Older version of 'Payday 2' to come to the Switch, confirms Starbreeze

payday 2 switch.JPG

After a gamer received an early copy of the game before its release and streamed it on YouTube, there was an outrage among fans anticipating the game on Reddit as the video apparently showed an older version of the game for the Nintendo Switch version.

The original post reads: “The end of heists screens lack the speed up feature which means it’s below version 124. But here’s the strange thing ... at 1h 13m 16s, he steps outside and the billboards use the NEW texture which was added in version 131 ... so the graphics have been updated but the game itself has not. That’s odd. But at 1h 16m 44s he’s blinded by a flashbang and there is no flashbang present. This means there’s no flashbang update, which was update 124. There is no possible way the game is above version 124.”

After being contacted by Polygon for some clarifications on the issue, Starbreeze had the following to say:

Payday 2 is releasing on Switch with content up to and including the ‘Most Wanted’ update, which is equivalent to the content released through mid-2017 on PC. PS4 and Xbox One received one additional update after that, the ‘Master Plan’ update, which released near the end of 2017. So Switch is one update behind other consoles, which are slightly behind PC.

The reasoning for the Switch content: we’re making continuous updates to a game that’s turning 5 years old this year, and to get the game out in early 2018 on Switch meant that our team had to go with the content ported and available at the time of console submission. The PS4 and Xbox One versions are now almost up to par with PC content, and Switch is close behind those versions. There are future content updates planned for Switch, as well.

So there you have it officially! The Switch will indeed have an outdated version of the game.

Payday 2 is set for a release on the Nintendo Switch on February 27.

:arrow: SOURCE

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
So we shouldn't believe them when they said it'll get the same updates the other consoles will? The things missing seem to just be hotfixes for the most part...I'm not sure why that's "lackluster"

Like we were supposed to believe Overkill when they said they'd address the same problem on Xbox and Playstation? Starbreeze is a middle man. I HIGHLY doubt they'll do a better job.

Reactions: osaka35

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like we were supposed to believe Overkill when they said they'd address the same problem on Xbox and Playstation? Starbreeze is a middle man. I HIGHLY doubt they'll do a better job.
I agree, suspicion is warranted. But it's a bit presumptuous to talk about it as if it's already happened and write it up as a news report :P I certainly don't trust them either, but it ain't happened yet so we shouldn't be saying it has.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I agree, suspicion is warranted. But it's a bit presumptuous to talk about it as if it's already happened and write it up as a news report :P I certainly don't trust them either, but it ain't happened yet so we shouldn't be saying it has.

Pft! It's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I agree, but we are right to assume the worst. Unfortunately...

Reactions: osaka35

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What are you talking about. The article definitely talks about things that are confirmed and have happened. Nothing about it is speculative. Get over it.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you talking about. The article definitely talks about things that are confirmed and have happened. Nothing about it is speculative. Get over it.
Confirmed they've already supported the switch version, given it an update to put it on the same level as the other consoles, and will continue to give it updates on the same schedule as other consoles...before it's been released? You're an odd one, trying to have your cake and eat it too.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's why this is relevant and resonates with ME...

I buy hard copy games in order to be able to keep them forever. Should I decide not to keep them forever, I can sell them too (but I rarely buy a game I decide to sell). Hard copies will almost always win in my book because I can play them long after any servers distributing the game are down (barring pirated content, which I know will always be around).

So releasing a lesser version of the game translates to me still relying on a server somewhere to provide me with the update. In general I can look out this with brand new titles but on s game as old as this? Eh. I do like to try and keep s large collection. I'll likely just wait on this one for a sale.

Don't even get me started in carts that don't even contain the full game day one and require a download immediately after purchase. What is the point of a physical release then?

Last edited by lordofthereef,
Reactions: Maximilious

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't even make sense.
that's my line.

let me sum things up.

this news article is a bit misleading, using the less specific "older", when it could much more easily have used the "might be missing a few hotfixes". You disagree because you seem to think technicality is all there is to the English language and news repoting, which is a bit worrisome.

memoir doesn't trust they'll actually bother with updates much at all. I agree there might be room for concern, but it hasn't happened yet. so I say we just wait and see, stick to the facts we currently have, and I pointed out this news post should have done the same.

Then you come in and tell me nothing is speculative, the article talks about things that are definitely confirmed and to get over it. You come across as confused and only half-reading the conversation.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: lordofthereef

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
that's my line.

memoir doesn't trust they'll actually bother with updates much at all. I agree there might be room for concern, but it hasn't happened yet. so I say we just wait and see, stick to the facts we currently have, and I pointed out this post should have done the same.
Except that you said to memoir about that.

"But it's a bit presumptuous to talk about it as if it's already happened and write it up as a news report"

So yeah, you were talking about the article as if it was inaccurate, biased, and about future events again. yet the article is objective and and accurate. The only reason you can't see that is because you're not objective. While at the same time basically screaming "fake news".

You're a fanboy, it's okay to admit it.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except that you said to memoir about that.

"But it's a bit presumptuous to talk about it as if it's already happened and write it up as a news report"

So yeah, you were talking about the article as if it was inaccurate, biased, and about future events again. yet the article is objective and and accurate. The only reason you can't see that is because you're not objective. While at the same time basically screaming "fake news".

You're a fanboy, it's okay to admit it.
...so you assumed something, then built more assumptions on top of it. Gotcha.

Again, the news article is a bit sparse, a bit slanted. It comes across as the developer isn't properly supporting the game, and we're getting a far inferior product on the switch. Just look through this thread for people who feel this way, and think this news supports this completely. I'm not sure if English isn't your first language, or what, but being imprecise in your language, and putting spin on something, can create the impression that certain things are likely when they may not be likely at all. The presumption is fairly obvious, which is the exact thing I'm calling out. As a hint: you've got to look for what isn't there, why a certain quote was chosen, and in what order the information is placed. In this case, the reporter just let the user of a reddit post set the tone of the piece, and to speak for the reporter (think: why pick that one particular user?). Then used the quote of starbreeze to "verify" it. While not saying much themselves, the author's choices led to what I've been describing. Why not counter the quote with a bit more level-headedness? Why not point out what exactly "older" means? Why not do any clarification? If this was just some random user talking smack, whatever. But this is a news article. Got to have higher standards.

And to be honest, I've never played the game and have no idea if it's crap or amazing. I'm just a journalist and this stuff bothers me.

Last edited by osaka35,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You realise you almost exactly defined an inferior product during you're post about how it's not an inferior product, right?
If that's how you want to read my post, be my guest. Just don't pretend it's my opinion, that's all. To put it in another (and perhaps better) analogy: if someone sells you a stone that has been polished 18 times or 19 times, you aren't going to care much about the difference (especially if the promise of an additional polish is given). Again: go ahead and call the first stone "inferior" to the second. I remain of the opinion that the difference is negligible.

By the way...nintendo also does that "update and thinkering" I talked about. You wanna convince the switch owners on gbatemp to upgrade to the latest firmware version because the one they have is "inferior"? :tpi:

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, rather it was intentional or not, better clarification would have been nice. I don't really care about the game myself.

Anyway, I rather be behind a few updates than having to download significant parts of the game.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, rather it was intentional or not, better clarification would have been nice. I don't really care about the game myself.

Anyway, I rather be behind a few updates than having to download significant parts of the game.
yeah i will take any game that is full on cartrige over anything fuck nba2k, wwe2k ,lanoir and the likes where you have to download the rest of the game becuase they are cheap... same way for resident evil collection and megaman collection.

Srs even ps4 has done this now call of duty WWII cannot play from disc without a 9gb patch that was released, basicaly making the disc worthless lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1