Nintendo shuts down decade old fan game creation tool Pokemon Essentials

Pok__mon_Essentials_screenshot.png

If Pokemon Uranium was anything to go by, Nintendo hasn't had the best past in regards to fan games using its intellectual properties. In a jarring but not so surprising turn, the company has sent a takedown notice to a Pokemon fan game maker tool, Pokemon Essentials. This tool, an add-on script to RPG Maker, originally released in 2007, was particularly popular in the community of fan game creators, as it allowed users to easily create area maps thanks to its included graphical assets, which offered tilesets, music, sprites, and more. These very same included assets are reportedly why Nintendo issued the notice, as it has copyrighted graphical assets within the program. Nintendo went so far as to also delete Pokemon Essential's wiki, taking out the largest repository of guides and information on how to use the program. Maruno, the developer of Essentials was given a DMCA notice, issued from Nintendo's legal team, to which he obeyed, and took down all things regarding the tool. Essentials is no longer allowed to be distributed on many sites, though many know the dark recesses of the internet to be an immortal repository, especially when it comes to such cases like these.

:arrow: Source: Pokecommunity

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jesus christ, nintendo
what a fucking shitshow
i almost wish they'd just released the wii u2 instead of the switch so they can just die already
I want vengeance too, but wii u2?
That's awful...
I wouldn't wish that to my worse enemy :(

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Alright, in all honesty I'm fed up to the brink of Nintendo's bullshit. There's a difference between protecting your own IP like other companies do and abusing DMCA so much that you go against fanmade tech demos, small or unknown projects, 10 year old fangame kits and hackroms falling into fair use. Fuck 'em.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Alright, in all honesty I'm fed up to the brink of Nintendo's bullshit. There's a difference between protecting your own IP like other companies do and abusing DMCA so much that you go against fanmade tech demos, small or unknown projects, 10 year old fangame kits and hackroms falling into fair use. Fuck 'em.
I am quite sure ripping all assets from a game and using all those those isn't covered fair use. Or does fair use allow you to basicly copy a whole commercialy avaible book and spread it publicly on the net?

Last edited by ken28,
Reactions: AkikoKumagara

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in lieu of:
  • Making proper games
  • finishing proper gamers
  • supporting existing 3DS user base rather than leaving them high and dry like they've done with every handheld since the original DS
  • revising the Switch in a relevant fashion, like making one with a user replaceable battery
They would rather C&D and sue. Really makes it hard to justify buying Nintendo hardware with this attitude. And somehow not modding the crap out of it if I did, just to spite them.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am quite sure ripping all assets from a game and using all those those isn't covered fair use. Or does fair use allow you to basicly copy a whole commercialy avaible book and spread it publicly on the net?
You've misread my post. What I said is:
[...]that you go against fanmade tech demos, small or unknown projects, 10 year old fangame kits and hackroms falling into fair use.
Mind the "and". Considering that usually hackroms are distributed in patches containing only no copyrighted material except maybe a few mentions of Pokémon names and characters then yes, that would fall into fair use.

Also, I've noticed that you tend to defend Nintendo a lot in this thread. Did you know that as a preventive measure Nintendo requires a console to read an usually encrypted version of their logo from a cartidge for it to boot on their consoles? That would be considered borderline illegal in a few different countries because of trademark and digital rights laws (and yes, they're the only ones that use such a dickhead "legal protection" as other companies use provably more effective cryptographic stuff) yet a few unlicensed companies such as Datel managed to bypass it by including it into their product without permission and sell their stuff, and even go beyond that with the ARDSi when they included the entire ROM header of several whitelisted DS games to bypass the DSi's cart blacklist.

Considering that fair use doesn't really apply with trademarks and stuff, ask yourself: why does Nintendo threat to take legal action with individuals and non profit small teams with way better intentions while they do nothing with Datel and similiar companies? Because they know Datel could afford a serious legal team and fight back in court while your random fangame creator wouldn't. Long story short, Nintendo is nothing short of a giant corporate bully.

Think about this the next time you try to defend them ;)

EDIT: Oh and before anyone asks, Datel is not your random flashcart manufacturer. Their headquarters are in the UK. Again, if they aren't based in China, I wonder why they didn't try to take them down yet... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by RattletraPM,
Reactions: Eddypikachu

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You've misread my post. What I said is:

Mind the "and". Considering that usually hackroms are distributed in patches containing only no copyrighted material except maybe a few mentions of Pokémon names and characters then yes, that would fall into fair use.

Also, I've noticed that you tend to defend Nintendo a lot in this thread. Did you know that as a preventive measure Nintendo requires a console to read an usually encrypted version of their logo from a cartidge for it to boot on their consoles? That would be considered borderline illegal in a few different countries because of trademark and digital rights laws (and yes, they're the only ones that use such a dickhead "legal protection" as other companies use provably more effective cryptographic stuff) yet a few unlicensed companies such as Datel managed to bypass it by including it into their product without permission and sell their stuff, and even go beyond that with the ARDSi when they included the entire ROM header of several whitelisted DS games to bypass the DSi's cart blacklist.

Considering that fair use doesn't really apply with trademarks and stuff, ask yourself: why does Nintendo threat to take legal action with individuals and non profit small teams with way better intentions while they do nothing with Datel and similiar companies? Because they know Datel could afford a serious legal team and fight back in court while your random fangame creator wouldn't. Long story short, Nintendo is nothing short of a giant corporate bully.

Think about this the next time you try to defend them ;)
they did try to go against companys like dattel through back in the 90s they went against the maker of game genie but lost the case due game genie not infrining on any copyright or trademark of nintendo -> https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2013/01/15/the-strange-copyright-case-of-the-game-genie/.
I dont defend nintendo i dont deny that what they are doing is risking their relation with their fanbase. But let us face it no matter what you say, nintendo has all the rights to do so and once again its not only nintendo that do so (but that is something people like you like to ignore since it doesnt fit you agenda). It just that many nintendo fans are big cry babies and must announce it world wide if they get a dmca for using ripped assets or the use of trademarked names or chars in their game.
All who even do this should be prepared for it and most devs are.

It are also the devs that understand nintendo reason, its only the nintendo fans that cry like big babys once it happens and pretend nintendo has no right to do so... fair use bla bla bla.

Last edited by ken28,

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
they did try to go against companys like dattel through back in the 90s they went against the maker of game genie but lost the case due game genie not infrining on any copyright or trademark of nintendo -> https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2013/01/15/the-strange-copyright-case-of-the-game-genie/.
I dont defend nintendo i dont deny that what they are doing is risking their relation with their fanbase. But let us face it no matter what you say, nintendo has all the rights to do so and once again its not only nintendo that do so (but that is something people like you like to ignore since it doesnt fit you agenda). It just that many nintendo fans are big cry babies and must announce it world wide if they get a dmca for using ripped assets or the use of trademarked names or chars in their game.
All who even do this should be prepared for it and most devs are.

It are also the devs that understand nintendo reason, its only the nintendo fans that cry like big babys once it happens and pretend nintendo has no right to do so... fair use bla bla bla.
I already knew about Nintendo vs Game Genie and guess what, if you take a look at what they did then yup, everything's good and gravy, especially considering that very few licensed games at the time actually had a sane header, and the few that did only had very, VERY basic info about what's in the ROM and who made it. Hell, back then the maker code byte was set to 1 for Nintendo and 255 for everyone else! So no, GameGenie was not "forced" to walk into a legally grey area in order to make unlicensed carts like Datel does now because the console didn't require them to do so.

But wait, look at that... Nintendo requires to specify their license ID and sometimes a logo too now. And that's going on since right after the GameGenie vs Nintendo court case, of all things... Strange, right? It would also mean that Datel's case would indeed be different than GG's as they are required to use a different strategy to boot their carts and it would indeed mean that parts of copyrighted code or trademarked logos is inside their ROMs. But strangely enough, silence. Hmm...

So, moral of the story. If, as you say, "nintendo has all the rights to do so" then they should have all the rights to sue Datel into oblivion and set a new standard to establish the digital rights of a company. Afterall, not including shady flashcart makers, it's probably the single biggest copyright and trademark infringer of Nintendo in the west, and for profit of all things, so they'd be urged to do so no matter what, they're actually doing financial damage to the company! But nothing's ever happened.

Well, I've already put up an explaination of why's that, but apparently I'm a "nintendo fan that cry like [a] big baby" (I'm mainly a PC gamer and only occasionally play on consoles) and I "pretend that nintendo has no right to do so" (as I've shown you in Datel's case they have all the rights and stuff, but they'd rather do nothing and go after the small fish) and I'm shouting over something that "it doesn't fit my agenda" (what I just told you right now has nothing to do with my agenda and would actually benefit Nintendo's but again, they'd rather do nothing). It's a bit like the other companies doing this are actually trying to protect their IP sometimes, while Nintendo is just objectively acting like a corporate bully afterall...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: