Nintendo's Switch to finally hit Turkey at ~$500 USD

bundle_color_console.jpg

After withdrawing from the Turkish market due to the country's financial instability, Nintendo finally reenters the scene to sell its Switch system and assorted peripherals in the country. They're doing this through the company CD Media, an entertainment software/hardware distribution and localization company, serving peripheral manufacturers and publishers, based in Athens Greece. While consumers are generally enthusiastic at the prospect of Nintendo's presence returning to the market where it's been missed, the stated prices for the system, games, and peripherals will be relatively more expensive than they are elsewhere. From the Turkish games retailer OverGame's online storefront come the prices listed below:
  • Nintendo Switch Neon Red and Blue: 2,399 TL (USD $495 / £377)
  • Nintendo Switch Gray: $ 2,399 (USD $495 / £377)
  • Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Binary Gray 559 TL (USD $115 / £87)
  • Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Binary Neon Red and Blue 559 TL (USD $115 / £87)
  • Nintendo Switch Pro Controller 499 TL (USD $102 / £78)
  • Super Mario Odyssey: 379 TL (USD $78 / £60)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 329 TL (USD $68 / £52)

This means that the Switch system itself is to be 1.65 times as expensive, the joycon sets ~1.44 times, and the pro controller ~1.46 times. This price hike makes less sense when you take into account the countries general financial struggles, and is evidently much more expensive than was predicted.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

A fairly common mistake I see people make, is assuming that certain products, and especially technology, will be cheaper in less developed countries. The Switch, like any other consumer electronic, will be far more expensive in less developed countries such as Turkey, Mexico, African countries, etc. Why?

Because the product infrastructure of the country is far less developed than first world countries. Imports and exports cost more. Bigger taxes. A far higher difficulty in getting better deals with company's who don't see these underdeveloped markets as profitable. And most important of all, the smaller the specific market population, the less likely it is to have a cheap product.

Let's face it, when big companies like Apple, Samsung, Nintendo or Microsoft make a product, they don't think:

Oh, I wonder how many sales we can get in Turkey! Or Portugal! Or freaking Ghana!

No. These companies will target the biggest and most established markets, such as the USA, UK, Germany, Japan, Canada, France, Spain, even freaking Italy or Switzerland fit this description better than Turkey or my own country ever would.

Why would they waste money, marketing a specific product in a country where 70% of the population cannot afford it? They wouldn't. So it becomes very hard to even bring those products, let alone sell them at a competitive price.

Is it unfair? Yes. But it's also reality, in my view.
I do agree to most of your points but do find your desicion to distinguish world economics to first world/second/third worlds to be outdated and insulting.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I do agree to most of your points but do find your desicion to distinguish world economics to first world/second/third worlds to be outdated and insulting.

Well, I doubt that it is outdated, since we see this happen time and time again, with a multitude of technology based products, on the same set of countries time and time again.

Once we get past the "I'm insulted" feeling however, we can easily see the reason why it keeps happening.

These companies run businesses. Not charities. The end goal is always to make money and turn a maximum amount of profitability.

Naturally they will make decisions that are economically smart and viable. Not make economic decisions based on fairness (unfortunately for all of us living in such countries/parts of the world).

Last edited by WhiteMaze,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

After withdrawing from the Turkish market due to the country's financial instability, Nintendo finally reenters the scene to sell its Switch system and assorted peripherals in the country. They're doing this through the company CD Media, an entertainment software/hardware distribution and localization company, serving peripheral manufacturers and publishers, based in Athens Greece. While consumers are generally enthusiastic at the prospect of Nintendo's presence returning to the market where it's been missed, the stated prices for the system, games, and peripherals will be relatively more expensive than they are elsewhere. From the Turkish games retailer OverGame's online storefront come the prices listed below:

This means that the Switch system itself is to be 1.65 times as expensive, the joycon sets ~1.44 times, and the pro controller ~1.46 times. This price hike makes less sense when you take into account the countries general financial struggles, and is evidently much more expensive than was predicted.

:arrow: Source
Well everyone will pirate so it might be okay, does turkey allow shops that put pirated games on systems?

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
A fairly common mistake I see people make, is assuming that certain products, and especially technology, will be cheaper in less developed countries. The Switch, like any other consumer electronic, will be far more expensive in less developed countries such as Turkey, Mexico, African countries, etc. Why?

Because the product infrastructure of the country is far less developed than first world countries. Imports and exports cost more. Bigger taxes. A far higher difficulty in getting better deals with company's who don't see these underdeveloped markets as profitable. And most important of all, the smaller the specific market population, the less likely it is to have a cheap product.

Let's face it, when big companies like Apple, Samsung, Nintendo or Microsoft make a product, they don't think:

Oh, I wonder how many sales we can get in Turkey! Or Portugal! Or freaking Ghana!

No. These companies will target the biggest and most established markets, such as the USA, UK, Germany, Japan, Canada, France, Spain, even freaking Italy or Switzerland fit this description better than Turkey or my own country ever would.

Why would they waste money, marketing a specific product in a country where 70% of the population cannot afford it? They wouldn't. So it becomes very hard to even bring those products, let alone sell them at a competitive price.

Is it unfair? Yes. But it's also reality, in my view.
That's correct, however the PS4 in turkey is cheaper, maybe because there is official Sony distributor, not like Nintendo.
After the famicom, most of the middle east relied on PlayStation or Sega, not everyone had n64 or gamecube, so Nintendo products sells much less in the middle east.
Also Nintendo till now they don't support a digital store for middle east, you have to put the region US or Europe to buy digital games.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Wasn't the "less developed"/"LDE" and "more developed" term, which was used in the post you quoted, developed to replace the first/third world thing so as to avoid insults*?

*some might tell me it was as the cold war ended and the original meaning of the terms had lost some meaning. The "insults" thing was the one I was taught though.

What model would you propose we use instead? Levels of economic development, industrialisation and such do seem like useful things to contemplate when dealing with international prices, distribution and such like.

Anyway I see we had another continents discussion wherein South Americans get a bit feisty over the term America as it is used in English but I missed it. https://gbatemp.net/threads/why-usa-region-is-called-usa.499653/ still covers most of what I would say, though for a bit of flavour I will also throw in this video

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You have probably been to a city, but a lot of the population is rural. The city dwellers know more English than rural farmers.
The people in turkey know more english compared to people in France, spain, italy and so forth. So i find in general that they speak a lot of english.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't know where you are getting your data from because that seems to be completely untrue. Again I think it is probably an availability bias.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_English_Proficiency_Index

Turkey scores much lower than all the nations you listed.
I live next to france and live in a country where the second language is french. I live like less then 100km's from the french border. I know what i'm talking about ;). Go to a french cinema/movies and enjoy seeing brad pitt and so forth dubbed in French. While in Belgium or in Turkey it will be subbed instead. I'm not Turkish btw

Last edited by kumikochan,

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What are you talking about. I been to Turkey, everybody speaks english over there.
You talked to all 70+ million people living in Turkey? Awesome!
The people in turkey know more english compared to people in France, spain, italy and so forth. So i find in general that they speak a lot of english.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

Turkey's population capable of speaking English is 17%. France is 39%. Spain is 22%. Italy is 34%.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You talked to all 70+ million people living in Turkey? Awesome!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

Turkey's population capable of speaking English is 17%. France is 39%. Spain is 22%. Italy is 34%.
It is a wikipedia thing. Do you live over here ? I'm telling you from experience. From living in a country where they also speak french and from a person who lives not far from the french border. Paris is like 500km's away from where i live gee. French mostly don't speak English and when you don't answer them in French they get arrogant. So any list who places a country like France above better english speaking countries is innaccurate for me. I wonder where they got their statistics from tho and how many people they actually asked to do the test or if they only took the people who have a degree in English. Do a Europe tour and then tell me from your own experience ;). I know how French people are. It's the same in Belgium, flemish people speak English, Flemish, French and a lot also do German while the French community in Belgium only speaks French

Last edited by kumikochan,

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It is a wikipedia thing. Do you live over here ? I'm telling you from experience. From living in a country where they also speak french and from a person who lives not far from the french border. Paris is like 500km's away from where i live gee. French mostly don't speak English and when you don't answer them in French they get arrogant. So any list who places a country like France above better english speaking countries is innaccurate towards me. I wonder where they got their statistics from tho and how many people they actually asked to do the test or if they only took the people who have a degree in English. Do a Europe tour and then tell me from your own experience ;)
Turkey isn't in Europe lol

That "Wikipedia thing" has sources at the bottom of the page. But sure, here is an article from the AP:
http://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/turkey/02082014

And here's a Telegraph article:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/mapped-english-speaking-countries/

Maybe you should trust statistics made by taking in consideration millions of people rather than your own limited personal experience.

Reactions: x65943

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Turkey isn't in Europe lol

That "Wikipedia thing" has sources at the bottom of the page. But sure, here is an article from the AP:
http://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/turkey/02082014

And here's a Telegraph article:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/mapped-english-speaking-countries/

Maybe you should trust statistics made by taking in consideration millions of people rather than your own limited personal experience.
Ofcourse Turkey isn't Europe but I'm talking about the claim you made that French people speak more English. I don't trust statistics that didn't ask a whole country if they can literally speak the language. Plus I also don't know wich means they used or how they conducted the test. If they used people that only have a degree in English well then I don't fall in to that category. I know more from experience then a statistic can tell you and i'm telling you FRENCH DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH A LOT. Again, Flemish community in Belgium speaks Flemish, French, English and also a lot do German while in the French community ZERO speak English or even Flemish wich is the other national language of their OWN country. If I go to Paris wich I do around 20 - 30 times a year due to work NOBODY will respond to me in English and ALWAYS have to talk in French and that in a tourist town. I often have to translate emails, documents and in meetings French to English because they DON'T speak English. So yeah it is from a ton of experience and fuck that statistic. Go visit it yourself and you'll see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe