Translation Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for the progress and providing information.
I edited the first post to reflect that, and I kept the previous progress from april, so users can see how much work has been done in 2 months and won't expect a release next month.

Reactions: oiie and Ricken

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, just some translation context for anyone that may not appreciate just how staggeringly large (and awesome!!) this game is:
- a 1% increase in translated text out of 34986 blocks of text is still ~350 *blocks* of text. A block, as mentioned above, can be up to 4 onscreen lines of Japanese text, and Japanese is a much more concise (character space-wise) written language than English.
- I spent 18 hours of translating / editing / cleanup (ie making phrases and names consistent) time over the past two weekends
- that only moved our translation % up by <2% and I was pretty brain exhausted by the end of it (but I am not our strongest translator)
- I didn't exclusively spend the time translating, but I was exclusively working on the game that entire time.

I'm not asking for praise or anything, but I am trying to give a sense of how much time people on the team are putting into this for even seemingly insignificant progress % stats.

Please be patient (but encouraging! we love encouragement!), and if you know anyone qualified to be a Japanese translator for the team we could probably use a few more solid translators because of how much text there is to translate still.

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a brand new Ni No Kuni for this. Damn that box was huge! Kinda felt sorry for my Japanese friend who had to lug it back to my country but you guys make her sweat worth it!

Reactions: Mr.ButtButt

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a brand new Ni No Kuni for this. Damn that box was huge! Kinda felt sorry for my Japanese friend who had to lug it back to my country but you guys make her sweat worth it!
how much did they charge it for? I see it goign for anywhere from $20 - $30, but it seems a little underpriced..

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
how much did they charge it for? I see it goign for anywhere from $20 - $30, but it seems a little underpriced..
I bought it for 1000 yen, which is more or less $10 from Amazon Japan. The price may have changed since I bought it last year.

I think the value dropped when the PS3 version got out. I mean you can buy a used version of this for 1 yen in Japan. People just want to get rid of it.

Last edited by Nirmonculus,

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought it for 1000 yen, which is more or less $10 from Amazon Japan. The price may have changed since I bought it last year.

I think the value dropped when the PS3 version got out. I mean you can buy a used version of this for 1 yen in Japan. People just want to get rid of it.
THe big collectors edition?? Is it bad or something?

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
THe big collectors edition?? Is it bad or something?
I think the normal edition is big because it includes a book, it's slightly bigger than a Brittanica encycloepedia. It's like a collector's edition but is just normal.

People in Japan aren't big collectors, they are still practical and minimalists, so they don't keep a lot of old stuff they feel they don't need.

Last edited by Nirmonculus,

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the normal edition is big because it includes a book, it's slightly bigger than a Brittanica encycloepedia. It's like a collector's edition but is just normal.
ooooh, so the normal edition came with a book. it looks like itd be a collectors edition because of the book, but it isnt. correct?

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
ooooh, so the normal edition came with a book. it looks like itd be a collectors edition because of the book, but it isnt. correct?
Yes, you can look it up online, puts a lot of DS standard editions to shame. Really beautiful packaging, it includes info on a few things like voice acting of popular actors and actresses in Japan at the time. I think for $20 it's still a good price for it.

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can look it up online, puts a lot of DS standard editions to shame. Really beautiful packaging, it includes info on a few things like voice acting of popular actors and actresses in Japan at the time. I think for $20 it's still a good price for it.
even $25? since you said most people are looking to jsut get rid of it

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was wondering if i should order it for the book and the game, or if i should jsut wait for the translation. I think I'll do both, now :)

I 100% recommend buying the game (with the book) - it isn't a special edition, the game just comes with the book. :) The fact that we're able to put together a fan translation at all is because the game exists and is amazeballs in the first place. We love this game, and we hope *everyone* that plays our English patch will buy a legit copy of the game because it is so cheap now and also such a gorgeous book and package!!

Please support the original game.

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
I 100% recommend buying the game (with the book) - it isn't a special edition, the game just comes with the book. :) The fact that we're able to put together a fan translation at all is because the game exists and is amazeballs in the first place. We love this game, and we hope *everyone* that plays our English patch will buy a legit copy of the game because it is so cheap now and also such a gorgeous book and package!!

Please support the original game.
Plus you won't be able to play with just the rom... you need the book and there is no pdf version online available.

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you need the book and there is no pdf version online available.

Yes. You need the book for things like the list of runes and for maps and such, and there is not currently an English version of the DS Magic Master book available online.

There are a few walkthroughs that will help you with the tricky bits if you don't have the book, but I don't believe any of them are complete yet. Some of our playtesters are taking decent notes about their playthroughs, so we may have enough info to cobble together a bit of a guide later on, but that is definitely not a priority at the moment. First we need to finish getting the whole game translated and playable, then we can worry about fancy extras to complement the ROM patch.

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. You need the book for things like the list of runes and for maps and such, and there is not currently an English version of the DS Magic Master book available online.

There are a few walkthroughs that will help you with the tricky bits if you don't have the book, but I don't believe any of them are complete yet. Some of our playtesters are taking decent notes about their playthroughs, so we may have enough info to cobble together a bit of a guide later on, but that is definitely not a priority at the moment. First we need to finish getting the whole game translated and playable, then we can worry about fancy extras to complement the ROM patch.
The reason why I got the game is because I want to study Japanese further, hopefully I could be of some help one day. XD

Anjiera

漫画 && ROM XL8R
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hows the translation going,can we get a demo patch something like that.
For progress, please see above.

Re: patches, we've seen a few other groups get C&Ds because they were very public about their patch progress - providing frequent updates via twitter, videos on youtube, and progress patch files. We all love this game and want you to be able to play the fully translated patch, so we are trying to keep things pretty low-key with this forum being one of the few places where we do post updates. The last thing we want is to give you partially translated patch files and then be told to not finish the rest of the translation. I know that lots of people want to play the game and that there is lots of interest in seeing how far along we are, but you'll just have to trust that the screenshot on the first post in addition to our occasional progress reports are proof enough that you'll get to play this someday - and someday sooner than if you waited for an official translation.

A few other people have said that they are going to buy the Japanese DS game (DS games were region free). I would encourage you to do that while it is relatively cheap to import. Other than that, stay tuned here and we'll keep you updated on our progress! (^_^)

K

KingpinSlim

I absolutely love what ALL of you people are doing.
This is a great undertaking and i think you should get much more praise than you seem to have gotten so far. Please keep going! Really excited for this!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted +1