NX-Shell - Multipurpose File Manager for Nintendo Switch

Hello everyone, the new release with the much requested USB support is finally here! (Couldn't have done it without @DarkMatterCore's usb library) It's worth mentioning since it is such a big update (backend changes and FS refactor) there *may* be some issues, but the only way I can find and fix those is through you guys! However rest assured, I did run a lot of tests myself to make sure it is functioning as expected. If I waited a month, it would've been exactly 2 years since the last release 🥺.

icon.jpg

Change-log:

• FS:
    • Added support for browsing USB devices.
    • Switched back to libc to handle FS operations.
    • Brought back support for browsing other devices such as safe, user and system.
  • GUI:
    • Update to imGui v1.88.
    • Switch to imGui's new keyEvent API.
    • The two views (File Browser and Settings) can now be navigated as tabs.
    • Switched from list view to a table view using imGui's table API.
    • Sorting is no longer applied from settings, it can be done directly by clicking on the table column headers.
    • A new selector has been added to allow the user to switch to different devices such as safe, user, USB etc.
    • Settings are no longer categorized by imGui's tree system.
    • No longer uses SDL2 as a backend, but instead uses opengl v3 directly (along with egl).
  • Fixes:
    • Properly delete config file if the config file version is outdated.
    • Properly free textures after exiting application.
    • Fixed scrolling via the right joystick after zooming into an image.
    • Lots of code clean up and under the hood changes that are too many to list here.

f43g1ya.jpg

3dU0ciU.jpg

2022080419235500-a282ce99633b844e0497db963451d670-jpg.321175

Download: https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases

Last edited by Joel16,

Ateoeight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This makes me so happy, my 4XX is now independent from my PC. With NX-Shell, Android Turbo ftp, and NXLoader I'm free to roam the earth!

Reactions: Joel16

James310

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if in future updates you could add support to copy file from an USB to the SD (while docked) for those who don't have an SD port on their PC
i think it's possible
Anyways great job so far !
There’s a payload that allows you to access your sd contents in your computer with the usb ,how ever it’s slower but you’ll be fine if your not transferring gigabytes files like games...

baretbh

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Current version: 1.00 (Beta)

Features:

- Delete files folders.
- Copy/Move files and folders.
- Displays file size. (files only ATM)
- Image viewer (PNG/JPG for now - as long as the images are within the switch's resolution.)

S90wMz1.jpg

abzARE1.jpg

aI95vgZ.jpg

Controls:
Code:
- Press X to bring up options.
- Press A to confirm/enter directory.
- Press B to cancel/leave directory.
- D-Pad is currently used for navigation only.

Download: https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases/tag/1.00 (Please note this is a very early beta, just releasing this to get some opinions on this)
This is wonderful and great design!

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is a great initiative, i've the article about this on wololo and it says you are planning to add an FTP server to NX-Shell, while I think it's a cool feature, do you think it would be possible to connect the Switch via an USB-C cable to our PC and copy files from there like we would do with a mass storage device? Another nice feature would be to be able to plug USB media storages via the USB-C port (using USB-C to USB-A adpaters) and manipulate files from there as well :)))

I can't wait for the mp3 player feature too, the switch was really in need of such an homebrew :)

Last edited by Idaho,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to add that pressing + exits the app.

That is intended.

Also for those asking, as I said audio support (MP3 and other formats), image viewer improvements, as well as FTP will come in later. I need to most of the basic file managing functionality done first. Things like USB mass storage is going to have to wait, but yes I *may* plan to add this later on as well. Pull requests (as long as they're clean and well coded) are always welcome. Libnx is still in its early stages, give it time and more features will be added.

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Need some opinions on the dark theme for next release. (Want to move onto other stuff): Smash, or pass?

h6ULoW6.png
That top bar being a dark blue doesnt match the rest of the theme.

Should add some of that aqua/green to the top bar also so it looks more consistent and suits the rest of the them.

Other then that looking good.

Like the folder colour

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't move, why people who knows how to code just leave things? I wish I could code and make a lot of homebrew xD

PD: The Dark Theme LOOKS AMAZING!

Oh no I'm not moving it to this entirely. Default will be white theme, but this can be toggled in settings.

That top bar being a dark blue doesnt match the rest of the theme.

Should add some of that aqua/green to the top bar also so it looks more consistent and suits the rest of the them.

Other then that looking good.

Like the folder colour

I'm trying to follow the same colour scheme as Android's built in dark theme: https://cdn57.androidauthority.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/android-m-dark.png

Last edited by Joel16,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Giganutz