Hardware No Browser on the Nintendo Switch ? Is this true ?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's a smart move. A browser is usually the easiest entry point for hacks/exploits, and Switch is meant to be a gaming console, not a tablet/smartphone replacement. A couple video streaming apps are all you need on a device of this kind. Nintendo is aware that people already have a million devices which have the same apps.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I think the last thing Nintendo needs is looking like they are pushing a lame duck, if they genuine don't include a browser at all the standard consumer will feel ripped off....even if they never plan to use it, its just what you expect from any sort of tablet, even if it is primarily designed to be a game console.

public perception has to be just right on the switch and doing a dumb move like completely omitting a basic feature for the sakes of it *possibly* being used in an exploit is stupid.......zelda games have a track record of being used to exploit system....should they forbid them from being on the switch?....oh and youtube? and crappy third party games too

no, features should never be omitted to prop up your security, if your security cant hold its own weight you have bigger issues than a web browser, the current 3ds system will probably be the new norm, i.e the browser being locked down when a update is released

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think the last thing Nintendo needs is looking like they are pushing a lame duck, if they genuine don't include a browser at all the standard consumer will feel ripped off....even if they never plan to use it, its just what you expect from any sort of tablet, even if it is primarily designed to be a game console.
There is a certain segment of people who see this kind of thing as a necessity on a gaming console, but I think they're probably a pretty small minority. We know Nintendo will be pushing a companion app, and it's expected that people bring their smartphones with them everywhere they go regardless of whether they also bring a portable console or not.

TBH the last good console browser was Wii anyway, navigating and typing on web pages with a console controller is frustrating and a massive waste of time.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
There is a certain segment of people who see this kind of thing as a necessity on a gaming console, but I think they're probably a pretty small minority. We know Nintendo will be pushing a companion app, and it's expected that people bring their smartphones with them everywhere they go regardless of whether they also bring a portable console or not.

TBH the last good console browser was Wii anyway, navigating and typing on web pages with a console controller is frustrating and a massive waste of time.
your thinking "gamer" Nintendo would obviously want to try cater to everyone, not just the usual gamer types, see I'm pretty sure nintedo plan to try take even a small piece of the ipad/tablet market share, for them to do that they need all the basic core features people would like in such a device, as I said even if the features is never really used, for them to be missing something so (by todays standards) standard, they basically make their device look even more gimped than a $10 Chinese tablet device

D

Deleted User

Typing on the wii keyboard was trash, but I do agree with you on it being the last good console browser.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why even care when you're probably browsing this forum with a pc?
And besides, one big hint that maybe there won't be a browser is Nintendo's system of online voice chat.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
see the wii u browser is/was handy, especially if your playing a game and want to check where something is, how to unlock something or look if there is any easter eggs or anything related to the game your currently playing, sure, I could grab my phone, but why should I have to when the device in my hand is easily capable of doing such simple web searches

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The browser might just be an app that shows up in the game list further to the right - I think that's how the PS4 does it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
your thinking "gamer" Nintendo would obviously want to try cater to everyone, not just the usual gamer types, see I'm pretty sure nintedo plan to try take even a small piece of the ipad/tablet market share, for them to do that they need all the basic core features people would like in such a device, as I said even if the features is never really used, for them to be missing something so (by todays standards) standard, they basically make their device look even more gimped than a $10 Chinese tablet device
No, Nintendo is trying to make everyone a gamer (and almost everybody already is), not cater to demographics outside of that distinction. Reggie has stated as much in his recent interview where he talks about increasing the size of Nintendo's footprint. They want Nintendo gamers to be there for the Nintendo brand, of course, but then they want third parties to do their own thing, to attract different segments of the gaming population.

Gnarmagon

Noob <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, this might be a case where the hacking scene has made Nintendo reconsider some of the things they include, including a web browser, where we'd have far more potential of finding vulnerabilities. Thing is they must be aware that there are far more ways to get an exploit running than just a web browser. Beyond that, look at the sales of the 3DS and the original Wii, these two systems were heavily exploited, yet they still sold fantastically well, conversely, the Wii U was only very recently hacked wide open, and both prior and after getting hacked, it made no difference, the system sold very poorly. So if Nintendo truly believes that stopping exploits before they happen is what will guarantee them the most profits, I'm really not so sure about that.

As a portable, I wouldn't care if the Switch didn't have an internet browser, I have a great smartphone on me at all times that I readily use to browse the internet. However, as a home console, it is a bit of a bummer (if its true), i use the browser on my Wii U all the time, I love to use it to watch cartoons and anime on Kisscartoon and kissanime respectively. On the other hand, utilizing a browser on your TV without a gamepad for navigation would be so infuriating that I likely wouldn't use it, which is exactly what has happened with my PS4, yeah it has a browser, but I never use it because navigating it with a standard PS4 controller is a nightmare.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well its not so bad, mobile would be completely optional, where you can still always connect to wifi at no fee. Which is what I'd do regardless, if I want to get a mobile connection on my Switch, I'd turn my phone into a mobile wifi hotspot so that I don't have to pay for another device on my monthly mobile bill.
Do you want to say that they should include A9LH and Exploits in their Firmware that the Console sells well ? (I like it ;))

Yeah, youtube isn't an excuse
It is :P

D

Deleted User

Do you want to say that they should include A9LH and Exploits in their Firmware that the Console sells well ? (I like it ;))

It is :P
Ehhhh no not really. Youtube App :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: I met you in my dreams.