Hardware Nintendo 3DS' gameplay time

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Well, since the cart size is 2GB, rather than putting more graphic details, I'd really like it if they put more content into it, and maybe for games with low initial space consumption DLCs, which gives more playtime

I mean, sure some DS games are capable of long playtime, but it's usually not, and when they do it's because of lots of level grinding, or harder difficulty level (which doesn't offer anything new, content speaking)

NDS cart is limited to 256 MB (or was it 512?) and with this relaxed space limit I hope they can elongate the playtime to be truly long this time

Range-TE

Trophies
Website
random-arrow.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Indonesia
i think it just depends on the whole gameplay it self, we might get a good game with not that much content, but if it plays slowly, it might increase gameplay time.

on the other hand, if it's like a speedy sonic game, it may have a whole lot of content, but the gameplay time might be not so long because we can clear a stage in, like, 2 minutes

IMO, it's more or less the same gameplay time as the DS or Wii

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's really up to how the game is made and how the developer wants to make the game. You could make a game like monster hunter or pokemon and get hundreds of hours of play with just the huge world. Or you could create a game where it's short but very awesome.

Nintendo doesn't tell the developers "hey don't worry about game time, make it all graphics". There could very well be a 2D sidescroller made by some developer that goes on FOR EVER. But then again, the longer the play time the longer it takes to make the game.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, this is a sticking point with me and modern games; the fact that they almost all have a definite end. Most of my favorite games are ones where you try to get the highest score and the only time the game ends is when you lose all your guys. Nothing irritates me more than having loads of fun playing a game, and then the credits roll, ending my fun.

That is why I've been disappointed with the DS. I thought with its relatively weak specs, I'd have more games where you could play infinitely until you lose all your guys. Obviously, I'm talking shmups primarily on this point.

It wouldn't be as annoying if a finite game is so long to begin with that once you play through it, your were ready for the game to end. But to developers, that just means an RPG.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, depending on which side of the fence you're on) I don't have time today to go into this discussion thoroughly. You see, today is street cleaning day and I have to get my car off the street between 8AM and 4PM or by 8:01 I will have a ticket on my car. The apartment I live in has no driveway and the street is the only place we have to park. So I get to waste fuel unnecessarily to "disappear" for 8 freakin' hours......with nowhere to really go. Yay for me.
toot.gif

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A game's gameplay time should be either really long (if it's an RPG of some kind) or infinite (if it's anything else, kinda like Rayder said). That said, if the game isn't any fun, making it longer won't do it any good. So it all depends on which game it is, actually. And I believe (hope?) that Nintendo knows that, too.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Actually I'm hoping for more content, which in turn increases playtime; like maybe for Professor Layton lots and lots and LOTS of puzzles
tongue.gif
or for RPG games more quests with unique characters (not generic but named characters)

I personally hate level grinding, because it simply blocks my advancement, not elongating it, so with that more space I kinda hope they have another way of giving more play time.

But still, true, ultimately it all depends on the gameplay

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ocarina of Time is on the 3DS so it has to have longer game play, looking forward to getting 100 bugs and all the bottles too. lol

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
It really depends. We tend to get shorter games now, on the HD consoles, than we did back in the day, but there are some (like RPGs) that last quite a bit longer than most games of any time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up