Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (Eurogamer)

nintendo-logo-620x349.png

Eurogamer are reporting that Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers:

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.
Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.
A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers-146954365832.png

:arrow:Read the full article with a lot more info here: Source

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U wasn't even a hybrid, like, wtf.

By this point, it ought to be clear that if you want to play the same CoD game withzomgrealistic graphics, Nintendo isn't for you. They first and foremost value fun and innovation, which is indeed the way to go for the entertainment industry
Um, it's literally trying to ape the 2/3/DS/lite/i/XL/&Knucklesk with a TV as one of the screens, while then offering for at least some games to be played entirely off a glorified tablet controller. What part of that doesn't tell you it's a hybrid?

For Nintendo to compete, it has to actually get games going to it. It doesn't have to be the best versions of said games. It simply has to be in the same generation in terms of capability.

Third parties basically abandoned the WiiU within a year because their competitors' hardware allowed them to make better games, and the WiiU couldn't keep up.

It's similar to all the research toward alternative and rewewable energies. Nobody takes hybrids seriously because the poster boy is the Prius. People only now are taking electric vehicles seriously, because of Tesla and the "insane mode" on those vehicles allowing it to beat well above its rated horsepower level, while being absolutely silent. But nobody is taking things the likes of the G-Wiz or the Smart fortwo seriously, at least here.

Reactions: romeoondaline

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
No, having a tablet controller doesn't make it a hybrid, it merely has a controller you can be used through the touchscreen, buttons, motion controls and can output data, nothing more. It's just another form of controller.

It is, for all intents and purposes a full home console.

And for your information, the Wii U flopped due to how sparse it's releases were, it does not need many third-parties to succeed. It failed thanks to how it's strongest first-party titles took so damn long to release and how badly it was marketed.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And for your information, the Wii U flopped due to how sparse it's releases were, it does not need many third-parties to succeed. It failed thanks to how it's strongest first-party titles took so damn long to release and how badly it was marketed.
Not to mention shitty marketing

Edit: Look at this loser who can't read

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

Roxe__

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Please stop. You're still looking at this as a home console and not a handheld. Forget that. Think of this as the next 3ds and look at it from that perspective. It blows every other dedicated handheld gaming device out of the water.

As for my actual reply, consider this. I have a laptop that was manufactured in 2015 that doesn't even support 1080. What is available has no bearing on what people use. The average person doesn't have a 4k tv/4k computer, so why is Nintendo going to go into that already? Just as another example(and I know this isn't a very common issue anymore, but still a viable argument as it happened to me) my TV is an old crt that while it does support 1080i, will have no way of doing anything better than that. 2k/4k graphics weren't even a wet dream when this thing came out, and guess what: xenoblade will still look great on it even after we have 8k resolutions.

On devs porting games: ok so why would any device expect to port a home console game to a handheld without considerable downgrades? And why would you a user expect them to be able to do that? That's just crazy on the face of it.

Edit: just a heads up I'm not trying to attack you or anything. Just a friendly disagreement =)

You have my word that I'm not taking this as an attack, just a healthy debate =).

What?? Stop what? Did you actually fully and thoroughly read my initial post or are you selectively reading it? I'll go ahead and quote it below so you can look at it.
Because the first thing I said in it was that I've accepted this rumor. Meaning that I was fully looking at this console as the next handheld for Nintendo when I wrote my post, I even wrote a section about how Nintendo would be gimping itself by doing this (unless they expect consumers to buy 2 handhelds). But how can you state that it blows every handheld gaming device out of the water, when you don't even know its specifications now or what is going to be released in the future that could compete with the NX? There is also something you're not taking into account, and that's the fact that there were phones/tablets that were stronger/better graphics than the 3DS at release, but regardless, we all went and bought one anyways just to play some of Nintendo games like Mario Kart7 or Pokemon X/Y. It's like me walking into an electronics store and asking to buy a phone that's 2 years old just so I could play a couple of games that carry a certain logo on it, so essentially, I'd be paying full price for 2 year old hardware with the ability to be able to play games with that have the same trademark. Honestly, if we combined all the money that we're causally throwing at Nintendo and gave it to game devs to port games or create emulators for phones/tablets, I promise you that Nintendo would go full software in a heartbeat (if there was no law that Nintendo could sue).

Going back to the NX, as we all know Nintendo is famous for their gimmicks right? I just don't see how this gimmick is going to be "amazing". Let's say I buy this system, there's absolutely no time for me to play more than 30 minutes throughout my day with all the gaps/breaks between my classes. Let's say I'm riding the school/public bus, i wouldn't take it out personally, but whatever there's another 30 minutes. Let's say I work as a surveillance security guard and i take this to work with me (super bad idea), i'd just be playing this instead of doing my job. The only positives it seems to have is when someone is going to an appointment of some sort, or going out to play with their friends (but wait...what was the internet for?). I'm honestly not trying to be negative about it, but realistically speaking this isn't that great of an idea considering how big the console is going to be verses the amount of time one will have to play this outside or throughout their day. Let's say I strictly use it in my house, I'd just go from the TV to the bed, but wait wouldn't that make the NX a WiiUpgrade?

As for your laptop, it actually does support 1080, the problem is that your screen does not. So if you were to hook up your laptop through a separate TV/monitor with the display set on 'Projection Only', it would output 1080p. Maybe this article will help clear any misunderstandings, but the TLDR; is that if your laptop price was under $600ish, then the manufacturer most likely had to compromise with the screen. This is exactly what Nintendo seems like it's going to do, lol does everyone remember that one quote "Nintendo NX won’t sell at a loss."

951ebcd6f6.jpg

As for your Xenoblade and your 'considerable downgrades' comment, at what point is it even "considerable". To me a game developer is like and artist painting a picture, but you cannot sell me the same downscaled/downgraded picture for the same price, nevermind you that they pay game devs to downgrade original games just so old console/lower resolutions can display them.

What the Philips screwdrivers!
I'm currently accepting this rumor due to the other rumors that compliments this one. But seriously WTF, why are people shouting things like "the most powerful handheld"?? Are we all just ignoring the 900p resolution rumor??? My phone right now does 2k, there are tablets coming out with true 4k and here we have a handheld hybrid with 900p....oohkaayyy right! And even if this does full 1080p with 60 fps on the tv, why would i buy it, i have the WiiU right here. Does 4k just not exists in Nintendo's world yet?

nm2nbyj.png
Also I heard/read rumors that Nvidia made them a deal for a Tegra chip, if this happened, how old is that deal, and is it for the X1 or the X2, because there's something wrong if an X2 chip is only outputting 900p on a small screen! Which brings us to the screen size topic, this screen should be AT LEAST the size of 10.1 inch ipad to make games/netflix/whatever projects they have upcoming enjoyable and appealing to all the 'casual' players (so here's hoping for a big screen).

The last topic I wanted to touch is about their current handheld system and what's going to happen to it. If this rumor is true about the NX, doesn't this mean they're going to take out their own handheld systems and replace it with this?? Because I sure as hell hope Nintendo doesn't expect the people or myself to buy another handheld device JUST to play games like pokemon....LOL FUNNY JOKES NINTENDO

I just don't understand why Nintendo is fighting the Mobile Market. EVERYONE has one, just make these games for mobile and come out with special controller/adapter pertaining to that game. I'm sure the people would buy them, not to mention, they could make money out the ass with the micro-transactions!

Anyways I've come to acceptance of this NX happening, but when this thing does come out, i'll be over here waiting with my WiiU until they released the 'NX PRO', and even then...that's a maybe. Shit Nintendo! It's like watching an awkward kid try to make money.

Reactions: romeoondaline

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...They could be trolling us all here as far as we know... we've heard you dock it for console type gameplay - maybe the real power is in that docking station, and the handheld device streams ala Vita, or more fittingly, Shield (from PC), with the x1 being powerful enough to handle the data transfer, encoding etc!
Then again, how fukkin much would a setup like that cost us ehh.....*lets himself out*

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If this thing is really a hybrid it will either be kinda underpowered, have a different chip for when plugged in as a console, or plug into a base that has a bigger heatsink and ups the chips clocks and number of cores available.

But iI just don't know.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
so they are making a NinVidia Shield :sleep:
Yeah but hopefully it's better than the portable one. Shield TV is solid but the portable is pretty big while having a small screen. There are better tablets out there than the tablet version, too.

Last edited by Xzi,

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So lets say that NX is a handheld and less powerful than the wii u.

NES > GB
N64 > GBA
GC > NDS
Wii > 3ds

Handhelds have always been less powerful than their home predecessors, but they have had lot of success. Now lets say that NX uses Tegra X2, that is more powerful than the wii u. Add some interesting features and third party developers will like it.

D

Deleted User

Omg youre not connecting to your home wifi youll connect to office wifi and your console would act as a server

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Pretty much why the NX wont get third party support, cant run next gen games and cant even emulate a wii u. Basically a pathetic excuse for a console. Why would third parties like a console weaker than the ones before.

And the fact that eurogamer cant even tell us who their sources are further proves the point that its probably emily rogers their getting their info from just like their mother 3 report a while ago. Edit: i should add im 90% sure tegra is a different architecture to X86 meaning more work in terms of porting down. Might as well call it the wii u 2.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

BUT, this is meant to be a home console.

Mosta my time I spend moving from place to place so no good net signal for me... and I o agree that it wont happen. Like either eurogamers stoupid or nintendo is stupid. Or the news are fake...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If this thing is really a hybrid it will either be kinda underpowered, have a different chip for when plugged in as a console, or plug into a base that has a bigger heatsink and ups the chips clocks and number of cores available.

But iI just don't know.
eGPU is a plausible solution with Thunderbolt 3.0 around, but there's still the problem of gaming on the go.

romeoondaline

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
#100% Truth on these comments! Why would I buy this, or better yet when would I have the time to play this on the go?

Um, it's literally trying to ape the 2/3/DS/lite/i/XL/&Knucklesk with a TV as one of the screens, while then offering for at least some games to be played entirely off a glorified tablet controller. What part of that doesn't tell you it's a hybrid?

For Nintendo to compete, it has to actually get games going to it. It doesn't have to be the best versions of said games. It simply has to be in the same generation in terms of capability.

Third parties basically abandoned the WiiU within a year because their competitors' hardware allowed them to make better games, and the WiiU couldn't keep up.

It's similar to all the research toward alternative and rewewable energies. Nobody takes hybrids seriously because the poster boy is the Prius. People only now are taking electric vehicles seriously, because of Tesla and the "insane mode" on those vehicles allowing it to beat well above its rated horsepower level, while being absolutely silent. But nobody is taking things the likes of the G-Wiz or the Smart fortwo seriously, at least here.
You have my word that I'm not taking this as an attack, just a healthy debate =).

What?? Stop what? Did you actually fully and thoroughly read my initial post or are you selectively reading it? I'll go ahead and quote it below so you can look at it.
Because the first thing I said in it was that I've accepted this rumor. Meaning that I was fully looking at this console as the next handheld for Nintendo when I wrote my post, I even wrote a section about how Nintendo would be gimping itself by doing this (unless they expect consumers to buy 2 handhelds). But how can you state that it blows every handheld gaming device out of the water, when you don't even know its specifications now or what is going to be released in the future that could compete with the NX? There is also something you're not taking into account, and that's the fact that there were phones/tablets that were stronger/better graphics than the 3DS at release, but regardless, we all went and bought one anyways just to play some of Nintendo games like Mario Kart7 or Pokemon X/Y. It's like me walking into an electronics store and asking to buy a phone that's 2 years old just so I could play a couple of games that carry a certain logo on it, so essentially, I'd be paying full price for 2 year old hardware with the ability to be able to play games with that have the same trademark. Honestly, if we combined all the money that we're causally throwing at Nintendo and gave it to game devs to port games or create emulators for phones/tablets, I promise you that Nintendo would go full software in a heartbeat (if there was no law that Nintendo could sue).

Going back to the NX, as we all know Nintendo is famous for their gimmicks right? I just don't see how this gimmick is going to be "amazing". Let's say I buy this system, there's absolutely no time for me to play more than 30 minutes throughout my day with all the gaps/breaks between my classes. Let's say I'm riding the school/public bus, i wouldn't take it out personally, but whatever there's another 30 minutes. Let's say I work as a surveillance security guard and i take this to work with me (super bad idea), i'd just be playing this instead of doing my job. The only positives it seems to have is when someone is going to an appointment of some sort, or going out to play with their friends (but wait...what was the internet for?). I'm honestly not trying to be negative about it, but realistically speaking this isn't that great of an idea considering how big the console is going to be verses the amount of time one will have to play this outside or throughout their day. Let's say I strictly use it in my house, I'd just go from the TV to the bed, but wait wouldn't that make the NX a WiiUpgrade?

As for your laptop, it actually does support 1080, the problem is that your screen does not. So if you were to hook up your laptop through a separate TV/monitor with the display set on 'Projection Only', it would output 1080p. Maybe this article will help clear any misunderstandings, but the TLDR; is that if your laptop price was under $600ish, then the manufacturer most likely had to compromise with the screen. This is exactly what Nintendo seems like it's going to do, lol does everyone remember that one quote "Nintendo NX won’t sell at a loss."

951ebcd6f6.jpg

As for your Xenoblade and your 'considerable downgrades' comment, at what point is it even "considerable". To me a game developer is like and artist painting a picture, but you cannot sell me the same downscaled/downgraded picture for the same price, nevermind you that they pay game devs to downgrade original games just so old console/lower resolutions can display them.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So lets say that NX is a handheld and less powerful than the wii u.

NES > GB
N64 > GBA
GC > NDS
Wii > 3ds

Handhelds have always been less powerful than their home predecessors, but they have had lot of success. Now lets say that NX uses Tegra X2, that is more powerful than the wii u. Add some interesting features and third party developers will like it.
X1 is already more powerful than the Wii U chips.

X1 for NX is 0.512 Tflops > Wii U 0.176 Tflops

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro