Gaming Opinions on the Tomodachi Life demo distribution

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're going to make a demo, might as well do it properly. Giving 2 codes to people who purchase is it just stupid and pointless.

With a game as dumb as Tomodachi Life though, I can see how just watching videos of it would suffice for motivating a person to buy it, but still. It's not like Nintendo exactly encourages people to make videos of their games, so relying on that to sell it is pretty asinine.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I would like to test a demo as well, to see if I would or not buy the game, they already removed same sex relationships so that makes me not wanna buy the game already.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What is to say this is not doing it properly?

The point of a demo is to allow people interested in the game to try it.
People interested in the game now have to hunt down and beg for a demo to try the game, instead of simply being able to download it, try it, love it, and buy it.
The process is entirely pointless and unnecessary. A demo exists, there's no reason not to let everyone try it if they want. It's turning away potential customers.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The point of a demo is to allow people interested in the game to try it.
People interested in the game now have to hunt down and beg for a demo to try the game, instead of simply being able to download it, try it, love it, and buy it.
The process is entirely pointless and unnecessary. A demo exists, there's no reason not to let everyone try it if they want. It's turning away potential customers.

Except that demos vs footage would appear to show that demos can reduce sales a bit
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/416824/game-demos-halve-sales-new-data-suggests/

The above does not go into depth and more research wants to be done but this could well be a well thought out plan of how to limit "damage" done by demos but still allowing some of their perks.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would like to test a demo as well, to see if I would or not buy the game, they already removed same sex relationships so that makes me not wanna buy the game already.
They didn't remove them. They were never in any version of the game in the first place. The only thing is that the Japanese version had a serious bug that could lead to pregnant men and serious data corruption. It was never a feature of the game.

Reactions: Skelletonike

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They didn't remove them. They were never in any version of the game in the first place. The only thing is that the Japanese version had a serious bug that could lead to pregnant men and serious data corruption. It was never a feature of the game.

I know that but still, couldn't they keep the bug?

i got one code if anyone wants it?

May I? If you want of course.

Reactions: Plstic

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Didn't read that but thank you for highlighting it.
Second, a critical bug occurred in the original Japanese version of the game which made it impossible for the player to continue the game.
When Mii characters were imported from a Wii console, or the previous game in the Tomodachi Collection series on Nintendo DS (which was only released in Japan), into the Nintendo 3DS version, it could lead to scrambled Mii data within the Nintendo 3DS version.
This could result in different Miis being randomly assigned to existing in-game relationships, such as already married Mii, or as just one other example, giving the appearance of same-sex relations. Because this bug caused the inability for the player to save the game data and continue the game, we released a patch.
Did you REALLY want them not to patch that?

Reactions: Skelletonike

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
People overreacted way too much about such a minor thing, when a game is broken, it's better to be fixed. x'D

Anyway, I have no problems with the way this distribution works, I find it interesting actually. =O
Also, it should be noted that US codes won't work on EU systems and vice-versa.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People overreacted way too much about such a minor thing, when a game is broken, it's better to be fixed. x'D

Fixed rather than broken, sure. Given they probably already hired a coder in (fonts and text handling does not tend to sort itself) then you are mainly up against the y2gay programming/database thing ( http://qntm.org/gay ), I know they said it would have been hard (pinch of salt and all that) and for a throwaway release then maybe it is not worth the hassle. However had it been easier then you have to wonder at the cost of fixing vs the cost of making it work.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've been wanting to play this game but I would never pay full price for it. Probably not even half price.

If someone could shout me one of their Europe/Australia demos I'd owe you one.

D

Deleted User

Dont suppose any body has a European code for tomadachi life demo ;;) which i could have

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: what are you currently playing?