PS1/2 options for Playing Playstation 1 backups

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so playing playstation 1 backups is my goal (I had most of my PS1 games stolen) and I gave away my playstation 1 when I got my playstation 2.

I have tried emulation with Epsxe and have lots of compatibility issues and am not too happy with it.

I have a PSP which works great for this and I have been able to get around problems with compatibility for most games. My main problem is the controller, it doesn't support analog control or vibration and for some games I want this. I heard you can hook a PSP and a controller up to a computer and play like that, would it support analog and vibration if I went that route?

It doesn't seem there is a simple way to run these on a PS2, I have an old phat one and I guess you can do a swap trick but I never done it and I am worried about damaging the console with a slide card or whatever. Ideally I would like to have a kid friendly method as well where I can show my 5year olds how to load games. I have Freemcboot and a hard drive and use HDloader for PS2 backups.

If I was to get a Playstation 1 console would I have better methods of playing backups? I remember having a plug and play (solderless) modchip back in the day that let me play burned games but I had lots of issues with compatibility and stuff back then. I wouldn't even know where I could find a modchip for a console this old anymore.

I also have and old backward compatible phat PS3 on the latest firmware. If i hacked that would it be a good option? Hacking it seemed expensive and not worth the trouble when I looked in to it a bit and I think I seen that Sony blocks you from going online if you hack your console. I have playstation plus and don't want to have to worry about that.

Dr Zoidberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would suggest ePSXe. It takes a bit to get the right settings, especially with FF games, but its the best option. I play with an XBOX360 controller and love it.

matthi321

Trophies
XP
Country
i have heard the original xbox emulates ps1 games pretty good.
there is also the ouya,
but do not use a ps3 to play ps1 games on,they look like shit when played on a ps3

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your interested in a chipped PSone (slim) with composite a/v and power adapter, send me a PM - $60 shipped to us

LiamGore

defenceplox
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the ouya runs ps1 games pretty damn well. if you have a certain game in mind i can test it for you? you can use ps3 controllers on it too.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a psp 3000. Wish I could use the ps3 contoller with it. I even have an adapter to hook it to USB but I haven't found any homebrew that will let me use it. I don't have an ouya either.

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
you can use motioninjoy. yes it supports analog and rumble if you configure your dualshock 3. search in the psp forum, there is a guide to using motioninjoy for connecting your psp to your pc from usb and playing games via joystick. you can play both psp and psx games this way.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
If I was to get a Playstation 1 console would I have better methods of playing backups? I remember having a plug and play (solderless) modchip back in the day that let me play burned games but I had lots of issues with compatibility and stuff back then. I wouldn't even know where I could find a modchip for a console this old anymore.

I also have and old backward compatible phat PS3 on the latest firmware. If i hacked that would it be a good option? Hacking it seemed expensive and not worth the trouble when I looked in to it a bit and I think I seen that Sony blocks you from going online if you hack your console. I have playstation plus and don't want to have to worry about that.

Well if you haven't heard of the PSIO for the Ps1 its worth checking out, thats if your into using original hardware. Its not out yet but I've read its estimated to be out around dec. And on your Ps3 once it hacked is the Iris manager which can now play Ps1 Iso's\bin\img from a usb hardrive. only downside on the Iris Manager in my opinion is it doesn't use CUE files.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will try the motion joy psp solution since it supports analog and rumble.

Based on the previous posts, I need to research different models. Psio sounds cool, is there a model that do the stealth chip and has connector for psio?

So after looking at some wikipedia info on the various models I am annoyed that my skipping FMV problems on my original console were due to a defect when i thought I had screwed something up since I used to bring the thing all over town. Seems nearly all models have the ports except the PSone. I am probably going to look to get a 5000 series since they seemed to have fixed the FMV skipping issue.

I am a bit confused on the MM3 modchip, does it need to be programmed in order to work or does it come already programmed? I think I can handle soldering a few wires no problem, but what is the deal with programming?

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I was unable to get my original Playstation back so I bought one on ebay. A SCPH-7501 (hopefully no FMV skipping) with 2 dual shocks, an official memory card, all cables, and 5 games for $31 and $10 shipping. I was kicking myself because a PSONE with LCD screen cables 2 dual shock controllers, aftermarket memory card, and 2 games I was convinced would go for much higher sold for $57 total...great deal there but the auction ended after the one I got. (At least I will be ready for a PSIO release....) There are much cheaper deals but they are generally just the console with no cords or controllers of anything.

Now I am going to have in my living room a hacked Wii, hacked PS2, hacked PS1 (hopefully my modchip install goes smooth), Wii U, and a PS3 while the Xbox360 sits in my sons room. I should try and reacquire a SNES and a NES but they are more expensive than the playstation.

I think I am halfway to becoming a collector.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've bought from them many times including that modchip. It works great but i wouldn't recommend it if you have a scph-1001 model playstation. Stealth patching doesn't work with the MM3 on the 1000. The soldering is really easy too.

So I have SCPH-7501 model and bought the MM3 from eurasia.nu, the shipping I am expecting to take a few weeks.....

It should come programmed already right? I tried to download the install diagrams from their site after I purchased it but was getting a message that said I didn't have access to it. I have tons of soldering experience so it shouldn't be a problem for me as long as I have a good diagram to follow.

I tried to do the swap trick and I could not get it to work. I am wondering if I need to do some maintenance or get a new laser or something to be ale to read CD-R. I had one original game that is a bit scratched up that wouldn't read, but the game works in my PS3 with some music skipping.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have SCPH-7501 model and bought the MM3 from eurasia.nu, the shipping I am expecting to take a few weeks.....

It should come programmed already right? I tried to download the install diagrams from their site after I purchased it but was getting a message that said I didn't have access to it. I have tons of soldering experience so it shouldn't be a problem for me as long as I have a good diagram to follow.

I tried to do the swap trick and I could not get it to work. I am wondering if I need to do some maintenance or get a new laser or something to be ale to read CD-R. I had one original game that is a bit scratched up that wouldn't read, but the game works in my PS3 with some music skipping.

Yes the chip is preprogrammed. 7501's have good lasers so that shouldn't be a problem. Just solve the Captcha no need to register. http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=5353

Reactions: blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I feel dumb now.

Any recommended tutorials on taking it apart so I can get to the places I need to solder?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: