Nintendo DS Debug Dev Unit Cart

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I hope a temper doesn't get it as the average board member here probably doesn't have the hardware or experience to do more than just pull the out of the DS and run the dumper homebrew. This could very easily damage the electronics on the cart.

This really needs to go into the hands of someone who actually has access to an electronics lab at home/work and can actually investigate the internals of the cart. I would guess this cart would have more hardware available to it to allow for debugging and storage of games such as extra RAM, an EEPROM and maybe an FPGA as a controller. All these things wouldn't be dumped by your average homebrew software and could also be damaged by inserting/removing the cart from a DS while switched on.

It could also be that it includes an FPGA or another microcontroller that can communicate with the DS to put it into debug mode. This would really need someone with a good knowledge (at least degree level) of electronics to analyse.

pilot434

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really not all that interesting. It's looks like a diagnostic cart that the service department would use to fix warranty units. It's cool and all but not that cool. It's certainly not $100+ cool.

NintendyFan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pilot434 said:
It's really not all that interesting. It's looks like a diagnostic cart that the service department would use to fix warranty units. It's cool and all but not that cool. It's certainly not $100+ cool.

Whatever it is, there are very few of them in working condition still around and it's an official Nintendo cart. I think a collector knows it's value.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
stanleyopar2000 said:
funem said:
Snailface said:
Just a little idea . . . how about a GBAtemp pool to raise the money for this?

+1

I would donate $20 (actually I was going to suggest the same thing)

with 22 hours left and we are talking about this??......wow..

And why not, 10 people with $20 each would have a max bid of $200. 22 hours is a long time for the remainder of the auction. I doubt there is really anything of worth on the cart but its worth a punt.

NintendyFan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
funem said:
stanleyopar2000 said:
funem said:
Snailface said:

+1

And why not, 10 people with $20 each would have a max bid of $200. 22 hours is a long time for the remainder of the auction. I doubt there is really anything of worth on the cart but its worth a punt.

I've had some people tell me there could be all kinds of un-used sprites, etc for other games because it's happened with a similar cart on the SNES.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
NintendyFan said:
funem said:
stanleyopar2000 said:
funem said:
Snailface said:

+1

I've had some people tell me there could be all kinds of un-used sprites, etc for other games because it's happened with a similar cart on the SNES.

Look at the DK64 sprites on the FLICKER test..

wonder if they planned on making a DK 64 DS game?

all those Flicker sprites are on that cart somewhere
tongue.gif

I have a strange feeling that homebrew developers could really really use this....idk maybe it's just me over thinking.

Hell, I would love to just fiddle with this for a bit....
rolleyes.gif

I bet this cart could fix bricked DS's that were stuck dead by the malicious "taihen" / Dragon Quest IV fake DS virus DS.Bricker made by DarkFad0r ...or some name like that..

oh...and the DSi is refusing to run the FLICKER cart is because its firmware has been updated to block "unofficial" Nintendo DS carts *cougH*flashcarts.

since that cart is not supported...the DSi looks at it as a rouge cart..and blocks it.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo sniped the auction at the last second. Who knows what's on it? I mean, it's pretty obvious that there are tests and shit, but some intredasting shit like the Donkey Kong stuff could be on there. I'd like to see what they had planned originally.

NintendyFan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
stanleyopar2000 said:
NintendyFan said:
funem said:
stanleyopar2000 said:
funem said:
Snailface said:

+1

Look at the DK64 sprites on the FLICKER test..

wonder if they planned on making a DK 64 DS game?

all those Flicker sprites are on that cart somewhere
tongue.gif

I have a strange feeling that homebrew developers could really really use this....idk maybe it's just me over thinking.

Hell, I would love to just fiddle with this for a bit....
rolleyes.gif

I bet this cart could fix bricked DS's that were stuck dead by the malicious "taihen" / Dragon Quest IV fake DS virus DS.Bricker made by DarkFad0r ...or some name like that..

oh...and the DSi is refusing to run the FLICKER cart is because its firmware has been updated to block "unofficial" Nintendo DS carts *cougH*flashcarts.

since that cart is not supported...the DSi looks at it as a rouge cart..and blocks it.

Well, I would figure that too. I know fake DS games do the same. The only problem is that this is an official cart. The chip has the same "make-up of pre 2005 DS chips where "NINTENDO" is above the golden contacts and the 4 golden blocks are on the back. I've seen many fake carts, and they aren't close to looking like original carts like this.

I think it doesn't start up because of the DSi's and 3DS's system internals not being quite the same as the older models.. or the software calls out to the specific software of the older models.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
chao1212 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo sniped the auction at the last second. Who knows what's on it? I mean, it's pretty obvious that there are tests and shit, but some intredasting shit like the Donkey Kong stuff could be on there. I'd like to see what they had planned originally.

damn...if only the auction was closed to GBATEMP members...no Nintendo person could steal it
unsure.gif

the fucker who JinTrigger is going against knows what this is worth...he has made bids in

Entertainment Memorabilia > Video Game Memorabilia

like old video games.....
strikes me as a person who would not dump it and just keep it in their "nostalgic" collection
dry.gif

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
that son of a bitch is going to snipe us...they are bidding on a shitload of video game stuff less than an hour ago...so they are online.....they know that the bid has been increased and they have failed to respond......

that bastard has made the most bids on this product...so that shows they want it bad..

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is very interesting to see in physical form.

It's literally a pandora's box, not many know what the Cart has in it, or it's capabilities, but we all want to open it up.

I wish I was that lucky guy that got it.
dry.gif

NintendyFan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nimbus said:

It's literally a pandora's box, not many know what the Cart has in it, or it's capabilities, but we all want to open it up.

dry.gif

biggrin.gif
I just wish I was able to dump it and decode.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
NintendyFan said:
Nimbus said:

dry.gif

biggrin.gif
I just wish I was able to dump it and decode.

if you dumped it...the scene probably would have 95% less involvement about who got it
laugh.gif

due to the fact that its a DEBUG cart...and its UNRELEASED ROM..tempers are flippin shit
ohmy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Why does Psi have PMS?