Hardware Nintnedo switch Internal storage upgradeablity

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know there is a micro sd slot in there but im just thinking for the enthusiast that wants the most out of their console the nand flash chip is not soldered to the main board leaving us to speculate if there is a upgradeablty aspect to the internal storage. i dont know how expensive or cheap 64gb/128gb/256gb nand flash chips are and if someone even has the means of transferring data from one to another. i meant until 256gbg micro sd cards are cheap this may be a liable option from me and others depending on price and difficulty. so in short is it possbile and has somebody tried it

Let me just say again i know there is a micro sd slot im just saying a what if situation so please do not comment why dont you use the microsd slot or anything like it

Reactions: Enovale

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Replacing the nand chip or extracting an image of the chip isn't the hard part, it's that its contents will be encrypted, it isn't something you can just create a larger partition for and paste the files into.

You can do this with android phones but even then OS often needs modifications but it's nothing too complex since it uses a known filesystem on an easily creatable filesystem on an open source platform. We neither have the ability to modify the OS to that level (let alone people being knowledgeable enough in this regard to be able to do the modifcations since it is closed source), we haven't broken encryption on it and we don't have any tools that allow us to create the filesystem. There are countless steps before anything like this is remotely possible. Even if/when nintendo has larger models available that wont simply leave us the option to drop in any chip we want.

That being said, microsd cards are cheap, easily swappable and probably your best option. 128GB cards are like 40 Canadian pesos on sale so I presume they must be pretty cheap down south in the states, storage is always getting cheaper. Sure 200 or 256GB microsd cards may not be that cheap yet but before you know it they will be.

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Replacing the nand chip or extracting an image of the chip isn't the hard part, it's that its contents will be encrypted, it isn't something you can just create a larger partition for and paste the files into.

You can do this with android phones but even then OS often needs modifications but it's nothing too complex since it uses a known filesystem on an easily creatable filesystem on an open source platform. We neither have the ability to modify the OS to that level (let alone people being knowledgeable enough in this regard to be able to do the modifcations since it is closed source), we haven't broken encryption on it and we don't have any tools that allow us to create the filesystem. There are countless steps before anything like this is remotely possible. Even if/when nintendo has larger models available that wont simply leave us the option to drop in any chip we want.

That being said, microsd cards are cheap, easily swappable and probably your best option. 128GB cards are like 40 Canadian pesos on sale so I presume they must be pretty cheap down south in the states, storage is always getting cheaper. Sure 200 or 256GB microsd cards may not be that cheap yet but before you know it they will be.
So in other words your saying the actually file copy would be the hard part. Like the partition would only see 32gb if you copied it to the chip. I mean I would think the is just wouldn't allow it but I thipough it doesn't matter if the files are encrypted or not it would just be a simple file copy I guess not though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30