PS1/2 options for Playing Playstation 1 backups

jinnpan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a 7501 you will need to cut the shielding off.
You only need to connect 6 wires
1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a 7501 you will need to cut the shielding off.
You only need to connect 6 wires
1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8

I just saw a video where they say it's fine to cut the shielding off and just trash it. I am still waiting for my modchip to show up.....

Why do you say to not install wire 4?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
you don't need a pc, or ps1 or ps2 to play ps1 games, and you don't even need a backwards compatible ps3 to play ps1 games either, all you need is a ps3 slim model (4000 models are not supported atm) custom firmware and multiman, multiman backup manager plays ps1 games perfectly and it even rips your game discs to the hard drive so you can play them from multiman without using the disc, multiman supports iso, bin and cue images, a good reason to use a cfw ps3 and multiman is the ps3 has wireless controllers and hdmi, you can't get that kind of display with a ps1 or a ps2, the best picture you can get with ps1/ps2 is component.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don't need a pc, or ps1 or ps2 to play ps1 games, and you don't even need a backwards compatible ps3 to play ps1 games either, all you need is a ps3 slim model (4000 models are not supported atm) custom firmware and multiman, multiman backup manager plays ps1 games perfectly and it even rips your game discs to the hard drive so you can play them from multiman without using the disc, multiman supports iso, bin and cue images, a good reason to use a cfw ps3 and multiman is the ps3 has wireless controllers and hdmi, you can't get that kind of display with a ps1 or a ps2, the best picture you can get with ps1/ps2 is component.

I have a phat 60GB ps3 and it's on the latest firmware. From what I have seen I would have to buy a pretty expenisve device to flash my PS3 to a lower firmware in order to be able to softmod it and even then I would be worried about getting banned as I am a playstation plus member. I have been considering a 3k3y though which I believe also allows you to run homebrew. I don't think the PS1 games look very good on the PS3 though

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
What version Multiman are you using to get cue support I wasn't aware support for cue was added. I'm on version 4.40. I'd love to have some music in Twisted Metal

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just saw a video where they say it's fine to cut the shielding off and just trash it. I am still waiting for my modchip to show up.....

Why do you say to not install wire 4?

Pin 4 connects to the reset switch, this allows you to change the mode of the chip to either stealth mode, classic, or off. Most people don't use it, and I don't think there is a reason to change it.

Reactions: blaisedinsd

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I have a phat 60GB ps3 and it's on the latest firmware. From what I have seen I would have to buy a pretty expenisve device to flash my PS3 to a lower firmware in order to be able to softmod it and even then I would be worried about getting banned as I am a playstation plus member. I have been considering a 3k3y though which I believe also allows you to run homebrew. I don't think the PS1 games look very good on the PS3 though

if you have already updated to official firmware then there is not much you can do about that unfortunately, your only option is to seek and find another ps3 that has 3.55 official firmware and install cfw on that but you will have to stay offline, it's a high risk ban you don't need online to play ps1 games anyway my cfw ps3 always has the internet connection disabled, yes 3key is another option but you have to solder on the motherboards on 4000 models though, ps1 games overall haven't aged well but it's always good to get the best picture when playing ps1 games.

What version Multiman are you using to get cue support I wasn't aware support for cue was added. I'm on version 4.40. I'd love to have some music in Twisted Metal

changelong here for multiMAN ver 04.46.01 (see release notes)
http://store.brewology.com/ahomebrew.php?brewid=24#

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my modchip installed,skipped pin 4. Working perfectly.....well I had a left over screw when I put the playstation back together but whatever.

I got some ape escape goodness going with a real controller....awesome. I did get it running on an emulator but I could not get the anaolg sticks calibrated properly so this is a great solution.

Thanks for all the help and info everyone...this is a great forum!

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don't need a pc, or ps1 or ps2 to play ps1 games, and you don't even need a backwards compatible ps3 to play ps1 games either, all you need is a ps3 slim model (4000 models are not supported atm) custom firmware and multiman,

I don't really care for how PS3 renders PSX games, whether upscaling or not. PS2 over component is best if your TV supports 240p.

Also a few games have fatal bugs on PS3 that they don't on the older systems.

I'm all for a modded PS3, though, nothing like playing PS2 games on a slim PS3 after being told NO PS2 FOR YOU when they took out software BC. And even a few PSP games too!

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my modchip installed,skipped pin 4. Working perfectly.....well I had a left over screw when I put the playstation back together but whatever.

I got some ape escape goodness going with a real controller....awesome. I did get it running on an emulator but I could not get the anaolg sticks calibrated properly so this is a great solution.

Thanks for all the help and info everyone...this is a great forum!
Which chip did you end up using? If you could post or PM me a link to the tutorial you followed as we'll it would be greatly appreciated. I just dug out all of my retro gear and have 2 playstations. I would like to mod one. I saw you mention wanting a SNES. I have a couple extras. They have markings and are not perfect but they work. If you want one, let me know as well. I'm sure we can work something out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo