Hardware Misc O3DSXL will not turn on

Thebleegel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After being used with no issues for several weeks, I tossed my 3DS XL onto my bed and it will no longer turn on. I believe the DS was turned on when tossed, and it was not until the next morning that I noticed it was no longer on.

There is no blue light at all when the power button is pressed either. The battery was checked with a multi meter and it seems to still have charge. When plugged in, the orange light will come on and eventually turns back off after 5-30 seconds. When the orange light is on and the power button is pressed, the orange charging light will turn off for about a second before turning back on again.

I have looked online all over, and I cannot seem to find anybody with a similar issue that has had the problem resolved. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thebleegel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was CFW installed on this unit?
I did install some CFW a couple of weeks ago, though there did not seem to be any software issues when playing. I did make sure to try to start the 3DS without the SD card, and it still seems to run into the same issues.

TW9User

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After being used with no issues for several weeks, I tossed my 3DS XL onto my bed and it will no longer turn on. I believe the DS was turned on when tossed, and it was not until the next morning that I noticed it was no longer on.

There is no blue light at all when the power button is pressed either. The battery was checked with a multi meter and it seems to still have charge. When plugged in, the orange light will come on and eventually turns back off after 5-30 seconds. When the orange light is on and the power button is pressed, the orange charging light will turn off for about a second before turning back on again.

I have looked online all over, and I cannot seem to find anybody with a similar issue that has had the problem resolved. Any help would be much appreciated!
I get PTSD From this... Yeah from my exp, your 3DS might not turn on again. It happened to me around spring of 2019. It turned on like 2022. I never found out what caused this problem nor how to fix it, It simply started working again for some reason... I hope you have better luck then I.

I was so sad after my 3DS died...

Reactions: AhsanMC

Thebleegel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about recovery/safe mode?
Unfortunately this does not result in anything happening either. I tried holding L+R+A+Up and pressing the power button and nothing happens. I tried this with and without the power cable connected as well.

Chaoticus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silly question: did you check to see if the SD card unseated itself? Check it and see if the SD card popped out a little. If it did push it back in and see if that makes a difference.

Thebleegel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silly question: did you check to see if the SD card unseated itself? Check it and see if the SD card popped out a little. If it did push it back in and see if that makes a difference.
I did try taking it out and putting it back in to no avail. I tried starting it with the SD card, without it, and with an older one as well.

Unfortunately nothing changed, still nothing happens when power button is hit. I do believe that the power button is still working because the charging light turns off temporarily when the power button is pressed, so I do not think that is the issue.

Thebleegel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try running a check disk on the SD card and check off the fix errors where applicable.
I just checked the SD card through the Error Checking window in properties, and it has found no issues. I have no problem accessing the files on it etiher

1697920146586.png

Chaoticus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to know the card is healthy 😁

Only thing I can think of is something under the hood 😜... Better call TheCod3r in for this.... Probably something component level

Thebleegel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to know the card is healthy 😁

Only thing I can think of is something under the hood 😜... Better call TheCod3r in for this.... Probably something component level
Unfortunately I am worried about the same thing!

I am pretty new around here, so I am unsure of who TheCod3r is or if they are somebody that I should try messaging directly?

I have been browsing through Ebay looking for potential donor systems if I can't get it solved. I will likely pick up a New 3DS XL soon regardless, but I would certainly like to get this one working even if it is just for nostalgia!

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just checked the SD card through the Error Checking window in properties, and it has found no issues. I have no problem accessing the files on it etiher
That's generally not a reliable way to check the card. The only proper way to test an SD card is with h2testw. Copy everything off (preferably with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier), format the card, test the empty card with h2testw, and then copy everything back if the test is okay.

... But if it was really a problem with the card, then removing the card entirely would have solved the problem, so it's kind of pointless to look there.

Reactions: Thebleegel

Thebleegel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's generally not a reliable way to check the card. The only proper way to test an SD card is with h2testw. Copy everything off (preferably with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier), format the card, test the empty card with h2testw, and then copy everything back if the test is okay.

... But if it was really a problem with the card, then removing the card entirely would have solved the problem, so it's kind of pointless to look there.
Dang.

Do any of you happen to know if you are able to restore a NAND backup to a new device? I ran a backup recently, but I wanted to keep all of my streetpass info for if I replaced the motherboard or purchased a new system, but it seems like overall that this is not possible.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dang.

Do any of you happen to know if you are able to restore a NAND backup to a new device? I ran a backup recently, but I wanted to keep all of my streetpass info for if I replaced the motherboard or purchased a new system, but it seems like overall that this is not possible.
To start, why not show us you can actually read and reread his post over again. Next. show us you can use the search feature and also read, and you will get the answer to the nand backup question quite easily.

Thebleegel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To start, why not show us you can actually read and reread his post over again. Next. show us you can use the search feature and also read, and you will get the answer to the nand backup question quite easily.
Damn dude, I read and comprehended his message that the SD card was not the issue, so I had decided to move onto a different topic in a similar vein on what to do if this issue wasn't fixable. I mentioned in my post that I was pretty sure that was not possible, but wanted to ask the questions while I was in a thread with people obviously more knowledgeable than me about a specific topic.

No need to start being condescending about the whole thing to somebody who is fairly new on the scene.

Go outside, get some vitamin D, hug your parents or something.

Reactions: signer-ink-beast

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, that is one thing you should absolutely never, EVER do.

You might be able to manually extract your StreetPass Mii Plaza data from the NAND backup using ninfs on a PC, and then restore it to another 3DS using Checkpoint or JKSM. Save data on the SD card is encrypted but can also similarly be decrypted on a PC and restored to another unit.

You can also contact NIntendo and have them move your NNID to another device so you can connect to the eShop and re-download your legally purchased titles.

Thebleegel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, that is one thing you should absolutely never, EVER do.

You might be able to manually extract your StreetPass Mii Plaza data from the NAND backup using ninfs on a PC, and then restore it to another 3DS using Checkpoint or JKSM. Save data on the SD card is encrypted but can also similarly be decrypted on a PC and restored to another unit.

You can also contact NIntendo and have them move your NNID to another device so you can connect to the eShop and re-download your legally purchased titles.
Awesome, thank you so much!

I will make sure to look into all of that once I get a new system. Thanks for all the help!

piracy-haven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did install some CFW a couple of weeks ago, though there did not seem to be any software issues when playing. I did make sure to try to start the 3DS without the SD card, and it still seems to run into the same issues.
Try holding down L bumper, R bumper , DPAD up , and A button. keep holding and boot up. after 5 seconds let go, and then you should see the update menu. hit ok and it should reboot and be fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto