Hardware Opinion: Worth waiting for an emulator?

fernetekhd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been creeping around this forum on and off, mostly to keep an eye on 3DS emulator progress.

As time's dragged on, though, I've become increasingly urged to spring for a 3DS.

Thing is, there's only one game I really want for it; Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

I'm a long time Animal Crossing fan, and New Leaf seems to be better than all of its predecessors combined. There are a few other games I might want to to play- such as Luigi's Mansion- but otherwise the 3DS' layout seems pretty crummy.

So I guess I want your opinions: given the current lack of real progress in emulating the 3DS (as far as I understand, at least), should I just spring for a 3DS since an emulator could be years, or even a decade down the road?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been creeping around this forum on and off, mostly to keep an eye on 3DS emulator progress.

As time's dragged on, though, I've become increasingly urged to spring for a 3DS.

Thing is, there's only one game I really want for it; Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

I'm a long time Animal Crossing fan, and New Leaf seems to be better than all of its predecessors combined. There are a few other games I might want to to play- such as Luigi's Mansion- but otherwise the 3DS' layout seems pretty crummy.

So I guess I want your opinions: given the current lack of real progress in emulating the 3DS (as far as I understand, at least), should I just spring for a 3DS since an emulator could be years, or even a decade down the road?
No 3DS hack = no emulator. Not worth the wait. And even if it was, why would you want to play 3D games on a 2D screen (unless you have a fancy monitor)?

Reactions: DinohScene

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Buy the 3DS. It's pretty clear that there is no emulator yet and at the rate it's been going there might not be one for quite some time.
Plus you get the full experience owning the system that you won't get through an emulator.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Get a 3DS.
There are some games worthy of playing.
Better wait for a working flashcard instead of a emulator.

Emulator takes a long time before it's fully optimized.

We don't even have accurate PSP emulators and that system was hacked eons ago. Buy a 3DS, unless you feel like waiting 6-7 years until an accurate emulator is released.

PPSSPP is a fairly accurate one

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely get a 3DS, especially if it's for a quasi-social game like Animal Crossing.

edit - literally all of my friends have one, and are constantly doing Animal Crossing stuff on it, like they don't have real life conversations anymore, everything is like, "Oh my town sells silver rods now!" "I have this cat living here, everyone should visit!"

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's still nowhere near fully compatible though - some games don't work at all, some work without audio, it's a mess. :P

Played Hello Kitty Puzzle Party as a CSO to test it.
BG music was missing but other then that, it was pretty playable.

The only emulator that's 100% fully accurate is Bsnes iirc.
So if you're going to nitpick on accuracy, then you might as well say that no other is accurate ;p

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Buy the 3DS, you wont regret it.

1. If you're into some of the games, you'll have crazy fun.
2. There's no waiting for the emulator to release that will most likely be bugged, then waiting for working ROMs, then playing it and realizing you're 6 years behind and you've lost interest in the game.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Played Hello Kitty Puzzle Party as a CSO to test it.
BG music was missing but other then that, it was pretty playable.

The only emulator that's 100% fully accurate is Bsnes iirc.
So if you're going to nitpick on accuracy, then you might as well say that no other is accurate ;p

Some minor errors in code interpretation that have little to no effect on the actual gameplay do not concern your average gamer, not having audio is quite a glaring flaw - I'm sure you know what I mean and it's hardly nitpicking. :P

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Some minor errors in code interpretation that have little to no effect on the actual gameplay do not concern your average gamer, not having audio is quite a glaring flaw - I'm sure you know what I mean and it's hardly nitpicking. :P

You just need to prove your point do you ;o;

Well..
I've had some old emulators on some games that didn't really emulated it accurately
sound glitches or sprites going messy

Well.. when you think about it, they are games that like nobody cares about and or are hardly played back in the day

fernetekhd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first post and I've already sparked a flame war. I'm on my way!

Thanks for all your responses. I'll definitely have to think about it carefully; I mean, I'm not poor by U.S. standards, but $200 for one game (basically) is still quite a lot of money.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first post and I've already sparked a flame war. I'm on my way!

Thanks for all your responses. I'll definitely have to think about it carefully; I mean, I'm not poor by U.S. standards, but $200 for one game (basically) is still quite a lot of money.
That's true, but the more money you spend, the less the average cost per game is. http://www.nintendo.com/games/gameGuide?system=3ds
I'm sure you can find more than one game to enjoy. Or, you can get Gateway when it comes out, and then it's $280 for every game (less if you buy used or a regular 3DS)

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
You should hold your breath until a real 3ds emulator is released.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay