Hacking NGC games not showing in USB Loader GX

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know why users are still thinking NTFS is required for Wii games.
the ISO are split in multiple 4GB files if needed.
Wii ISO are working find on FAT32, there is no file size limitation.

but, yeah, dual partition (NTFS+FAT32) works fine. there's nothing wrong in using NTFS, except if you think you NEED it because ISO are bigger than 4GB, then you are losing a lot of free space on your drive by not converting the game to wbfs files.
unless there's a real problem with fat32 ? (some 9GB dual layer games might have issues with some users, and using a full iso might help)

Last edited by Cyan,

justjack

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Years ago I tried a full fat32 setup and games like Brawl or Other M were having issues at some specific points because they were split. Since then I've been using a ntfs/fat32 setup. I don't know if that was fixed with later cios revisions (this was probably before the d2x cios were even a thing).

Last edited by justjack, , Reason: Fixed typo

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I'm trying to say about d2x. There really can't be any issues due to the filesystem or split files. The loader doesn't send the cIOS the filenames. It sends a list of the sectors the game takes up. The cIOS only uses a file system for emulated NAND functions and that feature only works with FAT32. A Wii game should run on an unformatted drive if you send d2x a list of the sectors the disc image is written to.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you are right, it shouldn't make a difference as it's based on fragment system, whatever the partition format is.
I think there's a limit of fragments sent to wbfs library, maybe the issue happen because the file is too much fragmented? (or course bigger files tend to get more fragmented than small games)

Last edited by Cyan,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From d2x DIP plugin frag.h: "#define FRAG_MAX 20000" :)

Split games can malfunction if the second file isn't named properly. In that case the loader doesn't recognize it as a continuation of the .wbfs file and leaves its fragments out of the list.

Reactions: Cyan

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some people it works fine. For others it doesn't. There is no advantage in using anything other than FAT32. d2x cIOS does not care what the filesystem is. It supports only WBFS partitions or a list of the sectors for the game.
thing is, I wasn't up for reconverting my iso's to wbfs on a fat32 drive so it split it up to be within the size limit of fat32 files, I will do it later as even I understand that it would be best just to have 1 partition to keep crap simple

csdesigns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check that:
you have USB path to : usb1:/games/
If you use d2x r53, you need to enable both USB ports at the same time in hdd settings > usb ports > both (don't bother with "list all partitions", it's only affecting wii games)
if you use d2x r53, you'll have to change to USB2:/games/
if you have a mix of r52 and r53, set the loader's IOS to r53 slot, but the Wii game's IOS to r52 slot. <-- it's probably the best method for dual usb to keep incremental USB mount order.
Cyan, just wanted to say that I registered here solely to say thank you and to also possibly provide some insight to others who may run into similar issues. Your tips above are spot on, however the steps required to engage all suggestions may be a little difficult to initially decipher (they were for me at least). Let me explain:
  • I followed the guide listed at CompleteSoftmodGuide to get cIOS installed. This guide suggests d2x r53 and r52 to be installed during the process
  • I could get Wii games to show up in the loader, but GCN were no go
  • Initially, I was not seeing the option to enable both USB ports in the HDD settings, only Port 0 was selectable (I think). But I eventually discovered that this was because I already had a USB drive plugged into physical port #2 (or 'port1', technically {it is the port nearest to the center of the console}; I have to do this because my drive is not recognized at all in port0 {the one nearest to the edge, to use your terminology}). When I unplugged the drive from the Wii and rebooted ULGX, I could now go into the settings and set the USB Port to 'Both Ports'!
  • So, I plugged the drive back in and rebooted into ULGX (still have to use port1 as port0 won't recognize my drive however)
  • My GCN games still weren't listed, so I had to go into the Custom Paths menu and for the 'Main Gamecube' path click the middle button for the proper storage device multiple times until it got to the 'usb2:/' option and I could then select my games folder on that drive – the odd and confusing thing here is that even though my Wii only recognizes my USB drive in port1 and I only have one drive plugged in, when I select 'usb1:/', the directory listing with all of my files and games are present, so you have to be careful to pay attention to ensure you click through enough to properly select 'usb2:/', just as you noted
After I did the above, I can now list my games and launch! Thanks for your excellent support!!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
when you use 2 USB devices at the same time, the "USBx" number refers to the partition.
USB1:/ and USB2:/ etc. up to USB8:/ are partition, listed in the order they are found and mounted.

When you use a cIOS, the USB Ports are checked in incremental order, having the partitions on USB Port0 loaded before partitions from the device plugged into USB Port 1.
When you use IOS58, the USB Ports are checked in decremental order, thus having Port1 mounted before Port0!

If you use IOS58 inside the loader (it's a loader's setting), the path should be "usb1:/games"
if you use cIOS inside the loader, then the gamecube path need to be set to "usb2:/games" (or whatever other partition number where your gamecube games are, it could be usb4:/ if you have 3 partitions on the other drive).

also, if you followed the "completesoftmodGuide", I don't recommend keeping the setup they told you if you don't need 2 HDD at the same time. (you need it, so that's fine)
If you don't need 2 HDDs, don't mix d2x version ! (r52 OR r53, based on whether you need access to USBPort1 or not)

the best base is base57, with their setup if you want to use base57 (slot250), you'll lose access to port 1 :/

reinstall both slot to either r52 or r53, with the same bases.

but like I said in the post you quoted, you need to also make attention to the Wii compatibility if you use r53 (some games don't like that, and a mix of both r52 and r53 is a good idea, BUT with both set to base57 as it's required for few games)
that's why CSGuide is not very useful, and sometime even bad.

Last edited by Cyan,

csdesigns

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again Cyan. Sounds like even more really useful tips. Looks like I'll need to redo the ULGX setup when I have the opportunity!

darkspirit386

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone!
Hopefully, y'all can help me. I seem to have the same problem here. I've been busting my balls for 3 days now and I just can't get ULGX or Nintendont to see my Gamecube Isos. Both Wii and NGC games are on the same HDD(Fat32), on the right USB port, wii games in WBFS folder, NGC in games. The wii games work just fine. The NGC, even Nintendon't can't find them. They're all isos, I tried playing with settings, filepaths, different versions of loaders and cios. I'm not sure where to go to next. I'm on vWii (WiiU) btw.
Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by darkspirit386,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT