Trophies
XP
Country
OpenSSH

iphone_openssh.png

Warning:
Do not delete a file that you don't know about

An SSh guide written by Alidsl and Slyakin, for Gbatemp only

If there is a theme you want to change of a deb file you want to install, this is what you want

Firstly you need a jailbroken device, if you haven't yet jailbroken then look at this thread Complete jailbreak guide

What is "SSH"?

What SSHing your iphone/ipod touch is, is the ability to copy/move files to and from your device, in this Guide I will explain how to use it and how to install it. SSH stands for secure shell and can be use for remote access and executing commands to a computer (or iphone/ipod touch) miles away.

Installation

Windows

There are a number of different SSH programs, personally I use WinSCP found here, installation is completely straightforward and all that is required to install is to run the file "winscp427setup.exe". When install is complete you can leave the program for now.

Mac

I don't own a mac but from what I have looked at a program named "cyberduck" is better than the already built in SSH client bundled with the mac OS, it can be found here

iPhone/iPod touch/iPad
For both windows and mac users

opne.png

Search on Cydia "OpenSSH", the program with the above icon will show up, download and reboot your device

I recommend having SBsettings as well to turn SSH on and off.

How to use

Windows

Run WinSCP. This screen will appear

winscploginguidepic.png

To find your host name go to settings -> wi-fi tap on the network you are currently using and copy the IP address into the host name box.

ipscreen.png

For the user-name and password boxes

User-name: root
Password: alpine

When you login you have succesfully SSHed your device
smile.gif

winscploginguidepic2.png

Mac OS

Screenshot2010-09-06at45537PM.png

Screenshot2010-09-06at45604PM.png

Screenshot2010-09-06at45648PM.png

Screenshot2010-09-06at45728PM.png

Screenshot2010-09-06at51003PM.png

Screenshot2010-09-06at45818PM.png

Changing the password for safety

1. Download mobile terminal, search it on Cydia (Mobile terminal doesn't work on 3.2+ yet)
2. Type ‘login’ command (without quotes) and then press enter.
3. Now type ‘root’ (without quotes) as your login and ‘alpine’ as your current root password.
4. Once you have logged in as root, type ‘passwd’ command (without quotes) again and press enter.
5. It will now prompt you to enter a new password (twice). Simply enter your desired new password (for changing mobile password) and you should be all fine.

Or you can try through iSSH
metamaster said:
I had found a workaround, but I'm not sure if it works for os 4, but it does on the iPad. You have to use an iTunes app, iSSH, and login with your ip, root as username and your password. Then you continue like if you were on mobile terminal.
It is highly recommended that you change, your root password to make sure you are completely safe from any outside SSH attack.

Thanks to:

>>Slyakin (co-writer)
>>Comex
>>Iphone dev-team
>>Metamaster

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Incredible guide, although it will only be useful for experienced hackers. This is pretty much useless info for noobs, and exposes the possibility of deleting some internal file. Also, mobile terminal doesn't work with 3.2 + either, so no iPads support. I had found a workaround, but I'm not sure if it works for os 4, but it does on the iPad. You have to use an iTunes app, iSSH, and login with your ip, root as username and your password. Then you continue like if you were on mobile terminal.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Because on alot of iPod Touches (like mine) don't show the files properly or not at all

Edit: @ slyakin I think it would be better to have one thread rather than two, if you pm me what you've done then I can add it to the guide and give you credit

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure why but SSH is faster than iPhoneBrowser or at least when I'm near the router and it doesn't require finding the lead which I always seem to loose

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alidsl said:
Because on alot of iPod Touches (like mine) don't show the files properly or not at all

Edit: @ slyakin I think it would be better to have one thread rather than two, if you pm me what you've done then I can add it to the guide and give you credit
Cool, just wait for the PM!

The pics have the instructions in them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/GVs1tc_vq0g?si=laLZzpaM8uZLmYXO