NGP (PSP2) announced!

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
So they're basically making a handheld PS3, exactly the same mistake they made in making the PSP a handheld PS2. Can't see this round of handheld wars being any more balanced than the last one unfortunately.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
So they're basically making a handheld PS3, exactly the same mistake they made in making the PSP a handheld PS2.

What? You act like this is a bad thing.

I wouldn't say the PSP was a "handheld PS2", but if it was, then I'd be all over it. There's a reason the PS2 sold 150 million systems. It's an amazing system.

And the PS3, while I don't own one, looks pretty damn cool. I could definitely go with a handheld PS3.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Goli said:
RoMee said:
Rockstar said:
and your last statement is wrong

I got my psp when it first launched, and a good game will only come along once every other month, after crisis core I sold it because it was just collecting dust
Lately I have seen some good games, but not enough for me to go back and get another PSP
Just because you were out of loop in PSP games doesn't mean it didn't have good games during that period.

I didn't say it didn't have good games, I said there wan't enough good games for me to get another PSP
think about it, it's superior to the DS in hardware but struggling to stay ahead of a phone(iphone)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoMee said:
I didn't say it didn't have good games, I said there wan't enough good games for me to get another PSP

Then you have a shit taste in games. There's definitely more than enough good games to get a PSP, even if you just buy a model for around $100, a good memory stick for like $50 (if you want a gigantic one), and pirate everything.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
RoMee said:

Then you have a shit taste in games. There's definitely more than enough good games to get a PSP, even if you just buy a model for around $100, a good memory stick for like $50 (if you want a gigantic one), and pirate everything.
Yeah RoMee you can tell me what genre you like an I can give you a big list of PSP games for it

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
BlueStar said:
So they're basically making a handheld PS3, exactly the same mistake they made in making the PSP a handheld PS2.

I wouldn't say the PSP was a "handheld PS2", but if it was, then I'd be all over it. There's a reason the PS2 sold 150 million systems. It's an amazing system.

And the PS3, while I don't own one, looks pretty damn cool. I could definitely go with a handheld PS3.

The bad thing is that many games were just games that you could play at home and weren't tailored to the handheld format. Did I read right that NGP games are playable on the PS3? Does that not mean that

a) It's going to be difficult to tailor games for a handheld because they're going to be played on a big screen as well
and
b) The NGP is, by its very nature, going to have zero exclusives?

Unless you have to own an NGP to play NGP games on your PS3? Seems a bit of a dense move if someone's got a PS3 and has the choice of buying a system where they can play the games available for it anyway at home, compared to an alternative system which has unique games you can't play anywhere else? I've probably misunderstood ti though, I can't imagine Sony would be that stupid.

Goli

RPG
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
RoMee said:
Goli said:
RoMee said:
Rockstar said:
and your last statement is wrong

I got my psp when it first launched, and a good game will only come along once every other month, after crisis core I sold it because it was just collecting dust
Lately I have seen some good games, but not enough for me to go back and get another PSP
Just because you were out of loop in PSP games doesn't mean it didn't have good games during that period.

think about it, it's superior to the DS in hardware but struggling to stay ahead of a phone(iphone)
Why would you want to buy another one if you ALREADY have a fully functional one?
Oh wait, I'm stupid and misunderstood everything.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rockstar said:
Guild McCommunist said:
RoMee said:

Yeah RoMee you can tell me what genre you like an I can give you a big list of PSP games for it

Geez you guys are getting all mad, sound like a bunch of fanboys

When I had my PSP there was no good games, I mean a good game will come out once every other month
everyone even the media (gameinformer, ign etc) said the same thing.

yes, I haven't own a psp in a while, and yes lately there has been good games, and yes the PSP is superior to the DS hardware
than why is it struggling against a phone(iphone)?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Guild McCommunist said:
BlueStar said:

The bad thing is that many games were just games that you could play at home and weren't tailored to the handheld format. Did I read right that NGP games are playable on the PS3? Does that not mean that

a) It's going to be difficult to tailor games for a handheld because they're going to be played on a big screen as well
and
b) The NGP is, by its very nature, going to have zero exclusives?

Unless you have to own an NGP to play NGP games on your PS3? Seems a bit of a dense move if someone's got a PS3 and has the choice of buying a system where they can play the games available for it anyway at home, compared to an alternative system which has unique games you can't play anywhere else? I've probably misunderstood ti though, I can't imagine Sony would be that stupid.

A) Criticizing Sony for making console-quality games for a handheld? It's not like Nintendo's been remaking/porting home console games for handhelds nowadays. It's not like they're doing that for Ocarina of Time, Star Fox, and already did do it for Super Mario 64? Oh wait, it's fine for them because they're Nintendo! At least these "console games" are built from the ground-up for the PSP and work pretty damn well.

B) As for the NGP-to-PS3 thing, I'm assuming they'll do kinda like what Nintendo did with the DSi XL. Graphics will be noticeably worse on the PS3 but that's because they'll probably just stretch them. It won't look super pixelated though, I'm assuming. And odds are the games will be designed with the NGP in mind and the PS3 compatibility is probably just an afterthought.

C) It annoys me that people care more about exclusives than the quality of actual games. So many people say the Xbox sucks because it lacks exclusives. It still has an overall good library, but exclusives are everything! Christ, it doesn't matter what games on what system, if it's a good game it's a good game.

D) I do agree it's a bit dense to make all its games PS3-playable (assuming that you can just buy the game for the PS3), but odds are some games will be NGP focused. I mean, it does have the touchscreens and stuff, odds the "PS3-compatible" will be plugging your NGP into the PS3 and playing it on the big screen.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jiggah said:
The no good games on the PSP is such a lame excuse. It's more like "I didn't play any games on the PSP, but I heard people say that there are no good games on the PSP, so it must be true." It's like saying Nintendogs is the sole of the existence of the DS.

Not no good games, but they are as rare as rocking horse shit. There was just not enough games of any quality to make a PSP worth it. And most of the good games where not really handheld games but mini/gimped versions of the main console franchises with no real effort put in to make it work right.

QUOTEThe amount of tech in this thing is insanely crazy

Well yeah, if you forget about the amount of tech in any modern mobile phone, or say the 3DS
wink.gif
. And by the time it comes out it will be underpowered compared to a lot of smartphones too. It's not the amount of tech or even power that makes a good console but how it's used.

Range-TE

Trophies
Website
random-arrow.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Indonesia
impressive, but ultimately for me, it's the pricing and amount of exclusives it's gonna have.
but i don't think i'll be getting this in place of a 3DS, but hey, that's just me (besides, even the 3DS's price isn't that affordable for me atm, how can i afford this anyways)

another thing,
my favorite sony game againts my favorite Nintendo game, Uncharted and TLOZ OoT.
both portable = awesome.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, a good game is a good game. But if a decent amount of good games and, more importantly game mechanics are only available on one system, then you quickly build up a large userbase, which means developers are more likely to invest in developing good games for that system. The PSP didn't have enough unique selling points to build up that userbase, and that's why it was such a disappointment to Sony and many owners of the system. I'm struggling to see how this generation addresses any of the issues that made Sony's handheld offering such a distant second last time round.

We'll see in a few years I guess, won't we?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
Jiggah said:
The no good games on the PSP is such a lame excuse. It's more like "I didn't play any games on the PSP, but I heard people say that there are no good games on the PSP, so it must be true." It's like saying Nintendogs is the sole of the existence of the DS.

Not no good games, but they are as rare as rocking horse shit. There was just not enough games of any quality to make a PSP worth it. And most of the good games where not really handheld games but mini/gimped versions of the main console franchises with no real effort put in to make it work right.

Yet the DS gets thousands of low quality shovelware games and does get a good deal of mediocre ports but no one calls the games "gimped". I guess people would rather have "shitty" games then "gimped" ones.

I'd say that the handheld versions of some of the more Sony attuned franchises aren't gimped. God of War games were still plenty fun to play on the system. There's fantastic ports like Persona 3 which tons of people enjoyed (myself included). Peace Walker did a great job of not only feeling like a combination of all the good aspects of Metal Gear Solid games since they came out (the basics established by Metal Gear Solid, the controls of third person aspect of Metal Gear Solid 4, the teambuilding and mission breakdown of Portable Ops, etc), but it felt unique and like both a console and handheld game.

Even the stuff that is clearly modeled after its console counterparts works pretty damn well. Daxter still felt like the platforming of Jak and Daxter, Size Matters still felt very much like a Ratchet and Clank game, etc.

It's certainly not a gimped system.

Also, seeing this made the system almost essential to me: http://kotaku.com/5744571/metal-gear-solid...layable-on-psp2

Possibility of PS3 games going portable or at least coming to the handheld? Even if it does just MGS4, I'm sold.

SoraKeyofFate

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
eww
why are the psx controls ON the screen. I know it's touch screen, but the PSP2 has freakin BUTTONS. The touch controls in emulators suck from what I've used on the iPhone.
Not meaning to troll or anything.
I'm not exactly quite clear on the features. It looks pretty impressive with the GPS and stuff. I haven't watched anything yet, but are there any useful applications.
The 3DS seems to be a bit more useful in terms of applications and interacting with other people. But of course, the PSP2's only just been revealed, and I haven't read anything.

On a side note, I REALLY hope that kingdom hearts doesn't expand to this because of the fact that I don't think my wallet can manage all these consoles...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoraKeyofFate said:
eww
why are the psx controls ON the screen. I know it's touch screen, but the PSP2 has freakin BUTTONS. The touch controls in emulators suck from what I've used on the iPhone.

I've got a strong feeling it'll be a option to choose between touch screen controls or buttons. But yeah, I hate the "virtual buttons" on iPhone games. If they force touchscreen controls for PSX games I'll be sticking to my PSP for PSX games.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
While I suspect this is going to be ungodly-expensive (not even including the exorbitant monthly fee for a 3G subscrption, which I personally feel is pointless and unneeded on a handheld gaming device), that's about the only downside to it I can see. It's returned to a sensible design, dropped the failed UMD format (though I think it would be a good gesture for Sony to offer existing customers the option of downloading digital versions of their UMD games, given the lack of backwards compatibility), adopted cartridges, and stayed away from the PSPGo's restrictive and consumer-unfriendly digital-only distribution model.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
MGS4 is pretty much the perfect example of the kind of game you don't want to play on a handheld, a system more suited to quick bursts of gameplay. I don't want to spend my journey to work watching half a cut scene and then watching the second half of it on the way back, followed by 3 mintues of gameplay. Sony simply can't grasp what makes a good handheld system and the best they can hope for this generation is to wrestle with iDevices for a respectable second, based on today's lacklustre reveal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lesbians invented babies +2