FIXED! Notification box icons: help us find better ones

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
DISCLAIMER: this thread is not about whether you like the notification box or not, or about you wanting it removed. The notification box will be discussed in a separate thread, this thread focuses on the icons only. Thank you for respecting that :)

The icons of the notification box are from an old copyright free icon set.
We couldn't produce better ones (due to the lack of a graphic designer in the team) so we had to resort to these:

upload_2015-5-31_11-39-52.png

Individual icons:
visitor.png

Feel free to suggest better ones, designing them yourselves or selecting them from a commercial-free & copyright-free source.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Margen67

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Even though these look great, they want flat, not realism (glossy).

Well...they never said a thing.. ..nobody did really. But if that's the case, I can change it, since I added the gradient myself.
Thanks for the feedback Joostin.. ..if you think something else should be looked at, feel free to tell me

vassildador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What about using an icon-font like font-awesome? They're easy to set up and you can resize/recolor them at will with CSS font properties. All relevant browsers support this (including IE8. If IE7 is needed they offer you an older version of the font with a smaller amount of icons).

As they're not images, i can't easily add them to the post, but I'd suggest the following ones:
https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/envelope-o/
https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/bell-o/
https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/exclamation-triangle/
https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/upload/

Here's some screenshots for reference:
Lr5aqYs.png
eisXVcs.png
UxyfPQn.png
7xlqRNt.png

You can easily change the envelope/bell ones to a "full" version (instead of an outline) by removing the "-o" from the URL. If you'd need any help setting them up, I can give you some pointers but it's pretty straight-forward.

They also remain sharp on high-res monitors which use DPI scaling (images won't) as, well, it's a font.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I do like the look of the font-awesome icons.
(See also the post here)

I don't think they need to be flat per se (unless Costello has a different opinion), but they need to look better and more integrated.

vassildador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I do like the look of the font-awesome icons.
(See also the post here)

I don't think they need to be flat per se (unless Costello has a different opinion), but they need to look better and more integrated.
Guess I've been beaten to the punch, albeit in a different thread :)

As a web developer I can't recommend icon-fonts enough. They've saved us an enormous amount of time and hassle at work. The only "issue" I see with popular ones like font-awesome is that you're going to see them on many websites, thus it won't be very unique anymore.

Astoria

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Going to cross-post on here:

Oh, no. That's not how it works. You link the font just like you link any CSS or JS file, users don't have to install anything. Actually, the only thing you need to do is add one line of code to the page:

Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.3.0/css/font-awesome.min.css">

And then the font is ready to use. You just use
Code:
<i class="fa fa-star"></i>
and it will display a star. It's that simple and works in all current browsers.

More info here on how to get started: https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/get-started/
And also here on how to use the icons: https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/examples/

EDIT: A quick example of how the change would look like. I'm pretty surprised I didn't need to modify the current CSS at all, I just inserted the icons and they fitted perfectly on the page:

4QN7gFY.jpg
APjup4v.jpg

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
the flags will still need to be colored, or kept simple enough to keep their meaning.
they are used on the Ask.gbatemp to determine if the answer has replies or any reply marked as best reply.

I did the thingies. 4 variations for the "portal" icons + the flags:

- I played with color a bit when creating some of the icons... cause colors are cool too

p_Gray1.png

p_Gray2.png

p_Gray3.png

p_Gray4.png

c_Gray1.png

I also went more flat as Joostin suggested... should look fine.

- And one of the other sets, but flatted out too

vgray_F.png

Last edited by Walker D,
Reactions: Cyan and nxwing

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Kind of a late double-post, but..

..I wanted to know if something about this subjects here have been decided already?

No staff behind the handling of the layout have replied yet, so ...I was wondering if the icons I made with that pack as base are ok? ...or are you guys trying to use other ideas here posted?

Edit: Since I'm posting here anyways, here's a suggestion:

- about the box itself of the notification box (the white rectangle), You could use the "new alert" popup window as a reference of how it could look. So basically, it could have a lower opacity (be more transparent) and have the corners that are visible to be more rounded (maybe even have a darker color for the Dark Theme... ..even though it's not that important.. would look good it seems)

Last edited by Walker D,
Reactions: nxwing

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I see.. ok ...If you guys have other things in mind though (design-wise), feel free to share the thoughts, so we can work on other options

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.