Nintendo shuts down decade old fan game creation tool Pokemon Essentials

Pok__mon_Essentials_screenshot.png

If Pokemon Uranium was anything to go by, Nintendo hasn't had the best past in regards to fan games using its intellectual properties. In a jarring but not so surprising turn, the company has sent a takedown notice to a Pokemon fan game maker tool, Pokemon Essentials. This tool, an add-on script to RPG Maker, originally released in 2007, was particularly popular in the community of fan game creators, as it allowed users to easily create area maps thanks to its included graphical assets, which offered tilesets, music, sprites, and more. These very same included assets are reportedly why Nintendo issued the notice, as it has copyrighted graphical assets within the program. Nintendo went so far as to also delete Pokemon Essential's wiki, taking out the largest repository of guides and information on how to use the program. Maruno, the developer of Essentials was given a DMCA notice, issued from Nintendo's legal team, to which he obeyed, and took down all things regarding the tool. Essentials is no longer allowed to be distributed on many sites, though many know the dark recesses of the internet to be an immortal repository, especially when it comes to such cases like these.

:arrow: Source: Pokecommunity

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Copyright infringement is what it is. It's amazing it lasted this long, but it had no right to.

Stealing and redistributing assets is not very creative, though, lol. Creativity would implicate you make your own.
this is funniest thign right here.
Many of those who complain now also contone piracy which is fine and all but here the big joke... at the same time they seemingly are totally fine with using rippes assets... this makes them huge hypocrites.

Last edited by ken28,
Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reminds me of the non-Pokemon Pokemon game, Temtem.

Anyway, I can understand why people are mad, but some people are really exaggerating strongly.

And Tem Tem is having no problem at all..

Funny how that works, people that are doing their own work instead of copying others isn't getting takedown notices.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you dont need to look that far, many of those also contone piracy ;)

Yep.. They do.. And event then they have to go "But they -made- me pirate." instead of just putting on fucking big boy pants and going "Yep. I pirate."

They don't want to take responsibility.

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last edited by KHEOPS,

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yep.. They do.. And event then they have to go "But they -made- me pirate." instead of just putting on fucking big boy pants and going "Yep. I pirate."

They don't want to take responsibility.
not only that , but the fact that piracy which is in widere terms stealing of a game is a no go for them them but stealing assets from said game suddenly is all good?
that quite a hypocrite thig to do.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I doubt they are making it, but I would most likely buy a Pokemon Maker game.

Only if it was 2D style with sprite editor. ;D

Nah who am I kidding, I'd buy it to play around with it.

But I doubt they will, cause lets be honest, most of the made games would be horrible. ;)

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Only if it was 2D style with sprite editor. ;D

Nah who am I kidding, I'd buy it to play around with it.

But I doubt they will, cause lets be honest, most of the made games would be horrible. ;)
they dont even do a zelda one ... why would they do a pokemon one which is much more work xD

Reactions: Tigran

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell Freedom Planet and Curse of the Moon are proof that "fangames" can work just fine, if they actually do the work.

*I know curse of the moon isn't technically a fan game, but falls in the same scenario here.*

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
it just protects the upcoming output of rpg maker 4 switch
if pokemon assets are carried easily?
rpg maker4 switch

Coolsonickirby

Trophies
Website
coolsonickirby.com
XP
Country
United States
Or maybe fan games should do their -own- work and not steal other's?

Hell.. It's not that fucking hard.

Remember the Castlevania in unreal that was taken down?

If the guy had changed the sprites a bit and called Simon "bob" and Dracula "Steve." not a whole lot could be done. Instead it was "Look at my casltevania!"

Hell.. Look at Curse of the Moon. It's fucking Castlevania 3, but since it's literally their own game with no stolen assets, not a lot can be done.

Fan games are made as an appreciation to the original IP. Companies like Sega and Capcom respect that, but other Companies like Nintendo and Konami don't. The people who make fan games of any Nintendo game knowing full well it will be taken down do it because they love the game series they grew up with.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Fan games are made as an appreciation to the original IP. Companies like Sega and Capcom respect that, but other Companies like Nintendo and Konami don't. The people who make fan games of any Nintendo game knowing full well it will be taken down do it because they love the game series they grew up with.

SEGA and Capcom have both taken down numerous fan-games over the years. On top of that, this wasn't taken down because it can be used to make fan-games, but because it's distributing ripped assets from the games.

Reactions: DarthDub

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
also here a clarification from one of the devs/or someone close to them not sure:
"I mean, Fandom got a DMCA from Nintendo of America and has therefore taken down the wikia itself. They also sent a DMCA to Mediafire for the actual downloads themselves. That's pretty serious stuff."

It was mediafire and fandom (the wiki host) that got a dmca not the dev itself (yet)

Last edited by ken28,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and a buddy used to play that, is pretty fun. Graphics were pretty good also at that time, I think what 5-6 years ago. --Edit yea was 2018
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Surprised they never made a second one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It takes two was their newest different theme
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I didn't care for that one so much, but didn't play it much either.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just played little of "Still Wakes The Deep" , just came to gamepass today, its alright, kinda creepy. I'm not usually a horror game fan, but it looks really good graphic wise, esp w 4k. I admit it made me jump a few times.
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    Anyone here using the 3DS?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    do u have pretendo?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    whats ur code?
  • B @ btjunior:
    i dont have pretendo sorry
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    oh ok
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    well if ur console isnt modded i suggest u to mod it
  • B @ btjunior:
    also, just curius, does the freinds app still work after the shutdown?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    yes
  • B @ btjunior:
    nice
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    but u cant play online games anymore :(
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i miss going in other peoples town
  • B @ btjunior:
    yeah
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i have a friend named Pineapple (@pineappleJuice hi). we played a lot the day b4 the server shutdown
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I preten to know doe
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @LNLenost how well is the pretendo servers, you ever get kicked off games when playing online?
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    @BigOnYa not always you get kicked. it happens rarely to me.
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    ofc they're not great, but props to them for making this
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    btw, I decided to make the nintendo support team going insane
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but actually they disappeared because i opened the badge arcade w/ pretendo
    LNLenost @ LNLenost: i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but...