old Youtube videos are really creepy

kidnamedfinger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was bored the other day looking at dumb old videos on Youtube when I noticed something kind of odd. Almost every video I was looking at had like no new comments posted in the last 10+ years... despite some of them having literal millions of views, and despite Youtube specifically recommending them to me. Examples:

Call me a turbo zoomer but this shit kind of creeps me out. We've reached a point where the internet has so much content that hundreds of thousands of people can see something, and then after that it will never be seen again - even though anyone can still access it. Imagine in like 40 years when the majority of the internet is like this, hosting completely forgotten content with thousands of comments perfectly preserved...

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Could it be because of for instance back then FilthyFrank,YouTuber so-called Fred or rather even YouTube channel 666?

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could it be because of for instance back then FilthyFrank,YouTuber so-called Fred or rather even YouTube channel 666?
YouTube channel '666' did not exist. This was a well done hoax back in the early internet days.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

This bug doesn't work anymore since YouTube had fixed it, while also taking down the offending channel. Its something in regards to unicode characters in a custom channel URL that takes advantage of this.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This bug doesn't work anymore since YouTube had fixed it, while also taking down the offending channel. Its something in regards to unicode characters in a custom channel URL that takes advantage of this.
Yeah,but still it’s fun by editing any kind of YouTube link. This is the one think of what I got eventually.
SiOAh3M.png

LeoTCK

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Youtube and early internet days? Doesn't compute. The two don't go well together with "early internet days". The internet didn't start in the 2000s. For me, I didn't access it in the 90s despite being a kid in the 90s myself. But it did bloody exist and before that people used BBSes etc before the wider internet. Things were different.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Didn't YouTube change a lot of older videos by automatically slapping a "for kids" label onto videos, so you specifically can't comment on them anymore? I'm pretty sure all my circa 2007 video comments got nuked because of that change.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You have too much faith for the Internet in 40 years! These videos won't be up forever. Get archiving them so youtube doesn't own the future.... They'll call it the past by the time they own all our home vids amd memes!

LeoTCK

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I remember some guy archived my youtube channel on archive.org and then he removed them saying he didn't realize the channel wasn't actually closed. Except it kind of was later, I stopped using it...I don't know why the guy did that.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 things that are old skool Youtube

Charile The Unicorn
Salad Fingers
Duck Song

other wise that's it.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Didn't YouTube change a lot of older videos by automatically slapping a "for kids" label onto videos, so you specifically can't comment on them anymore? I'm pretty sure all my circa 2007 video comments got nuked because of that change.
i have a lot of old unlisted/private videos that were recently marked as age restricted... for some reason, and a clip of the "birth" scene from nier automata that wasn't lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Andy didn't get any catholic toys because they wouldn't go limp when they saw him