Homebrew Nintendont works with an 8gb Toshiba usb, but not a Verbatim 32gb, freezes before any text??

PerryPerry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey all, first timer here but occasional lurker haha.

My friend has set up my wii with the homebrew channel along with a multitude of games (nes, snes, n64, small files) on an SD card. All of that is working
fine. Wii backups with WBFS manager work well too, and anything on the toshiba 8gb usb I have works fine, including gamecube games run on
Nintendont 3.334 using the same usb and other 8gb I have.

So to make life easier, I bought a 32gb Verbatim USB from Kmart (I'm Australian btw), and after loading my gc isos on the new usb with all the correct file hierarchy etc, I
booted up Nintendont, and it freezes before any text shows up. I have to pull out the power cord and start all over.

So, wtf am I doing wrong? Is the USB faulty? I've formatted it and tried multiple times, booting in usbloader/wiiflow comes up with the same problem.I've used it to play tv shows on my Ps3
with no problems at all. Even attempted with the other identical usb I bought. I'm painfully reluctant to update Nintendont or delete things to make
room on the full sd card out of fear of messing something up, but if it's necessary I will try.
Honestly mostly using it for gc games.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers PerryPerry

TheThief

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
32gb? flash/Thumb drives don't work very well on Wii/U. I know prices are steeper in AU, but an external HDD will work better. I've had luck with some flash drives but many have had issues or not worked at all. Not to mention they are painfully slow. amazon.au has 500gb Wester Digital drives for around 72 dollars. Another option if your SD is big enough, GC games can be on SD card.

PerryPerry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
32gb? flash/Thumb drives don't work very well on Wii/U. I know prices are steeper in AU, but an external HDD will work better. I've had luck with some flash drives but many have had issues or not worked at all. Not to mention they are painfully slow. amazon.au has 500gb Wester Digital drives for around 72 dollars. Another option if your SD is big enough, GC games can be on SD card.

Oh geez I had no idea. I have a 2tb Harddrive that a mate is sorting out for me and provided everything is alright I should be getting it back tomorrow, I was just keen to have a select few favourites on a 32gb. Do you know why? Thanks for the reply btw.

TheThief

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2tb, nice. I have a 1tb Toshiba HDD with over 500 games (a huge bulk is wiiware and VC), loads of movies, and have yet to fill it so you should be fine for quite some time. I'm not sure I understood the question you asked though.

Last edited by TheThief,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Certain brands (or models inside that brand) of SD, USB or HDD seem to not be liked by the console, there was a comptibility list floating around this site if I remember right.

As you say, Toshiba works, I also have a couple of them with different sizes and never gave ma single issue (in fact I'm using one to play my ripped MH3 as I'm typing this). Kingston DataTraveler G4 is another brand I'm using for my GC backups and works like a charm.

Also, just to check, did you format it Fat32 with cluster of 32kb? I remember reading it was the best recommendation for GC games.
Oh, and make sure to insert the USB on slot 0! I remember being baffled by Nintendont getting problems everywhere, and it was because I stupidly put the USB on slot 1. It was confusing as hell until I realized it!

Last edited by Maeson,
Reactions: TheThief

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later