Old reviews on gbatemp: yay or nay?

What's your stance on gbatemp's reviews on other kinds of games?

• I'm fine with any game reviews of tic-tac-toe or soccer if that's what you want to write about

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I want it restricted to just video games, but otherwise anything goes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Just the more traditional games (so no mobile or similar games), but can be of any date

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Please keep it to current games only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, namely...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay...so a bit of a background for this thread: I hardly ever play games around release date. Even the best games have some bugs that'll be ironed out, and with the price dropping so rapidly that you can find huge savings pretty quickly after release. And because by that time consensus has usually been reached, I can get a good and nuanced look at almost any game before I try it out*. And because I don't care about multiplayer, there is no inclination to do otherwise.

...perhaps the fact that I like to write reviews. On steam it doesn't matter if a review of an indie game is added years after release because there is quite a long tail (meaning: there are so many potential customers browsing pages that you've got an audience anyhow). But for obvious reasons, I can't review games that I don't play on steam. Games I play on console, for example, or GoG games. Or even weird sh** that I'm probably the only one to like (my farm life 2, for example). I love the process of writing, if not for any other reason to arrange my thoughts on the game. A few months ago, I revisited red alert 2, and wrote a review on it in my blog. It was suggested that I submitted the review on gbatemp, but I don't know. In any case, the last thing I want is my reviews scattered all over the internet. And because I don't think people will like me flooding that section with obscure games of years ago, controversial games (not everyone will like visual novels), let alone MOBILE games or board games, I decided to throw up a poll. I have no clue whether I'm on the right section, but afaik, there are no guidelines to any of this. But likewise, I can understand moderators aren't looking forward to people being up in arms as to what consistutes to what may be called "a game" because some dumba** from Belgium (that'll be me) decides to share his thoughts on how awesome Ticket to ride is, how monopoly is the most boring game since sliced bread or why everyone should get Simon Tatham's puzzles on their android devices.

I especially invite moderators to share their thoughts (here or in private messages), as their opinions matter more than others in this one (no matter the positive outcome, I'm not going to spend lots of time fitting a review in the preconceived format only to have it rejected).

So...how does everyone feel about this? :)

*almost...games like No Man's Sky are still a pickle: everyone who hated it has left the discussion, but the developers are still maintaining and adding stuff to it. And on anno 2070 I found a lot of people absolutely loathing uplay, whereas I found no issue whatsoever

Reactions: iAqua

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
More content, more better.

I too have taken to playing games when the GOTY version gets released for a lot less, with all the DLC and with hopefully many of the show stopping bugs gone.

Reactions: iAqua

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.