Hacking Nintendo seems somewhat smarter with FW updates this time

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I don't believe that firmware updates really do anything to prevent piracy/homebrew as evidenced by the Wii and DS (other then causing a flood of posts here how the sky is falling, until less then a week later there's an update to get around whatever it is.), Nintendo is at least being smart this time in making you want to update by adding a lot of new appealing features as updates. On say, the Wii on the other hand there hasn't been a reason to upgrade beyond 3.x unless you wanted the SD card menu. Now, we do have hacks on the Wii to install specific IOSes to still play new games without updating, but I think it still makes a good point.

Granted, Nintendo could just be being lazy since they could have included the shop, 3ds video recording, NetFlix, etc out of the box. But I think they purposely did it to make people want to update. It might not slow things down too much, but it's at least something.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, they are smart about it. And it is smart of them to encourage the use of Streetpass and Spotpass so people keep their Wi-Fi on.

With the 3DS, I actually don't want to pirate. I want to use all these features and not worry about getting bricked or losing my internet features because of a new update.

doodads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm one of those who is genuinely into homebrew and not so much pirating so it's a sticky situation. But they can try all the firmware stuff they want like Sony did with the psp, people will always find a way to get what they want. Best to focus on just making the product better all-around.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think this is just a nice coincidence for them. The real reason is simply that they're not finished with those features yet or they need more time to test them. Nintendo is really lagging behind on the software aspect of the 3DS, case in point: no good first party launch day titles.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
I think this is just a nice coincidence for them. The real reason is simply that they're not finished with those features yet or they need more time to test them. Nintendo is really lagging behind on the software aspect of the 3DS, case in point: no good first party launch day titles.
I agree that they just aren't done with a lot of stuff yet.
Although, I think the built in stuff will be fun and so will Pilotwings Resort.

princefarzan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeMoN said:

Pilot Wings Resort and Nintendogs & cats and I think SteelDiver are all launch titles but those aren't any good 1st party launch titles for the hardcore audience and also they want to probably wait to see what happens in the hacking community so that once they see all the exploits they can patch it alongside the features they plan to bring to the 3DS which I am going to assume will happen in a regular basis to prevent piracy.

doodads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I think there isn't any strong first party games for launch because they want third party games to sell so developers don't jump ship since 3rd party devs have a hard time selling on wii/ds.

Odnetnin46

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well,because the Japan 3DS has ALREADY BEEN HACKED BEFORE THE US VERSION CAME OUT LOLROTFLWTHWITHBBQSAUCE,I kinda hope that Nintendo blocks flashcarts in a future update.Sure,we lose homebrew,but it's better than a device going down the tubes just because a couple 10 MILLION OR SO PEOPLE decide to pirate games.Besides,we don't even have a 3DS mode flashcart out yet,so what's the point unless you want DS mode homebrew (Which you can easily just do with a regular DS) or just want to pirate?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
Just because the launch titles doesn't appeal to your liking, doesn't me they are no good and that Nintendo is lagging.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
princefarzan said:
DeMoN said:

Pilot Wings Resort and Nintendogs & cats and I think SteelDiver are all launch titles but those aren't any good 1st party launch titles for the hardcore audience and also they want to probably wait to see what happens in the hacking community so that once they see all the exploits they can patch it alongside the features they plan to bring to the 3DS which I am going to assume will happen in a regular basis to prevent piracy.
I believe the reason for the lack of first party titles is to give the 3rd parties a chance.....Nintendo's first party titles have a tendency to soak up all the sales....(only a game like pokemon could be so successful on a console thats going to be last gen 2 weeks after the game comes out for example)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odnetnin46 said:
Well,because the Japan 3DS has ALREADY BEEN HACKED BEFORE THE US VERSION CAME OUT LOLROTFLWTHWITHBBQSAUCE

The ds isn't/can not be as protected as the 3DS mode, therefor it was unavoidable.

QUOTE(Odnetnin46 @ Mar 3 2011, 11:09 PM) Besides,we don't even have a 3DS mode flashcart out yet,so what's the point unless you want DS mode homebrew (Which you can easily just do with a regular DS) or just want to pirate?

And isn't pointless because you can do DS mode homebrew and maybe they do not want to carry two systems to just play ds mode homebrew.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:

I believe Nintendo said themselves they want their bigger core games to come out after launch, so third parties can get a cut of the pie at launch. They're really trying to make their systems have games that sell other than their own...

The problem is even then, their launch games are still some of the few that don't look like horrible cash-ins.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
bigpaws said:
i only want homebrew
i dont want to pirate
i want my nes and my gba and my gameboy games all free

You just contradicted yourself there
tongue.gif

Personally I think that there is a good reason to update the 3DS. The DSi didn't bring anything noteworthy for those that updated (yeah the browsers and shishl, but the DSi browser is kinda slow). DSiWare is another thing, but that doesn't necessarily touch all DSi users, though it is appealing. Well we'll see what the May update may bring
smile.gif

-Qtis

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My definition of pirating:
the illigal downloading of software in any form that is currently being sold by the developer still

playing the original rom of crystal is ok because the devs dont sell it anymore
and its not the same on a vc
that doesnt matter anyway as i own crystal but not a device to play it on

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
They are just late, that's it. They want to polish their software.

If they offer enough nice features (Internet browser, email/RSS/Facebook/Youtube client, more consoles emulated in Virtual Console, video recording, maybe some organizer app), I might be fine without homebrew.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Qtis said:
You just contradicted yourself there
tongue.gif
She said "my nes" and "my gba", and "my gameboy", implying she'll only pirate the ones she owns, which is legal still someplaces.
Certainly since the nes patent ran out, that can't be viewed as illegal?

On Topic:
I don't see how you can say they're being smart about updates, they've only released one.
Promising us stuff in the future doesn't count as being "smart with updates". It's just promising us future updates.
What would be smart is adding a feature, while removing vulnerabilities in the same update.
None of this "behind the scenes fixes" bullpoopie. Which means fixing holes, and no new features what so ever ala Wii.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
I believe that's using the "abandonware" excuse.
QUOTE said:
Abandonware are discontinued products for which no product support is available, or whose copyright ownership may be unclear for various reasons. Abandonware may be computer software or physical devices which are usually computerised in some fashion, such as personal computer games, productivity applications, utility software, or mobile phones.
Definitions of "abandoned" vary; generally it refers to a product that is no longer available for legal purchase, over the age where the product creator feels an obligation to continue to support it, or where Operating Systems or hardware platforms have evolved to such a degree that the creator feels continued support cannot be financially justified. Software companies and manufacturers may change their names, go bankrupt, enter into mergers, or cease to exist for a variety of reasons. When this happens, product rights are usually transferred to another company that may elect not to sell or support products acquired.
In most cases, software classed as abandonware is not in the public domain, as it has never had its original copyright revoked and some company or individual still owns exclusive rights. Therefore, downloading such software is usually considered copyright infringement, though in practice copyright holders rarely enforce their abandonware copyrights.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

And my 2c, at this point I'd kinda view it a losing battle. All the time and money Nintendo puts into blocking pirating ends up wasted sometimes in a matter of moments after a game or system update is released. The 3DS itself is in a safe zone for them right now. I can see them pulling out crazy mass updates once someone starts making progress into that, but now that the DS family is last gen I think Nintendo is probably best just letting em go. There are only going to be a handful of new DS games once the 3DS is fully out, and after that nothing new to worry about.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
awssk8er said:
Yeah, they are smart about it. And it is smart of them to encourage the use of Streetpass and Spotpass so people keep their Wi-Fi on.
You actually have to initiate an update even with spotpass on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not Ai women but women who's bodies are walking Atm machines
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like scam bait
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    so they collect ''donations''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well gofundme doesn't accept vagina they just do that off the site
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    guess they just sell spicy fling material
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wonder what kinda desperate depraved beings even need to go there
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme or onlyfans?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny to see people start a gofundme for silly shit like a new game system, and then see them get free money, then think, not so funny after all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme for the homeless
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My dog used to chase off my neighbors cat from our yard, till one day the cat stood its ground, and paw slapped the shit out of my dog, now the cat wonders thru my yard, and my dog don't even care anymore, he's like f that cat. Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So just slap your dog when I'm climbing out urewifes window
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just use the front door, dumbass
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, what if you see him?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then slap your dog?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He can tag me in...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah last time I just looked at bigonya and said the heavy works already done
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    That's @slaphappygamer 's job to slap
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh hi nick
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I think he's from Ohio
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ohhioh Nick
    +2