Nintendo Switch Reveal

NintendoSwitch_hardware.0.0.jpg
Nintendo has finally decided to show off their new "home gaming system", code-name NX. It's time to see what Nintendo has up their sleeves and put all the rumors to rest.
GBAtemp will covering the announcement and the OP will be updated as new information rolls in from the preview. Remember, the video starts at 9AM Central Standard Time, so be sure to watch, and discuss your thoughts here!

:arrow: Nintendo Official Site
Trailer

It's called the Nintendo Switch. Rumors are true, it's a tablet with connectable buttons that you can play at home and on the go. Console Controller looks similar to the Xbox One's. Has small little remotes and supports multiplayer. NBA game being shown. 3D Mario title. When you connect the portable controllers the system goes from console to portable. Skyrim and Splatoon shown. Still coming March next year.

Press Release
Detachable Controllers Reinvent Gaming

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- In an introductory video released today, Nintendo provided the first glimpse of its new home gaming system and revealed that it is called Nintendo Switch. In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.

At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch Dock that connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock, the system will instantly transition to portable mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the park, on an airplane, in a car, or to a friend’s apartment.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

Companies that will support the Switch
505 Games
• LEVEL-5 Inc.
• Activision Publishing, Inc.
• Marvelous Inc.
• ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
• Maximum Games, LLC
• ATLUS CO., LTD.
• Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
• Audiokinetic Inc.
• Parity Bit Inc.
• Autodesk, Inc.
• PlatinumGames Inc.
• BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
• RAD Game Tools, Inc.
• Bethesda
• RecoChoku Co., Ltd.
• CAPCOM CO., LTD.
• SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
• Codemasters®
• Silicon Studio Corporation
• CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
• Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
• DeNA Co., Ltd.
• SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
• Electronic Arts
• Starbreeze Studios
• Epic Games Inc.
• Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
• Firelight Technologies
• Telltale Games
• FromSoftware, Inc.
• THQ Nordic
• Frozenbyte
• Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
• GameTrust
• TT Games
• GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.

• UBISOFT
• Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
• Ubitus Inc.
• HAMSTER Corporation
• Unity Technologies, Inc.
• Havok
• Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
• INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
• Web Technology Corp

Screens
ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.18.41).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.19.46).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.07).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.18).jpg

ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.44).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.03).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.24).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.54).jpg

ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.08).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.24).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.36).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.23.16).jpg
It will be powered by a custom Nvidia Tegra chip.
Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

:arrow: Nvidia Blog

:arrow: Nintendo Switch Site

aCvN5gD4VMAA0FCh.jpg aCvN5gEIVIAAOcAA.jpg aCvN5gEmUMAAx8nb.jpg aCvN5gEZUAAAzayg.jpg

Nintendo First Look
The detachable controllers are called Joy-Con controllers.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

:arrow: Nintendo Site

MionissNio

Trophies
XP
That would also up the cost though...
Yeah definitely,

I think specs won't matter for portability function of the device tho it is as powerful as nowadays smartphone though, coupled with an OS specifically designed to run games it would not perform that badly. As for the console part it would be good for normal gamers, but most hardcore players prefer pc Nowadays of course (Like myself).

If it is less than 400 I'll buy in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Nightwish

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Hm... So let's nip this in the bud right now. Will this system's library be all digital? Forgive me if I missed it, but I don't see anywhere on this system to put in a cartridge or a disc. It looks to be backwards compatible with the Wii U, but where do we put our discs?

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's confirmed nVidia Tegra custom SoC. Probably on the lines of Tegra X2 but they explicitly said "custom" with news sites saying it should be quad core CPU and supports 4k resolution.

I want to know how many terraflops of power, how many cuda cores, is this Polaris, can it handle VR, and what's that screen resolution/screen type.

It would blow my mind if it was 1440p AMOLED. Looks about 7" to me but it's hard to say.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, they dont.

Yes, there is a huge difference!

Yeah, and it sucks.

Have you never opened a controller? All d-pads are just four buttons, no matter what shape the piece of plastic you press.

Anyone who has played Super Smash TV knows that 4 round buttons as a d-pad works just fine. C-buttons on N64 were often used the same way.

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
will it run android or some shitty OS?
If they did android with a custom app-store that could be a lot of money for Nintendo if they took the typical 30% of sales...

If would also mean a lot more developers for games (and apps...)

I wonder if Nintendo will also market this as a tablet of sorts instead of just a game console...

But then it would probably get hacked VERY quickly and that's the last thing they'd want...

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm... So let's nip this in the bud right now. Will this system's library be all digital? Forgive me if I missed it, but I don't see anywhere on this system to put in a cartridge or a disc. It looks to be backwards compatible with the Wii U, but where do we put our discs?
rewatch the trailer. someone slips in a cratride in the top. also check nintendo.com for an official picture of it

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It'll use cartridges. I imagine the backwards compatibility stuff shown is all digital, though.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any name is better than the Wii. They got that right. The home console controller looks fine, they got that right. The portable gimmick is painted out to be appealing, but I won't make use of it more than playing at home, so for gimmicks, they got that right. As far as specs and power, that remains to be seen, but the trailer was nice, and I'm definitely interested and intrigued by the console.

Reactions: Deleted User

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
rewatch the trailer. someone slips in a cratride in the top. also check nintendo.com for an official picture of it

It'll use cartridges. I imagine the backwards compatibility stuff shown is all digital, though.
Thanks guys, I must have missed it! Well that's good, but it still means that my physical games're out of the question unless they have some way to transfer them over (super doubtful).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @SylverReZ hello