Hacking Og Nintendo 3DS XL with CFW and an r4i RTS flashcart won't boot at all (Black screen of death)

maaad17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought an og 3DS XL on eBay that won't boot which came with a 32gb SD card with CFW files (luma, b9s, fbi, menuhax etc.) and an r4i RTS 3DS flashcart. With the SD card inserted, it only boots for a split second (blue light pops up for less than a second) before turning back off. Without the SD card, it just boots up to black screens and the blue light stays solid. I've read many threads in this forum, and used the 3dshax guide and discord and tried almost everything I could think of that was listed.

What I've tried so far

-While the SD card did come with a boot.firm and a boot.3dsx files in the root, I tried changing the boot.firm to a more recent luma version and other luma versions. Inserted the SD card with the new boot.firm into the console and nothing happens - same symptom of blue light only turning on for a split second and then turning off. This was done with the old SD card that it came with and a new one as well (and both had no other files or folders other than the boot.firm) - both were no go.
-tried booting into recovery mode with L+R+up pad+A. Didn't work.
-tried turning on the system without the SD card, removing the battery while it's on and then turning it back on again. Didn't work.
-opened up the console to check if the wifi card was inserted properly or if the ribbons were detached. Everything looked fine from what I could tell
-tried booting with START or SELECT while turning on. Didn't work
-tried NTRboot manually with the r4i RTS card it came with and with my own r4i Gold 3DS Plus (the one that comes with NTRboot preinstalled and with a switch that changes between DS and NTRboot modes). I followed a youtube video guide where I put the system to sleep using a magnet and then turning it on while pressing SELECT+START+X button. It would not turn on whatsoever with the magnet on the sleep mode spot - as in no blue light at all.

The SD card that it came with had the following folders and files in the root (named exactly): "3ds" folder, "boot9strap" folder, "fbi" folder, "gm9" folder, "luma" folder, "Nintendo 3DS" folder, "boot.3dsx" file, "boot.firm" file.

What can I do? Could the motherboard just simply be screwed at this point? If it were bricked in the general sense, it would have a blue screen of death (not black) iirc.

Last edited by maaad17,

maaad17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, thank you. I followed the instructions to a tee and the thing FINALLY booted up. I can finally follow the 3dshax guide and update the programs.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh