i will edit the message whenever it changes

Confirmed by mid-kid, who wrote CakesFW, upon doing a downgrade with sysUpdater on emuNAND, the emuNAND's firm will be downgraded. Usually in emuNAND we perform a firmlaunch with the firmware on the SD card, but the emuNAND still has it's own firm we don't use. In this, we are using that normally unused firm that is a part of emuNAND and downgrading it to flash to sysNAND. This has been tested and shouldn't brick your n3DS (except by random chance with the transfer screwing up or something).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The only way to dump OTP is downgrading to 2.1 or lower, Nintendo patched the vunerability.

I'm stuck on the "Exploiting ARM9" (http://imgur.com/DDrpap3), that's sad, I already downgraded, dumped the OTP, upgraded to 9.2 but now I can't install it properly. Anyone have any idea of how I can get it to install correctly?
Restore your sysNAND from backup.

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Confirmed by mid-kid, who wrote CakesFW, upon doing a downgrade with sysUpdater on emuNAND, the emuNAND's firm will be downgraded. Usually in emuNAND we perform a firmlaunch with the firmware on the SD card, but the emuNAND still has it's own firm we don't use. In this, we are using that normally unused firm that is a part of emuNAND and downgrading it to flash to sysNAND. This has been tested and shouldn't brick your n3DS (except by random chance with the transfer screwing up or something)

was the guide actually tested ? on N3DS

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
B-but again?
Will try in a sec.
I'm using menuhax as entry-point, could that lead to the problem?
If you already got the OTP, then you are restoring your sysNAND and emuNAND we made in section I.

was the guide actually tested ?
2DS is completely untested (nobody working on this had one), old 3ds is tested and works fine, the downgrade portion of the new 3ds part was tested to work with firmware 1.0, and should work with 2.1

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you already got the OTP, then you are restoring your sysNAND and emuNAND we made in section I.

2DS is completely untested (nobody working on this had one), old 3ds is tested and works fine, the downgrade portion of the new 3ds part was tested to work with firmware 1.0, and should work with 2.1
2ds is the worst thing ever lol. I've downgraded three times and each time ended up with an error message from the console. I assume you've at least glanced at the previous page, so I was wondering if you had any suggestions. I really don't want to throw myself head first into another restore and downgrade just to see it fail again.

DigitalJosee

Go your clever boy, and remember me!
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have did it, upgraded to 6.1 using Pokemon, than restored my sysNAND using Decrypt9.
I'm installing arm9loader (https://github.com/delebile/arm9loaderhax), have compiled fine and so, but my 3dsx stuck on "Exploiting ARM9", that's my problem.

capito27

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland

yeah, i checked the source of sysupdater and noticed that the latest release inlcuded tux's firm install fix, thus making my previous statement wrong ^^

Reactions: Mrrraou

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2ds is the worst thing ever lol. I've downgraded three times and each time ended up with an error message from the console. I assume you've at least glanced at the previous page, so I was wondering if you had any suggestions. I really don't want to throw myself head first into another restore and downgrade just to see it fail again.

The errors mean that you're getting partial downgrades. Unfortunately, this is random and you just have to keep trying. :(

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna backup my content and give this a go :) @Plailect thanks for making a clean tut.

@Plailect Got a question about this
  • Any other game cart (read: not Cubic Ninja) that contains an update version between 4.0 and 9.2 (See 3dsdb for which carts contain what updates)
Do we really need another cart or can we simply run sysupdater? Or simply restore a 9.2 backup through hard mod?

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna backup my content and give this a go :) @Plailect thanks for making a clean tut.

@Plailect Got a question about this
  • Any other game cart (read: not Cubic Ninja) that contains an update version between 4.0 and 9.2 (See 3dsdb for which carts contain what updates)
Do we really need another cart or can we simply run sysupdater?

The framebuffers changed at some point between 2.1 and 4.0, so anything with an interface will just be a black screen. In addition I don't know how sysUpdater will interact with a 2.1 system even if you could get it to launch.

Until we do more testing and/or get sysUpdater working a cart is a requirement.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The framebuffers changed at some point between 2.1 and 4.0, so anything with an interface will just be a black screen. In addition I don't know how sysUpdater will interact with a 2.1 system even if you could get it to launch.

Until we do more testing and/or get sysUpdater working a cart is a requirement.
Cant I just restore a Sysnand backup?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possibly. There was speculation in the IRC channel of either fixing Decrypt9 or modifying it to run without displaying anything and just automatically restore a NAND backup but that was deemed risky.
Fooey guess im stepping out in this cold ass weather thanks anyways.

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for this guide, does it work for 9.0 sysnand N3ds?

CTRNAND Padgen 0x4 where is the option to dump in the Decrypt9 linked to in the tutorial? Cant find it? EDIT; guide links to gihub and the req version hasnt been posted yet

On another note, do .3ds games typically contain update data? On wii & psp they we stripped out.

Last edited by democracy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-