Suggestion Nintendo DSi section?

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
With the recent release of TWLTool to downgrade and be able to hack any DSi that exists right as of now, as well as being able to run DSiWare on hacked 3DS consoles, it'd be nice to have a place for all the DSi-related development on the site, whether it's homebrew or tools for DSiWare (Such as tools for editing various games). Could this be a possibility in the near future, perhaps even just a single subforum of the Nintendo DS section?

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
There really is no point in this.
The mods have spoken. Pestering them will just make them not make a section.

So instead of posting here, go prove that there is enough of an audience to merit a DSi section.
Okay so I apparently lied when I said I'd start working on some DSi stuff - Canada Post fucking lost my DSi when @Gadorach mailed it back (I have a tracking number that still says In Transit for roughly three weeks), and neither of us have heard anything from them which is pissing us both off (And the fact that it's a long weekend so we won't hear anything until Tuesday isn't the best feeling ever either), but once I do get it back whenever that happens I'll make up on my word.

Anyway, has any other staff looked into the feasibility of this? Is this under any form of consideration?

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay so I apparently lied when I said I'd start working on some DSi stuff - Canada Post fucking lost my DSi when @Gadorach mailed it back (I have a tracking number that still says In Transit for roughly three weeks), and neither of us have heard anything from them which is pissing us both off (And the fact that it's a long weekend so we won't hear anything until Tuesday isn't the best feeling ever either), but once I do get it back whenever that happens I'll make up on my word.

Anyway, has any other staff looked into the feasibility of this? Is this under any form of consideration?
I'd like your post, but it seriously pisses me off too. @Wolfgange 's DSi bounced back and was redelivered to my doorstep for no bloody reason as well. I paid for xpresspost on @Team Fail 's console, and when I went down on Friday to check what was going on with TF's package, they had no idea, and just told me I'd have to wait until the trace went through. They need to get their act together FFS. That's about $35.00 I can't get back until they finish the trace and look into the bounce on WG's package.

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
I'd like your post, but it seriously pisses me off too. @Wolfgange 's DSi bounced back and was redelivered to my doorstep for no bloody reason as well. I paid for xpresspost on @Team Fail 's console, and when I went down on Friday to check what was going on with TF's package, they had no idea, and just told me I'd have to wait until the trace went through. They need to get their act together FFS. That's about $35.00 I can't get back until they finish the trace and look into the bounce on WG's package.
Well, if you don't hear anything on Tuesday, shoot me a message and I'll phone Canada Post again and I'll (possibly) give them a piece of my mind.

Reactions: Margen67

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, if you don't hear anything on Tuesday, shoot me a message and I'll phone Canada Post again and I'll (possibly) give them a piece of my mind.
I'll be going down again on Tuesday after my classes get out and ragging on them. Anyway, we're getting off topic.

I'd like a DSi-specific section too, so we can properly split the stuff for it from the original DS. I even have a friend who just came back to my hometown after being away from here for about 3 years. He has a masters in CS, and I'm going to try to drag him into this, ha ha.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

Oh sorry about that :(
I've also sent my dsi to gadorach and everything was done all right. This is such an annoyance! Fuck canada post :(

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is there still nothing on this? Kinda disappointed in the responses here...
It doesn't matter what comes out of this thread, it matters what the major sense wants and shows. The current scene has showed next to no interest in DSi hacking, even when DSi hacking was new and interesting, no one cared about. There's no point making an entire section for something not enough people are interested in.

nocash123

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
There's no point making an entire section for something not enough people are interested in.
The DSi is some kind of next-next-next-hyper-next-generation hardware. It's far too complex for the current generation of homebrew devr's, and as long as there's no DSi website/section, there won't be any progress.

The amusing aspect is that there are a lot of people claiming that they are interested in the 3DS, and, at the same time, saying that they don't want to know anything about the DSi... apparently not realizing that nobody will ever understand the 3DS hardware without first understanding the DSi hardware.

The 3dbrew people are even have this funny statement on their http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/3dbrew:Community_portal page:
"A forum will be created when it becomes necessary, for e.g. actual discussion about homebrew development. Currently homebrew is not possible, so a forum is not needed yet. --Neimod 01:05, 29 February 2012 (CET)"
Which sounds as if they are waiting until somebody else is reverse engineering the 3DS (and DSi) consoles on their behalf.

But, I just noticed that somebody has created an actual 3DS dev forum a few weeks ago: http://4dsdev.org/ and it's even including a section dedicated to reverse-engineering! That looks very interesting - I really wonder what things might happen in future!
The name "4ds" does also sound promising. It could be read as an improvement over the current 3DS scene, or read as intended FOR supplying the current (3)DS scene with tech details that they were never interested in. And, as it isn't explicitely called "3DS", there might be even some chance to get a DSi section in there.

PS. alternately, I've asked at http://forum.gbadev.org/ a while ago, and it seems that it would be possible to create DSi and 3DS sections on that site, additionally to the existing GBA and NDS sections. That would be also nice because a homebrew-dev-forum would be generally better than a homebrew-consumer-forum like gbatemp. But in case of creating a 3DS development forum, it looks as if http://4dsdev.org/ has won the race.

Last edited by nocash123,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The DSi is some kind of next-next-next-hyper-next-generation hardware. It's far too complex for the current generation of homebrew devr's, and as long as there's no DSi website/section, there won't be any progress.

The amusing aspect is that there are a lot of people claiming that they are interested in the 3DS, and, at the same time, saying that they don't want to know anything about the DSi... apparently not realizing that nobody will ever understand the 3DS hardware without first understanding the DSi hardware.

The 3dbrew people are even have this funny statement on their http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/3dbrew:Community_portal page:
"A forum will be created when it becomes necessary, for e.g. actual discussion about homebrew development. Currently homebrew is not possible, so a forum is not needed yet. --Neimod 01:05, 29 February 2012 (CET)"
Which sounds as if they are waiting until somebody else is reverse engineering the 3DS (and DSi) consoles on their behalf.

But, I just noticed that somebody has created an actual 3DS dev forum a few weeks ago: http://4dsdev.org/ and it's even including a section dedicated to reverse-engineering! That looks very interesting - I really wonder what things might happen in future!
The name "4ds" does also sound promising. It could be read as an improvement over the current 3DS scene, or read as intended FOR supplying the current (3)DS scene with tech details that they were never interested in. And, as it isn't explicitely called "3DS", there might be even some chance to get a DSi section in there.

PS. alternately, I've asked at http://forum.gbadev.org/ a while ago, and it seems that it would be possible to create DSi and 3DS sections on that site, additionally to the existing GBA and NDS sections. That would be also nice because a homebrew-dev-forum would be generally better than a homebrew-consumer-forum like gbatemp. But in case of creating a 3DS development forum, it looks as if http://4dsdev.org/ has won the race.
First, the DSi was hacked and some homebrew was made. But even at what was suppose to be it's peak, no one was very interested. Most DSi homebrews were tagged on features to DS homebrews and often overshadowed by the much more popular DSTwo version of the same homebrew. DSi homebrew quickly became a novelty shorty after it started and quickly faded off after the 3DS was released and everyone shifted focus on the 3DS.

"nobody will ever understand the 3DS hardware without first understanding the DSi hardware." That's not how it works, that would be like comparing PS3 hardware to the PS2 Hardware. Not to mention if the vibrant 3DS scene is showing anything, it's showing that have pretty understanding of the 3DS and it's hardware. I don't think knowledge of the DSi will really do anything for 3DS homebrew scene.

3dbrew didn't see the need to create a forum when there wasn't any real progress, then progress happened and made a forum. Yes, that's how it works, which is why we haven't made a DSi forum, because even when it should have been big, it wasn't. Not mention 3dbrew is more a wiki, so of course they didn't want to make a forum when 3DS hacking wasn't big, it would have been cluttered with speculations and spam.

gbadev looks pretty dead actually and it appears they aren't taking anyone's advice. GBATemp on the other hand attempts to follow the scene and make forums accordingly. We didn't have a big 3DS hacking section until it became popular enough to make one. Sections are created when there is a greater demand for them and it would benefit the community as a whole. DSi was a novelty and having a section dedicated, might clear up some cluster, but won't really go very far, just like attempts to popular DSi hacking the past.

It seems like everyone has this idea that if we make a dedicated section, that it suddenly make DSi hacking popular. What would making an entire section dedicated towards DSi hacking accomplish that sudokuhax and iEvolution didn't? The DSi was hacked and even then, no one cared. There came a handful of homebrews, then the CycloDS team dropped support for their card and sudokuhax was made a quick novelty to those who had it. You would think with so little progress a more active team like the Supercard Team or even the R4i Gold team, would pick up where CycloDS left off. Or maybe another exploit would be found once the other was taken off the market. Nope, no one cared enough to pick up where the others left off and all of this happened before the 3DS was released. It didn't even take the 3DS being released, then hacked for people to lose interest in the DSi. Making an entire section for it would be a waste of time and effort for a scene that no one was interested in even at it's peak.

Last edited by The Catboy,

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
The current scene has showed next to no interest in DSi hacking, even when DSi hacking was new and interesting, no one cared about.
That's because the exploits at the time were only usable by a small subsection of DSi owners - once Nintendo pulled the software needed, and patched them, and added a system update for enhanced software checks, the system was essentially unbreakable until after the 3DS came out. It's because so few people could do anything with the DSi that there was so little interest.

Even now, while this may sounds like it's against my own point, the reason it's still not so popular is because this requires a hardware modification - no software, which means it's not cheap. However, with a section to discuss the DSi, and perhaps discuss reverse-engineering aspects of the DSi, there could be a software solution for enabling homebrew on the latest DSi firmware in the near future, especially with @nocash123's contributions and those additions to GBATEK.

Last edited by loco365,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's because the exploits at the time were only usable by a small subsection of DSi owners - once Nintendo pulled the software needed, and patched them, and added a system update for enhanced software checks, the system was essentially unbreakable until after the 3DS came out. It's because so few people could do anything with the DSi that there was so little interest.

Even now, while this may sounds like it's against my own point, the reason it's still not so popular is because this requires a hardware modification - no software, which means it's not cheap. However, with a section to discuss the DSi, and perhaps discuss reverse-engineering aspects of the DSi, there could be a software solution for enabling homebrew on the latest DSi firmware in the near future, especially with @nocash123's contributions.
At this point it's far too late, I think more people would have been interested when interest was actually quite high. There was at one point very high interest in hacking the DSi. It quickly died off after the DSi was actually hacked. Again, you would think if someone was still interested, they would find something. Like the 3DS, people who didn't update would still have an exploitable firmware, meaning there was still a chance for a new exploit to be found. Yet no one showed any interest.
You know what would make a section worth making? If people showed interested, making a thread say in the DS section about reverse-engineering the DSi firmware and it actually becoming popular and stable, would more than likely spark interest in making a dedicated forum. The community needs to show actual interest beyond just one thread and one poll.
Edit: I am not against the idea of a DSi section, I am against the idea of making a section without interest shown in it first. It would a gamble to make a section and have it lay completely dead because no one was interested in it. There needs to be an effort in the community first to show interest in a section before just jumping into it.

Last edited by The Catboy,

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
You know what would make a section worth making? If people showed interested, making a thread say in the DS section about reverse-engineering the DSi firmware and it actually becoming popular and stable, would more than likely spark interest in making a dedicated forum. The community needs to show actual interest beyond just one thread and one poll.

There's been a few threads on it, actually:

1. TWLTool: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-twltool-dsi-downgrading-save-injection-etc-multitool.393488/
2. DSi RE - SD/MMC/SDIO: http://gbatemp.net/threads/dsi-reverse-engineering-sd-mmc-sdio-registers.395787/
3. Banner.sav: http://gbatemp.net/threads/dsi-what-is-banner-sav.396027/
[I'd also have a few research threads of my own in here, but because of Canada Post's monumental fuck up, I haven't been able to do anything yet]

These were all posted within the same time as one another, roughly.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's been a few threads on it, actually:

1. TWLTool: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-twltool-dsi-downgrading-save-injection-etc-multitool.393488/
2. DSi RE - SD/MMC/SDIO: http://gbatemp.net/threads/dsi-reverse-engineering-sd-mmc-sdio-registers.395787/
3. Banner.sav: http://gbatemp.net/threads/dsi-what-is-banner-sav.396027/
[I'd also have a few research threads of my own in here, but because of Canada Post's monumental fuck up, I haven't been able to do anything yet]

These were all posted within the same time as one another, roughly.
That's a good start, but it needs more interest.
If anything, that is worthy a sub section in the DS section.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now