NTRBoot Released!

It's here!
ntrboot_checklist_2.png

Info

@Normmatt has created a way to run B9S .firm files from bootrom via a DSi Flashcard and a magnet! This works on every 3DS on any firmware version.

For installation without a PC, user @TheCyberQuake has created a pack which will automatically install B9S and copy over essential starter homebrew from the flashcard's SD to the 3DS's. This will mainly be used for PC-less B9S installations. If you have a PC with you, use 3ds.guide. Read more here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/481141/

How does this work?

This works because of a flaw in the bootrom. Before the bootrom boots the NAND, it checks to see if Start+Select+X is held down, and if the shell is closed. If these requirements are met, it will boot an NDS cartridge from the bootrom. This give that cartridge bootrom access. You might be wondering how you'd hold down buttons while the shell is closed, and why you need a magnet. If you put a magnet in a specific spot on the 3DS, it will go into sleep mode. Using this, you can boot the NDS cartridge with the buttons held down while in sleep mode! Using a reflashable flashcard, you can boot B9SInstaller using the flashcard, and easily install it on your 3DS.
The 2DS doesn't need a magnet since a switch puts it to sleep instead of a magnet.

What does this mean?

1. Any 3DS model on any firmware can be hacked with minimal effort
  2. You can unbrick any 3DS model from any type of brick.
    - Remember, you don't need a NAND backup for this. Just do a CTRTransfer.
    - This does not apply to MCU bricks.
  3. Even consoles with fried NAND, or even the NAND chip physically removed, can use this
This is incredibly impressive stuff, and will most likely be released soon! edit: now!

FAQ

Q: Can Nintendo patch this?
A: Nope! Not without a new hardware revision.

Q: My flashcard is blocked by my firmware! Can I still use this?
A: Yes! The flashcard blacklist is not enabled on the bootrom.

Q: Why can't this work with my flashcard?
A: The installation requires you to flash NTRBoot to the flashcard's nand. Most DS flashcards, such as the original R4, have a ROM, which is not flashable.

Q: Can I install NTRBoot on my flashcard without another 3DS system?
A: If you can run NDS roms on your 3DS with it, then yes. If it's blocked on your 3DS version, then you'll need another 3DS system to use it.

Q: Will my 3DS flashcard work?
A: No, only the NDSi flashcards listed above.

Q: Will any other flash cards work?
A: Only the ones listed in the OP. However keep in mind that flashcards such as the DSTT, Supercard DS2 and R4 SDHC Dualcore are planned to be supported in the future.

Q: I tried to do this with my cartridge and it didn't work?
A: It doesn't work with regular DS cards.

Q: Can I unbrick from a ____ brick?
A: Considering the card has access to the bootrom, yes! This can unbrick any brick (except MCU), unless you've taken a knife to the motherboard.

Q: Can I install B9S on the latest firmware with this?
A: Again, since the card has access to the bootrom, you can do this easily! Just plug in your flashcard, boot up using the magnet and button combination, and install.

Q: Does this work on the New Nintendo 2DS XL?
A: Yes!

:arrow: Release
:arrow: Guide
:arrow: Free NTRBoot Flashing
:arrow: Free B9S Installations

Here is SciresM's post about this

Please see SciresM's presentation on bootromhax.

Last edited by Deleted member 381889,

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
took me a billion tries. had to blow in the slot gently, then a little on the cart and then it dumped. without moving a muscle it then failed to inject.

blew it again (lol) and then it worked. i don't have any unhacked 3ds systems so i can't tell if its working but it still works like a normal ak2i and it has a different header (used to have pippel funnel and now has the ak2i logo and works fine) so i know it flashed something to it. i also had a backup with decrypt9 just in case.

can't wait to test it.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So what is actually flashed to the flashcart? Just a .firm file?
How would they go about unbricking? You could boot from the flashcart sure, but how do you fix the corrupt NAND? You'd boot into GM9 and generate all those mac files and CTRTransfer to an unbricked NAND.bin?

Last edited by MrJason005,

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm, Im unable to verify this works? I restored my sysnand back to an arm9 backup and this fails to work? NTR boot hack installed without errors.....so, what gives?

Last edited by democracy,

Snooli

Trophies
XP
Country
Wait now I'm confused, so can I still use AKAIO with it after flashing NTRBoot or not? You both say something different :P And my Acekard is already recognized as Deep Labyrinth so I'm good I guess.

Apparently? I'm confused as well, I thought the Acekard was supposed to be nonfunctional while ntrboot was on it.

AFAIK the card doesn't work like a flash card while NTRboot is on it. However, the guide already includes steps for backing it up and restoring later. So no, I don't think it's "working" with it, but it's easy to restore.

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
AFAIK the card doesn't work like a flash card while NTRboot is on it. However, the guide already includes steps for backing it up and restoring later. So no, I don't think it's "working" with it, but it's easy to restore.

Okay I'll just wait and see what the general consensus is because for some it continues to work like a normal Acekard and for some it doesn't :(

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't the R4i SDHC 3DS RTS gonna be supported eventually ?
Since it looks pretty much the same as the R4i Gold 3DS RTS which is one of the supported cards. Just wondering.
That's the case for most R4 clones- however, on the inside these two carts are very different.

The R4i SDHC 3DS RTS is a DSTT clone, whereas the R4i Gold 3DS RTS is an original R4 clone.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Isn't the R4i SDHC 3DS RTS gonna be supported eventually ?
Since it looks pretty much the same as the R4i Gold 3DS RTS which is one of the supported cards. Just wondering.
A lot of the chinese manufacturers keep their kernel closed, and we can't tamper with it.
In order to make a DS flashcart compatible with with ntrboot, we need to be able to change the kernel. Only those two cards allow us to do such.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is the be-all, end-all solution, isn't it? It doesn't matter what Nintendo does to future firmware updates, as long as you have one of these flashcards and a magnet, you'll always be able to install the likes of B9S on your 3DS. That's amazing.

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is the be-all, end-all solution, isn't it? It doesn't matter what Nintendo does to future firmware updates, as long as you have one of these flashcards and a magnet, you'll always be able to install the likes of B9S on your 3DS. That's amazing.
Correct.

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I'll just wait and see what the general consensus is because for some it continues to work like a normal Acekard and for some it doesn't :(
i have a sneaking suspicion, if your still able to use as a cart too, the flash didn't take and youvshould try again.

first time i tried, still worked as a cart but didn't work with ntr... Second flash an error has occurred if i try to use as a cart andbfingers crossed with ntr...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.s-config.com/cyanogen-mod-and-the-ouya/