Nintendo 256GB SD Card

ZTTQ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Nintendo Switch 256GB SD Card for a while but now it can’t be detected neither on Windows or Switch.

I tried “Diskpart” but it says 0bytes
And “diskmgmt” doesn’t show the SD
And “chkdsk” is impossible because the SD Card can’t be detected or recognized by Windows.

I am using MXT SD to USB Reader.

Does anyone know how to make it readable again?

ZTTQ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you mean I got stolen I purchased from a trusted shop and it is from Nintendo it is supposed to have a long age.

Reactions: impeeza

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe the disk is fake.
I wouldn't say fake
If it worked before and now just cannot be read, i doubt it's a fake problem
I don't know what the problem could be, but when the SD card is fake, you can still read it with the console/PC except that the memory is flashed, meaning that the first (lets say) 16gb are real, the other part of the memory are fake and won't store anything

Reactions: ZTTQ and SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Either the reader is faulty or the card is corrupted. Here are ways to tell if this is the case:

- Open up the "Device Manager", right-click on the device and select 'Properties' and it will tell you if the device is properly functioning.

- In the 'Start Menu', type in the search box: "Create and format hard disk partitions" then select the first item that comes up. If the partition is unallocated or RAW, then you will need to delete the old partition and re-format it. Make sure it is the right one and that it matches the size of your SD card and not another device.

Reactions: ZTTQ

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Either the reader is faulty or the card is corrupted. Here are ways to tell if this is the case:

- Open up the "Device Manager", right-click on the device and select 'Properties' and it will tell you if the device is properly functioning.

- In the 'Start Menu', type in the search box: "Create and format hard disk partitions" then select the first item that comes up. If the partition is unallocated or RAW, then you will need to delete the old partition and re-format it. Make sure it is the right one and that it matches the size of your SD card and not another device.
My guess is on the card, since none of the reader (pc's or switch's) can read it from what he says

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My guess is on the card, since none of the reader (pc's or switch's) can read it from what he says
"h2testw" or "FakeFlashTest" is your next bet.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know these program, but based on their name, I doubt it will help him
As I said earlier, it doesn't seem like a problem related to if it's a fake card or not
If it could be read before and now not, it means it's something else, no?
The problem with fake card is just that they can't actually store what they say, right?

Reactions: ZTTQ and SylverReZ

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know these program, but based on their name, I doubt it will help him
As I said earlier, it doesn't seem like a problem related to if it's a fake card or not
If it could be read before and now not, it means it's something else, no?
The problem with fake card is just that they can't actually store what they say, right?
I have never seen any fake Nintendo branded SD cards in the wild from my knowledge, so it might be just a corrupted card. If none of these solutions help, then it might be best to just buy another SD card and get a full refund.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have never seen any fake Nintendo branded SD cards in the wild from my knowledge, so it might be just a corrupted card. If none of these solutions help, then it might be best to just buy another SD card.
and get a refund?

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly it sounds like it's broken. If two different systems can't see it. It really sounds damaged.
I can agree with you on this, it definitely sounds like the card was the culprit and neither the PC or reader was causing the issue.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unfortunately SD cards can be quite volatile and are be prone to an early death if they are succumbed to, too many read/write cycles. As a side note, don't remove them when the device they are in is powered on or if using a computer remember to first unmount them as this is known to cause random corruption of data and can possibly brick the card as well.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use something like AOMEI partition manager it should tell you if it's unallocated partition. Also you should try with a different sd card adapter, and usb reader.

ZTTQ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't say fake
If it worked before and now just cannot be read, i doubt it's a fake problem
I don't know what the problem could be, but when the SD card is fake, you can still read it with the console/PC except that the memory is flashed, meaning that the first (lets say) 16gb are real, the other part of the memory are fake and won't store anything
It worked well before with 256GB. but now it is unreadable
Post automatically merged:

Device Manager didn't show the SD Card.

h2testw: The reader appeared but no size it says: "Error accessing target."
FakeFlashTest: Neither the SD or the reader appeared

I have never seen any fake Nintendo branded SD cards in the wild from my knowledge, so it might be just a corrupted card. If none of these solutions help, then it might be best to just buy another SD card and get a full refund.
It been a long time since i purchased it they will not accept to refund me.

Unfortunately SD cards can be quite volatile and are be prone to an early death if they are succumbed to, too many read/write cycles. As a side note, don't remove them when the device they are in is powered on or if using a computer remember to first unmount them as this is known to cause random corruption of data and can possibly brick the card as well.
It was working well before i only connected it to my Nintendo Switch.

Use something like AOMEI partition manager it should tell you if it's unallocated partition. Also you should try with a different sd card adapter, and usb reader.
Tried the standard and the professional version and none of them recognized the SD or Reader.

Last edited by ZTTQ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch