Hacking Discussion [NSP] is greater than [XCI]

Erol

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
so, I already trimmed all my XCI files... can I still convert them to NSP or should I just redownload everything as NSP files?

Also, do NSP consume the same amount of storage as XCI files? Or is there a difference in size?

thanks!

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
so, I already trimmed all my XCI files... can I still convert them to NSP or should I just redownload everything as NSP files?

Also, do NSP consume the same amount of storage as XCI files? Or is there a difference in size?

thanks!
Trimmed XCIs consume less space. As of this moment there isn't a reliable way to convert XCI to NSP. And also you need double the space because after you install the NSP you'll still have the NSP file in the SD Card.

Reactions: Erol

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there IS a downside.

Multi SD card users. With XCI I can pop in SD card #1 and see what games I have on it. With this method its a crap shoot without a cheat sheet.

Reactions: willhack

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For those who have a large number of XCI files on their Micro SD Cards...
I think it would be a better setup to use NSP files instead. Here is why:

1) Simply use CDNSP_Next (Along with CDNSP-GUI) to easily obtain titles, updates and DLC.
2) No need to Trim any files.
3) Repackage titles into an NSP package.

Once files are obtained, launch FTPd from within SX OS Homebrew Menu and transfer the nsp file(s) to the root of the Micro SD Card. Then install them via Devmenu (This method may change once TX release an installation tool). Afterwards, delete the NSP file(s) off of the card using NX-Shell.

Pros:

1) No need to utilize SX OS Loader Menu / Cart Emulation to load games. Just click the "Installed" game and start playing immediately. (Note: You still need to use SX OS to enable signature patching which happens automatically.)
2) Choice of where to install games, updates and DLC (System Memory or Micro SD Card)
3) Best part of all! No need to REBOOT and re-enter RCM at all during the entire process!

Cons:

1)
Higher detection rate; guaranteed ban. However, if this is not a concern to you (perhaps you have a second switch dedicated to hacking and offline play), then this con is insignificant.
Good points thanks. Do we still have to modify NSPs in a HeX editor and do funky stuff or we can just download them from CDNSP and install them directly?

Reactions: morrison22

morrison22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good points thanks. Do we still have to modify NSPs in a HeX editor and do funky stuff or we can just download them from CDNSP and install them directly?
Download and install directly with your choice of SX-OS NSP Installer built into the CFW, DevMenu, or Tinfoil. Note: Tinfoil only supports Base Game NSP installation and does not support Update or DLC NSPs.

Reactions: Rob Blou

matias3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
i have installed the nxeshop installer , question is this tool going to receive updates automatically or do we have to load an update version every time ?

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using nsp, because I actually have a game in my game card slot. I guess I could dump it so I don’t have to eject it when I load an xci each time, but I’m using nsp, so no need. What a circle. Lol

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do people with low post counts get ignored on this forum? Guess I'll need to be more witty.
Yes. Don't touch me you filthy low post count user! I swear, you people flood this site, the mods should have never given you people any rights!

willhack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there IS a downside.

Multi SD card users. With XCI I can pop in SD card #1 and see what games I have on it. With this method its a crap shoot without a cheat sheet.
Somewhat agree. I do have 3 128 gb SDcards. I find myself putting update files in the SD card that does not have the game itself but w ftpd like he mentions you don't even need to turn off device. Also it's easy to see what games you have in an SD card using a switch bc it tells you to download it if you don't have it in said SDcard. The only problem is when you're using a computer sdcard reader to load games. Bc you don't know which SD card has what games. So a txt file w game titles in each sdcard is needed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: balls