Ocarina of Time / Majora's Mask on PAL Wii (Force PAL60) without audio issues

tsanummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone ever figured out how to patch the audio in these WiiVC games?

If you run them via "Force PAL60" on USB Loader GX (or any other method) they will run with RGB and proper colors... but the audio will be laggy (like 50hz audio trying to catch up to 60hz, its really jarring)

If you run them on NTSC well... the screen will have a red tint (no RBG over NTSC here B-) )

I have dedicated probably over 100 hours in total over multiple years trying different solutions without success, I'm so close to giving up and just buying https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/comp2rgb which should get rid of the red tint...

Any suggestions?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, there isn't. you can't get it to display without the red tint using the scart cables, only components can (i think). And that's because Nintendo made it that way, normally scart would & could display out of region games without any issues (like with PS1, PS2, Xbox etc.), but not with the Wii unfortunately.
There's a homebrew for vWii that corrects this issue, though it works only with Wii Us..

- So if you're really hard pressed and want to play OC & MM full speed on your Wii you have 2 options, either play the Collector's Edition version it has both (for the GC, with Nintendont).
- Or use an emulator, Rice64 or the other one, both have perfect compatibility from what i recall, with the addition of save states etc.

Reactions: jeannotte

xdmg01

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You could patch the 00000001.app inside the WAD to force the RGB output using NTSC timings.

When the Wii is using NTSC, the game sends bit with value '0' to the Wii AV encoder via I2C to the register 0x6E, disabling RGB output and enabling S-Video Output.
But when it is EuRGB60 (PAL60), the game sends bit with value '1', disabling S-Video Output and enabling RGB output.
For some reason, some WiiVC games don't have the correct timings for EuRGB60 video mode, so we can force using the RGB output in NTSC video mode modifying the 00000001.app

For the Ocarina of Time NTSC-U version, open the 00000001.app inside the WAD with a Hex Editor, find address 93DD4 and change "38 60 00 00" to "38 60 00 01". Then find address 96A90 and change "38 00 00 00" to "38 00 00 02".
Now run the game through USB Loader GX and put the Video Mode to "Force NTSC". The game will run with NTSC timings but the Wii will output RGB.

This should work but i don't have a SCART cable right now so i can't test it.

tsanummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You could patch the 00000001.app inside the WAD to force the RGB output using NTSC timings.

When the Wii is using NTSC, the game sends bit with value '0' to the Wii AV encoder via I2C to the register 0x6E, disabling RGB output and enabling S-Video Output.
But when it is EuRGB60 (PAL60), the game sends bit with value '1', disabling S-Video Output and enabling RGB output.
For some reason, some WiiVC games don't have the correct timings for EuRGB60 video mode, so we can force using the RGB output in NTSC video mode modifying the 00000001.app

For the Ocarina of Time NTSC-U version, open the 00000001.app inside the WAD with a Hex Editor, find address 93DD4 and change "38 60 00 00" to "38 60 00 01". Then find address 96A90 and change "38 00 00 00" to "38 00 00 02".
Now run the game through USB Loader GX and put the Video Mode to "Force NTSC". The game will run with NTSC timings but the Wii will output RGB.

This should work but i don't have a SCART cable right now so i can't test it.
I will try it ASAP. Did you register just to reply to this thread? You're a god <3
Post automatically merged:

I can't believe it. It works. I hope google picks up this thread and helps everyone else who had this problem.

Thank you so much @xdmg01 I've been trying to do this for literal years.

I'm assuming this method work with MM and OOT romhacks too?

EDIT: Aún encima eres español? pasa número que te hago un bizum colega.

Last edited by tsanummy,
Reactions: totakeke95

xdmg01

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I will try it ASAP. Did you register just to reply to this thread? You're a god <3

I can't believe it. It works. I hope google picks up this thread and helps everyone else who had this problem.

Yes, it works with romhacks too if they use the same 00000001.app.

For MM NTSC-U you need to extract the 00000001.app with wwcxtool. The adresses are 9E280 and A1164. Values are the same as OOT.

When you force PAL60 in these games, the game uses PAL50 video mode instead of PAL60. Still, even after patching and using EuRGB60 the video timings are totally incorrect for some reason. Probably fixable but it is easier to force RGB output using NTSC video mode.
03.PNG

Basically, you search for VI retrace handler function in the dol executable and change the VISetFilter4EURGB60 parameter to 1. This way the game will always enable the RGB output filter no matter what video mode you use.
01.png

Then you find the VISetYUVSEL function and change the VdacFlagRegion from 0 to 2. This will enable PAL color encoding instead of using NTSC color encoding, so composite should be PAL60 too.
02.png

This should work with all WiiVC games that have this problem.

kubimon

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Hi xdmg01!

Thank you for your help about the OoT. It seems like you figured it out from the source code but, can we apply this method to other VC games? Like Mario Kart 64?

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Yes, it works with romhacks too if they use the same 00000001.app.

For MM NTSC-U you need to extract the 00000001.app with wwcxtool. The adresses are 9E280 and A1164. Values are the same as OOT.

When you force PAL60 in these games, the game uses PAL50 video mode instead of PAL60. Still, even after patching and using EuRGB60 the video timings are totally incorrect for some reason. Probably fixable but it is easier to force RGB output using NTSC video mode.
View attachment 346047
Basically, you search for VI retrace handler function in the dol executable and change the VISetFilter4EURGB60 parameter to 1. This way the game will always enable the RGB output filter no matter what video mode you use.
View attachment 346040
Then you find the VISetYUVSEL function and change the VdacFlagRegion from 0 to 2. This will enable PAL color encoding instead of using NTSC color encoding, so composite should be PAL60 too.
View attachment 346041
This should work with all WiiVC games that have this problem.
Also, how did you actually get the source code of the Nintendo VC's internal emulator?

Goalringmod27

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I registered just to say THANK YOU @xdmg01 ! Found this thread on google by sheer dumb luck. I've been stumped with how to play the VC version of OoT/MM on RGB Scart for over a year now. I've tried changing video modes in the app file from PAL50 to PAL60 (and indeed the timings were off like you said, TV spazzed out), I even tried injecting OoT and MM roms into Sin and Punishment PAL VC since that forces PAL60 (worked with OoT, crashed with MM), but THIS is finally a flawless solution for both, I can't thank you enough and hope others find this too!

Reactions: CoolMe

kabir

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Can you please explain how you managed open the 000000001.app files what processes you used. I am a completely newbie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol