Nintendo says that it has no plans for a new Switch model in 2020

Nintendo_Switch_Logo.png

Following last year's release of the Nintendo Switch Lite, there were rumors that the Big N was planning another, beefier version of its console-handheld hybrid, a so-called Nintendo Switch Pro, in 2020. This was also seen as a plausible way for the company to counter the PS5 and Xbox Series X, which are also planned for a 2020 release. Nintendo however squashed those rumors in its 'Nine Months Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2020'.

Shuntaro Furukawa, President of Nintendo, wrote the following in this briefing:

Regarding Nintendo Switch, we believe that it is important to continue to communicate the appeal of both Nintendo Switch systems and expand the installed base. Please note that we have no plans to launch a new Nintendo Switch model during 2020.

While we might not see a new version of the Switch this year, special editions like the recently-announced Animal Crossing model will still be released. Do you still think that we'll get to see this rumored "Pro" version beyond 2020?

:arrow: SOURCE

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
problem is there statement was too specific "won't release a new switch model in 2020". But it didn't say anything about an announcement of a new switch model

so announce in 2020 and releasee early 2021 maybe Feb :-D

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Looking back, it seems like 4 years is around the time they launch the ‘enhanced’ models.

So 2021 would be a more likely year to launch a ‘New Swich’.

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I doubt this is the usual: "We pretend it's not going to happen but it will happen." because that would mean that investors were lied to and that's not something they can do.

That's fine with me though, gives me resources to focus on new PC parts this year and hopefully a good PS4 Pro to PS5 trade-in. Then whatever Nintendo has cooking up for 2021.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
New Switch XL confirmed, then.
We won't see a new Switch until 2021. Makes sense, considering there's the Lite already, a new version would just intrude in the ecosystem.

rhino242

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tonga
Nintendo is okay where its is and always did okay with both consoles and portatil ( except wii u ). Nintendo innovates and competitors copy them.. so just keep doing that nintendo.

They have to innovate. Because they really can't compete with Sony and MS in terms of hardware horsepower, so they need to propose something else. They always try to make their hardware as cheap and low spec as possible. Well, maybe except the early days in their console history. And honestly, it irritates me. I'm sure if it was Sony that released the Switch back then, it would have 1080p, better screen, better CPU, even more RAM and storage space. And the price would be the same or lower.

Reactions: ganons

PoiRan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I thing they should think about games, fuck even ports lots of great games still waiting to port from GameCube.

I agree. Especially Zelda Ocarina of time, Majora's mask and Skyward sword. These are all playable on the Wii U, as well as twilight Princess hd and Wind waker hd. And they sold quite ok.
Considering how well emulated and enhanced Dolphin versions look on a pc, its a pity there are no updated versions for the Switch.

Many new players, such as my children, need a chance to play these old games again. We have a wii u, but most switch players don't.

Other games that should be ported are super Mario sunshine, luigis mansion, super Mario galaxy 1-2, these only need slightly updated graphics.

I dont see ports as a problem as long as new games arrive too.

Reactions: wiewiec

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm down for a Switch Pro early next year as long as they go with the best CPU at that time instead of something old.

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New console lol nintendo are gonna keep the switch going least for another 2 years
The switch is nothing more than a 3ds replacement. It's just a matter of time before the original switch concept is obsolete. Nintendo will stop making Switches with video output. They will release another revision, and the games will not be backwards compatible. Same thing they did with the DS, 2DS, 3DS etc. They will be introducing a dedicated non portable console within the next 2 years.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm totally fine without a revision. I love the Switch as is. They should start making systems that can take modular upgrades instead of making all new hardware. Too bad money is a thing.
Cause that worked out for the Sega Genesis, right?

IPLbug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have to innovate. Because they really can't compete with Sony and MS in terms of hardware horsepower, so they need to propose something else. They always try to make their hardware as cheap and low spec as possible. Well, maybe except the early days in their console history. And honestly, it irritates me. I'm sure if it was Sony that released the Switch back then, it would have 1080p, better screen, better CPU, even more RAM and storage space. And the price would be the same or lower.

SOny has flopped 3 times in the portable console echo system and doesnt wanna go near it ever again the vita was there last try at it and it failed horribly and it wasnt even close to switch specs it was really weak so your argument is stupid to think sony would do it better when it proven to not be the case. Nintendo will always rule the portable console market and sony learned that the hard way

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ofc they'd say that...

Don't wanna ruin the surprise ;)

Correction:

Of course they'd day that...

Don't wanna ruin the sales of millions of old Switch models still on the shelves, that would never get sold if they announced a new, better and more powerful Switch any sooner than necessary.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SOny has flopped 3 times in the portable console echo system and doesnt wanna go near it ever again the vita was there last try at it and it failed horribly and it wasnt even close to switch specs it was really weak so your argument is stupid to think sony would do it better when it proven to not be the case. Nintendo will always rule the portable console market and sony learned that the hard way
Are you crazy lol the vita was released in 2012 and was powerful in tht time-and Sony don't need to do portable as they aim for better and bigger things

IPLbug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you crazy lol the vita was released in 2012 and was powerful in tht time-and Sony don't need to do portable as they aim for better and bigger things
they flopped on portable machines the psp phat hacked withing one week , slim version soon followed after release and the pspvita was a utter disaster and that not mentioning the worse of the 4 portables the purely digital psp go that died withing 8 months of release. Sony just competes with ms and not even that cause hardware wise next gen consoles specs has the xbox far out performing the next gen playstation any computer loving builder can tell you as much just from the hardware in both consoles.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
they flopped on portable machines the psp phat hacked withing one week , slim version soon followed after release and the pspvita was a utter disaster and that not mentioning the worse of the 4 portables the purely digital psp go that died withing 8 months of release. Sony just competes with ms and not even that cause hardware wise next gen consoles specs has the xbox far out performing the next gen playstation any computer loving builder can tell you as much just from the hardware in both consoles.
Yes you are crazy lol - noone knows the specs yet and xbox one x has slightly better spec than the pro but couldn't keep up with it- and I'll bet you 50 bucks if we had a poll now what's on top of Yr Christmas list ps5 would slaughter whatever the official name is of the next xbox!

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt this is the usual: "We pretend it's not going to happen but it will happen." because that would mean that investors were lied to and that's not something they can do.

They didn't say it's not going to happen, they have said "they have no plans".

Thinking of doing something and planning to do something are too different things.

They may decided to start planning tomorrow, but they still have no plans.

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They didn't say it's not going to happen, they have said "they have no plans".

Thinking of doing something and planning to do something are too different things.

They may decided to start planning tomorrow, but they still have no plans.

Yeah I get that sure but I would still rule out a new model in 2020. Investors want to be informed of such plans a reasonable time in advance.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I get that sure but I would still rule out a new model in 2020. Investors want to be informed of such plans a reasonable time in advance.

I'm sure investors want to know lots of things. I wonder if being told first about a new model ahead of the public would put them in breach of insider trading laws.

Nintendo aren't going to tell the public this far in advance because it would kill sales now (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect).

I have no idea whether a new model is coming in 2020 or not, but none of the information that we have gives any real indication.
Until you can buy it then it may as well not exist.

Reactions: banjo2 and SkyDX

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly that's one of the things i hate about nintendo. They have enough money to make a 4k capable system. They have enough money to have constant 60fps. they have enough money to just make something powerful. but they don't. You don't have to compromise on graphics to have good games. PS4 is an amazing example of that.Nintendo fans need to stop believing that graphics don't matter, because they really do. As it stands, Sony is the new nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: as to you