Online Gaming. Why the hate?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the problem is that every stupid developer feels the need to throw in some multiplayer component to a game, and some go as far as slapping on a halfassed single player title to a multiplayer event (usually in FPS titles) which doesn't go well with those who like campaign modes. You also get the game press acting like dicks and talking trash, swaying people away, or knocking off points of a game doesn't have it or worse yet, makes you do it in the same room with other people (oh no! gaming with friends hisss!) Then as others said, you get little shits or men who are mentally the level of little shits being assholes, racist, haters, d-bags, yelling cheater(or doing the cheating) and other fun crap ruining the experience.

MP gaming/online gaming was fun for a long time, then it turned into an online screaming pissing match, and also an excuse to put out halfassed games to sell multiplayer junk at the cost of real creativity.

With the way people act I barely touch multiplayer anymore, usually it will be in a controlled area like Guild Wars or something of the sort, and especially not a blackmail a month fee to play setup either.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I grew up with most games being single-player (other than fighters and beat-em-ups), so I'm bothered when devs waste time adding a half-assed online mode to a game that doesn't need it. If you can't find replay value in a game with no multiplayer, either the games you play are garbage or you need to play more multiplayer-centric games (like God Eater or Monster Hunter).

What do you consider replay value? You can beat your run-of-the-mill platformer in a couple of hours and it's only a few more for all the stupid collectibles, after that it's a dust magnet. I think I probably but more hours into Skyrim than every platformer I ever beat combined.

EDIT: This is why nowadays I rarely spend more than $20 on a platformer. Last platformer I bought was Rayman Origins at $20, before that it was Alice: Madness Returns for $40 (which I don't regret though since it was a fantastic game and I really don't mind paying extra to a game that was doomed to be unprofitable).

I consider good gameplay to be replay value. Like Urban Reign for example - the core gameplay is fun, so I want to play over and over again. Fake replay value is like, 'collect these 1,000 coins!', that you get from the N64-era platformers (and more recently with any game that relies on achievements/trophies to keep players interested).

edit- Just realized Urban Reign is probably too obscure an example, so take Devil May Cry 3 for instance. There are several different play styles to master, and ample opportunities to do so (either replaying missions or just playing through the auto-battle mode). The fun is in getting better at the game, not some arbitrary goal the game sets for you. In other words, if you get bored of a game, it's not because there isn't enough to do in the game, it's because the game isn't good enough to hold your attention.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Were it not for the excessive repetition he might have actually been able to pull off moron grade trash talk.

As for screen looking there is this magical thing called a LAN cable although to be fair I tended to opt for the streets of rage and co-op type games on consoles and I would also contend if your would be opponent had time to be looking at other screens your game was not action packed enough*. Sony at least were supposed to be abusing their 3d tech to provide two screens in one as well.

*aside from sniping and stealth I guess not to mention perfect dark with a horde of bots was the console FPS of choice.

Replay value.... I sense a repeat of the comments from the achievements discussion thread so I will pass on this.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
While reading random topics around the forums, I've noticed a lot of people hate when there is online play in games. I really don't understand the hate online gets. If you don't like online, then don't use it. To me, online is a great component, most of the time. It provides for a lasting experience with a video game. I usually don't try it until after I've completed the single player part of a game. Some games even focus primarily on online multiplayer nowadays, such as Call of Duty or Battlefield. The latter having one of the most amazing online experiences I've seen. In my opinion, if there was no multiplayer in games at all, games would die off pretty fast. I don't usually replay the single player of games, aside from a couple RPGs, which are obviously focused on single player anyway. Just as a general example, where would Mario Kart 7 be without the online component? I beat the single player fairly quickly, yet I continually use the online features, and am still entertained.

So why the hate? Discuss.

problem with that is game developers don't give us much of a choice these days, they even incorporate online drm into the single player, there is no escaping it, on top of that there are trophies and achievements that force you to play online if you want a platinum or 1000 gamer score, it is really not optional, i will never like online gaming, it's the reason why i mainly play on my pc now, because there is no achievement system and no forced online modes you can play as you wish without bothering with such necessities.

the future is all about online gaming now, the sooner i leave console gaming the better.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
MP gaming/online gaming was fun for a long time, then it turned into an online screaming pissing match, and also an excuse to put out halfassed games to sell multiplayer junk at the cost of real creativity.

my boyfriend gets all sorts of abuse online when hes playing street fighter AE on his ps3, he gets name called every name under the sun, grief reporting the messages can only go so far, i tell him to play offline but he's having none of it, he must enjoy being abused everytime he goes online. :rolleyes:

that is another reason i avoid online, having to put up with abuse, pervy 18 year olds go all horny when they find out you are female because they have never seen a woman before in their life, it's kinda desperate, i don't add a lot of people on my friends list and i certinaly don't add randoms either.

then you have the online scoreboards which cheaters and glitchers take advantage of and abuse it till no one has a chance to even rank on, and it doesn't help that some trophies or achievement are linked to getting on this near impossible scoreboards, i just had a discussion about this earlier regarding mario kart 7 it ruins online gaming because people don't know how to play fair, i really hope with the wii u that nintendo become strict with the new mario kart, but i don't think i will buy it anyway because they always find a way to ruin that game anyway.

Reactions: 1 person

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pros: playing online with my actual IRL friends. Halo, Battlefield...
cons: lag, wait on others, 12 year olds (same could be said for the members around here), etc

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Also, for some, they would rather be in the same room with their friends playing multiplayer games than sitting at home alone.

What he said.

I don't have a problem with online unless it is used in place of split-screen options.

Daytona USA Dreamcast; if I want to play with my friend I plug in a second controller and we're good to go.
Daytona USA xBox 360/PS3 - Both of us need to have the same console, and we both need to be at our individual homes in order to play together

Well I don't have my Dreamcast anymore, and I shan't be buying an xBox / PS3 to buy games with no local multiplayer!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Also, for some, they would rather be in the same room with their friends playing multiplayer games than sitting at home alone.

What he said.

I don't have a problem with online unless it is used in place of split-screen options.

Daytona USA Dreamcast; if I want to play with my friend I plug in a second controller and we're good to go.
Daytona USA xBox 360/PS3 - Both of us need to have the same console, and we both need to be at our individual homes in order to play together

Well I don't have my Dreamcast anymore, and I shan't be buying an xBox / PS3 to buy games with no local multiplayer!
Err...most games with online multiplayer have some sort of local multiplayer.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

What he said.

Err...most games with online multiplayer have some sort of local multiplayer.

Not the one(s) I'm interested in

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
I have no issue with it unless it's shoehorned into a single player story driven experience or some shit. If you are listening to or interacting with randoms you are as big a retard as them and need to find yourself the built in privacy settings these newfangled devices have.

Tom

Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no issue with it unless it's shoehorned into a single player story driven experience or some shit. If you are listening to or interacting with randoms you are as big a retard as them and need to find yourself the built in privacy settings these newfangled devices have.
I just use the mute button :)

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These days, multiplayer is the most focused upon and then campaign/ story mode is just... there. Not very good most of the time. HOWEVER, there are exceptions.

ShadowFyre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I personally love online play! It adds to a whole new level of depth. The game becomes a competition and a much more long lasting investment. Plus if voice communication is on its sort of funny seeing 12 year olds get their panties in a bunch.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I don't hate online gaming per-se. What I hate is how the anonymity factor lead many online players to be, pardon my french, douchebags, who's goal seems to involve showing off just how badass they appear to be because they are protected behind their computer screens.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A forced online mode is bad, but that doesn't make all of online gaming bad or detrimental to single-player. As for the problem with other players, any game community is going to have certain members out to ruin the experience for everyone. Luckily, there's always the mute button.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Online game
What kind?

MMO or Single player with Multiplayer online ability?
I've been playing MMO since last decade

I love when it comes to synergy and partying for grinding, bossing, well actually that kinda daily routines for MMORPG
I don't like FPS games in general, and most popular MMO genre atm is FPS.

for MMORPG, for F2P games Premium Items has been overpowered too much so it ruins the balance of the game in terms PVP, which also affecting whole gameplay for PVE as well.
You can level up faster, easier, but it will cost your real money until you realized the amount you spent is quite ridiculous, even more when you trying to stay competitive at top 100 Rank.

last time I remember, I spent $200+ for Rohan, $170 for Battle of Immortals, $100 for RF Online, €10 for the settlers online, and much other games which I don't remember.

good thing is, You don't have to worriy about computer spec to play F2P MMO games.
bad thing is it will drain your money eventually (not really necessary though) and those overpowered Premium items.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
demon souls online multiplayer is good but i don't like the fact they can come into your game and kill you, that is just extreme XD i am always playing solo online anyway, i have yet to get anyone come in my game and try to kill me, i don't think they would get very far anyway. XD

sabrasmith11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its like one of the best way to enjoy the free time because through this you can get most of the best time , Really one of the best way alot of choices we have under this .No matter what it is your choice all games categories you can get.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk